Skip to content

[MOD] The Chaos Sorcerer: A Wild Magic Kit for Sorcerers

Comments

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    edited October 2017
    Mirandel said:

You are one of the main reason I can not settle down with one mod set-up - always something new and shiny!

TBH, this mod wasn't planned at all. I was just testing an idea which turned into a full-fledged mod very quickly. (I should be more careful in the future.)
    AedaninethNoobacca
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    argent77 said:

Mirandel said:

You are one of the main reason I can not settle down with one mod set-up - always something new and shiny!

TBH, this mod wasn't planned at all. I was just testing an idea which turned into a full-fledged mod very quickly. (I should be more careful in the future.)
    And I will hope you stay as "careless" as you are now :) Still waiting for that Shadow sorcerer kit :)
    ronaldoAedanFlashburn
  • Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    This looks awesome. Thank you argent77
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    edited October 2017
    argent77 said:

New version: Chaos Sorcerer Kit v1.1

Changelog:
    • Added compatibility section to readme.
    • Changed spell description of Chaos Shield to be more universal.
    • Worked around an issue with Spell Revisions that made NRD a forced spell choice for Chaos Sorcerers.
    • DEX bonus doesn't show as "green number" in Record Screen anymore.
    Workin just fine now, thanks. B)
    argent77
    Nice changes. :) I 'met' one of the Greater Chaos Elementals during a chaotic weave surge, so he will be welcomed as a possible friendly for sure.

New version: Chaos Sorcerer Kit v2.1

This is a quick bugfix release. Last version didn't properly add one of the primordial artifacts to an SoD area. It will also fix some minor issues with starting equipment if you start a new character in SoD or ToB.
    AedanMirandelFlashburnZaghoul
  • southfla79southfla79 Member Posts: 214
    getting this error when installing v2.1. EET install.

ERROR: No translation provided for @1708
    ERROR: parsing [override/QDSPLSOR.d]: Not_found
    ERROR: compiling [override/QDSPLSOR.d]!
    ERROR: Not_found
    Add "Primordial Artifacts" (Chaos Sorcerer Kit) was not installed due to errors.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    edited October 2017
    @subtledoctor Indeed, that's the case. Thanks for the hint.

@southfla79 That's a bug which is triggered only under very specific circumstances. It'll be fixed in the next release.

In the meantime you can fix this issue with the attached zip file. Unpack it to the same location you have unpacked the main mod archive (A7-ChaosSorcerer-v2.1.zip) before installing the mod component "Add Primordial Artifacts". It updates the buggy scripts.

New version: Chaos Sorcerer Kit v2.2

Changelog:
    • Increased overall power of primordial artifacts when combined
    • Improved spell "Surge Control"
    • Fixed an installation bug in the "Add Primordial Artifacts" component
    ZaghoulAedanFlashburn
  • southfla79southfla79 Member Posts: 214
    forgot to post back. the new files worked. thanks!
    Thanks for the mod. I had a real 'blast' completing BG with the CS. Powerful in the extreme, esp. with the ability to weave ligher lvl spells not seen in BG. I found spell choices not to be quite as much of a drawback as I could weave practically whatever spell I did not have if it was needed. B)
    Yeah, maybe a bit too powerful for a low level character. Especially since there is a (slim) chance to cast level 9 spells even with a lowly level 1 Chaos Sorcerer. I'll see if I can rebalance the spell a bit.
    argent77 said:

Yeah, maybe a bit too powerful for a low level character. Especially since there is a (slim) chance to cast level 9 spells even with a lowly level 1 Chaos Sorcerer. I'll see if I can rebalance the spell a bit.

