Custom portrait resets after reload

lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
edited August 2019 in Troubleshooting
Post edited by lefreut on
Gate70

Comments

• hybridialhybridial Member Posts: 291
    edited October 2017
    I'm having the same problem only with the main BG2EE game affecting 1 character as I basically play PC + 1 custom party member, I'd appreciate it anyone knows a fix.

Just to flesh out the problem a bit more, I notice that whenever using the party creation screen, and importing character files, the first one will always show the correct portraits. The rest reset the protraits of all pregenerated characters, and indeed when using them the portraits reset whenever reloading. This did not happen on BGEE.
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    I had a portrait reset problem earlier, but found that changing the name of the files to all lower case except the final L, M or S worked for me. I only use the portraits folder for my custom portraits and haven't had a prob since... Might work. I might add that this wasn't in Black Pits but the game itself.

Gus
    JuliusBorisov
  • hybridialhybridial Member Posts: 291
    Yes Gusinda that worked. It does seem like the portraits always find ways to be weird if they don't like something about the file names, but that explains a lot why it was doing that.
    Gusinda
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited August 2019
    Hi @lefreut, I just started a Black Pits game to try and reproduce the prob and couldn't. Each reload always bought in the right images. I run all my custom portraits out of the portraits folder. Any chance you could upload a saved game and the custom pics to have a look at?

I also noticed you only mentioned L in the comment above. I take it the you also have the portaits with M and S in the filenames (or at least M)? I only use L ( 420 x 660) and M (210x 330) portraits.

Gus
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    I have the same problem, but just with one character's portrait.
    edited August 2019
    Gate70
    edited October 2017
    Hi @lefreut - Tried the saved game and indeed got the same results. I then changed the second portrait with one of my custom pics and all was good.

Opened my game and changed the a couple of portraits to be the same and reproduced the problem... the portraits that were the same reverted to default, the others remained with their set portrait.

Made some copies of your pitcure and renamed them. Having f#01.bmp and f#02.bmp gave the same results (reverting portrait back to default) but having f#01L.bmp, f#01M.bmp, f#02L.bmp and f#02M.bmp had the portraits loading where they should each time I reloaded. I am guessing the the game is expecting different portraits files to be used as well as expecting L & M. I didn't try just having M in the filename but I have to disappear right no. Will try later.

Gus

Edit: OK. Tried with just M at the end of each image (deleted the L files) and reloads show the portraits where they should be. Changed the first to be the same file as the second; the second image resets to default male portrait.

I also tried the same in the game itself. Set Khalid's image to use the same filename as my CHARNAME and reloaded. Khalid's portrait became the default image.

I surmise from this that the game is expecting to use different files for each portrait and is also expecting at least the M file for each portrait.
    Post edited by Gusinda on
    Gate70lefreutJuliusBorisov
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    @Gate70
    Has this bug been reported in the readmine?
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    Hi
    From the above and a little bit of investigation it appears to affect all portraits, custom or otherwise. Using a supplied portrait (e.g. the first female portrait) for both characters sees the second one changed on reload.

This behaviour looks a bit like the game action when you have used a NPC's original portrait (e.g. Kivan below) so there might be an intended behaviour having a wider impact.

I can't see anything reported for so if someone wants to add one we can get it into the pot.
    AedanJuliusBorisov
    edited August 2019
    GusindaJuliusBorisov