Skip to content

[MOD] Verr'Sza NPC (for BGEE and SoD)

Comments

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    @Mirandel Petrify-recognition responses:
    IF~Class(LastTalkedToBy,MAGE_ALL)~THEN REPLY ~Are you aware of the fact that I'm a mage and I can recognize a petrified creature when I see one?~ EXTERN L#1MVS Mage005 IF~Class(LastTalkedToBy,BARD)~THEN REPLY ~Are you aware of the fact that I'm a bard and I can recognize arcane magic pretty well? This is not a simple statue.~ EXTERN L#1MVS Mage005 IF~CheckStatGT(LastTalkedToBy,16,WIS)~THEN REPLY ~I've read many books about arcane arts and my tutor taught me about petrification. It's not a statue. It's a creature turned to stone.~ EXTERN L#1MVS Mage005
    MirandelLavaDelVortel
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    "IF~CheckStatGT(LastTalkedToBy,16,WIS)" - means Wis > 16, or >= 16 ? Because just tested again:

Character - Cleric/Ranger. Wis 16 (no cheating). 2 dialog options:
    - Is it your statue?
    - What a nice statue.

with following "why are you so nervous" and end of dialog.

Scroll StF (even the one I bought in the Temple) does not change anything no matter where it is - in the inventory or in the quick slot.

Xzar brings up the right option, though (and in addition to be a mage he has a Wis 16).

edited June 2017
    Mirandel said:

"IF~CheckStatGT(LastTalkedToBy,16,WIS)" - means Wis > 16, or >= 16 ? Because just tested again:

Character - Cleric/Ranger. Wis 16 (no cheating). 2 dialog options:
    - Is it your statue?
    - What a nice statue.

with following "why are you so nervous" and end of dialog.

Scroll StF (even the one I bought in the Temple) does not change anything no matter where it is - in the inventory or in the quick slot.

Xzar brings up the right option, though (and in addition to be a mage he has a Wis 16).

Greater than, not equal. 16 wisdom is too low (honestly I think it should be INT, but I'm not the writer)
    LavaDelVortel
    edited June 2017
    Aha, now everything is clear (and I had to understand "CheckStatGT" - too new to modding to pay attention).

If there are no plans to change anything about mod itself (lowering and/or changing stat, adding some directions from another NPC, letting mages/bard in the group react by themselves with interjection) - may be it's worth to add conditions to the mod description? I might be not the only one puzzled :)
    Wise_Grimwald
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,666
    I believe that there are enough hints :) I don't want all details to be there, from A to Z, without giving players a chance to think how to deal with certain matters :) After all you found your way how to join him and some people may also find their ways. Mayhap they will even find some new ways with another run, when they will be playing some new Bhaalspawn.

Aside from that, I think I can tell you that many dialogues were written for the BG2EE portion. Both romantic and non-romantic content. There are many dialogues, thought, that are yet to be written! :)
    MirandelZaghoulWise_Grimwald
    That's a great news! So looking forward to BG2 run with him.
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    Without spoiling too much about him please answer these questions

1. I know that he is CE, can he work with a non-evil party in much the same way that Dorn can (i.e. Dorn's quest is for revenge and the obviously evil things aren't until BG2) or Baeloth can (a surprisingly nice guy really) or Viconia (same argument as Baeloth, but more honor bound than nice)
    2. I know he is Rakshasa, does the (insert species here) recognition text see him as that?
    3. Does he have quests?
    There is a thread for Verr. But I'll answer these as someone who helped Lava proofread the mod.

1. I know that he is CE, can he work with a non-evil party in much the same way that Dorn can (i.e. Dorn's quest is for revenge and the obviously evil things aren't until BG2) or Baeloth can (a surprisingly nice guy really) or Viconia (same argument as Baeloth, but more honor bound than nice)

He is... tolerable, for lack of a better word. Some NPCs don't like him a whole lot, but a few good NPCs actually get along decently (Coran, for one). He does not have any conflicts as far as I remember.

2. I know he is Rakshasa, does the (insert species here) recognition text see him as that?

His race will display in the character record and in dialogue as 'rakshasa' if he's the one initiating conversation.

3. Does he have quests?

Yes. I don't remember if there are journal entries, but he does have personal events.
    LavaDelVortelJuliusBorisov
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    Thanks
    @Artemius_I
    I appreciate it.
    @JuliusBorisov - any chance you could merge this thread with Verr's main topic?
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    Done!
    LavaDelVortelNoobaccalolien
  • NoobaccaNoobacca Member Posts: 139
    edited July 2017
    @LavaDelVortel congrats on the mod, it looks great! I'll definitely try it later this afternoon when I have some time. A quick question though (and apologies if it has already been mentioned and I've over looked it); does Verr have a completely new ranger kit with some new abilities? Or is his kit identical to a ranger with the exception of being evil?

EDIT: Never mind, I installed and checked for myself! Looks great so far, the only thing I've noticed (and it's very minor!) is that some of his abilities have different descriptions when you right click them...

Right clicking on his "Claws" ability shows the description for Shillelagh and his "Shapeshift Human Form" shows the Barkskin description. As I said, not game breaking or anything, just thought I'd let you know.

Again, great mod :smiley:
    Post edited by Noobacca on
    Yes, well, this was probably before either Lava or I realized you could access spell descriptions by right clicking icons now. That wasn't a feature of the old games.
    Noobacca
    Yeah, that's exactly what happened. There is a chance it will be fixed in the next release as there will be one, but I'm not sure when.
    NoobaccaWise_Grimwald
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    hello, are you planning to make bg2 and ToB content someday?
    edited July 2017
    Hey, @Arthas - I wrote about that already :P Writing BG2EE part takes much time, though, as it's going to be probably twice as big.
    NoobaccalolienWise_Grimwald
    edited October 2017
    I have a question about meta-text: do you think that replies in joining dialogues which set variables to for example should be marked somehow? For example, in Verr'Sza BG2, upon joining dialogue you may act as if the two of you met for the same time (and enforce dialogues that will follow that pattern) or you may recognize to continue the relationship from BG1. Such notes in dialogues may break immersion for a moment, but on the other hand they may be helpful for some players. How those notes would look like? Probably like:
    IF~~THEN REPLY ~(BG2 Standalone relationship) Stop! Who are you?~ EXTERN L#2VERR XXX-1
    IF~~THEN REPLY ~(Continue your BG1 relationship) Verr'Sza? Is that you?~ EXTERN L#2VERR XXX-2
    ...or should dialogues be left note-free?

(I'm not promissing that I will follow majority of opinions, but I may need some feedback to make up my mind)
    Zaghoul
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    edited October 2017
    For me, when I meet a character for the first time, or after having skipping some events, it IS immersion breaking if they act as if they knew me before OR they comment on events that they were missing for part of. I know the game plays catch up with comments but still, just seems off to go that route.
    I like the notes, yes :) if I am understanding them correctly.

Just as a mention, the beginning of BG2 is bad with this, having never traveled with the other cellmates on most runs I did. I usually just RP it away as some attempt at deception on their part or my own mind.
    LavaDelVortel
    it IS immersion breaking if they act as if they knew me before OR they comment on events that they were missing for part of.

In BG2 it is player who decide if that's their first meeting or a continuation of BG1 relationship. As for them commenting on some part... well, without setting a special variable for almost every quest/event in the game and check if a NPC is in the party, that's impossible. Also that would mean MANY alternative lines...

I like the notes, yes :) if I am understanding them correctly.

It's mostly about leaving the notes in the talk, so people well aware they are setting important variables that will determine rest of the mod.

Waiting for more thoughts :)
    There are a few instances in the base game where the player can choose whether to acknowledge former acquaintances or not. Edwin, Tazok, Coran, etc, etc.
    LavaDelVortel
    Yeah, but here picking one option changes how for example romance proceeds. Or talks about how they met in BG1. Results are much greater than 2-3 lines and I don't want someone picking an option by accident, because for example he/she did not understand the context.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Had an interesting bug with Verr'za on my current playthrough. When I recruited him into my party, not only did a script fire to disable his ranger spells, it also disabled the spells of my Ranger/Cleric.
    edited November 2017
    Hmm, that's really weird. I'm not sure I can help you now, on a run. I mean, I am looking at the file and I just can't see anything wrong. Perhaps there's some other problem? Are you sure you for example did not loose reputation and as a result perhaps you lost your rangerhood? I checked the spell and it should affect only 1 character (and that would be Verr'Sza).
    Even if I don't find it right now, I will check that again before releasing a new version, as it's planned. However, I would need @swit to come back, as he suggested some small changes/improvements here and there. I will try to release it before Verr BG2 is here. Let's hope Swit will come back soon :)

EDIT:
    Oh, btw! You may try to use EE Keeper to check party member's states/effect and... perhaps it will show up there and you'll be able to get rid of it?
    ThacoBell
    edited November 2017
    @LavaDelVortel It's definitely strange. If I figure anything out, I'll post back here.

*edit* Its definitely not rep. I'm at 13 and have had no rep drops.
    Thanks! Keep me updated :) and check EE Keeper, I hope it will help you to get rid of the problem.
    @LavaDelVortel EEKeeper say the effect is a "Specified Target" so I dunno why it would target charname. Maybe one of the other mods I'm using uses one of those opcodes for another purpose? THe only thing I can think of is the sphere access mod I use.
    Not sure what's there, but if there are any weird effects on your main character, get rid of it and check if it solves the problem. Just keep your original savegame in case you deleted something that should be there :)
    ThacoBell
    @LavaDelVortel Did a clean install and now the error doesn't occur. Dunno what happened, but I'll take it.
    LavaDelVortel
    Thanks for letting me know :)
    No problem. For the record, my initial install was also a clean one, and I didn't change install order. I think we can chalk this up to whatever spirit inhabits the Infinity Engine.
    LavaDelVortelZaghoullolien