Please, don't! So far it's wonderful! To get lucky once in a while is half the fun!
    I'm already in the middle of the rebalancing process. It'll be both a (slight) nerf and an improvement. Access to level 9 spells will be removed for the first two or three levels, but at the same time I will greatly expand the pool of available spell selection lists for each tier. I'm also planning to list the odds of all spell selection lists and their content in the Readme.
    MirandelZaghoul

New version: Chaos Sorcerer Kit v2.3

Changelog:
    • Added Polish translation (thanks @Cahir )
    • Increased duration of spell "Conjure Greater Chaos Elemental"
    • Improved IWD:EE spell icons for "Conjure (Greater) Chaos Elemental"
    • Improved combat scripts of (Greater) Chaos Elementals and fixed some bugs
    • Innate effects and immunities of (Greater) Chaos Elementals should not be dispellable
    • Greatly improved and rebalanced spell "Chaotic Weave"
    • Added odds for all available spell lists of "Chaotic Weave" to readme
    • Made a number of Chaos Sorcerer-specific spells available to "Chaotic Weave" spell lists
    • Fixed magic school of Nahal's Wildstrike
    inethFlashburnZaghoulMirandel
    Do you think it's possible to re-install new version without full re-install of all other mods?
    Mine did fine when the chaos sorcerer was my last mod. It changed the spells anyway. If I had already been to the location of the artifact I would not have been able to get that afterwards though.
    I think Mirandel's concern is the bunch of mods installed after this mod, which had to be re-installed as well (without guarantee of success).

I don't think that's possible. But if all you need are the updated spells "Chaos Weave" and "Conjure Greater Chaos Elemental", then I can probably provide the required files. You'd have to manually update the spell names and description strrefs though.
    I can live without artefact, what I would not like to get is "artifacts" in spells/skills/dialogs. And my installation was with BWS :(
    argent77 said:

I think Mirandel's concern is the bunch of mods installed after this mod, which had to be re-installed as well (without guarantee of success).

I don't think that's possible. But if all you need are the updated spells "Chaos Weave" and "Conjure Greater Chaos Elemental", then I can probably provide the required files. You'd have to manually update the spell names and description strrefs though.

That would be fantastic! Especially with an instruction how to change the spell names :)
    edited November 2017
    @Mirandel The attached zip file contains all the relevant files. Follow these instructions to make it work:
    1. Start NI and write down the strrefs for a bunch of resources:
    - A7_CEL1A.CRE: "Name" strref of Chaos Elemental
    - A7_CEL2A.CRE: "Name" strref of Greater Chaos Elemental
    - A7_SP01.SPL: "Spell name" and "Spell description" strrefs of Chaotic Weave
    - A7_SP04.SPL: "Spell name" and "Spell description" strrefs of Conjure Greater Chaos Elemental

2. Unpack the attached zip into the game's override.

3. Refresh or restart NI and update the following resources:
    - A7_CEL1A.CRE, A7_CEL1B.CRE, A7_CEL1C.CRE: Name and Tooltip fields with "Chaos Elemental" strref
    - A7_CEL2A.CRE, A7_CEL2B.CRE, A7_CEL2C.CRE: Name and Tooltip fields with "Greater Chaos Elemental" strref
    - A7_SP01.SPL: Spell name and description fields with "Chaotic Weave" name and description strrefs
    - A7_SP04.SPL: Spell name and description fields with "Conjure Greater Chaos Elemental" name and description strrefs

4. Rename existing folder "A7-ChaosSorcerer" in game directory and unpack the latest mod version

5. Execute "setup-A7-ChaosSorcerer.exe" and choose to install the second component - Recreate "Chaos Weave" spell selection lists. Skip everything else. (This component ignores mod installation order and recreates spell lists for "Chaotic Weave" based on the available spells in your game installation.)

6. Remove folder "A7-ChaosSorcerer" and rename original folder back to "A7-ChaosSorcerer".

You won't get the "Conjure Greater Chaos Elemental" spell though, if you try to update from an older 1.x release.
    Post edited by argent77 on
    Mirandel
    Yeah, I did notice that the newer update did not add the Conjure greater spell. My easy fix was I just EEkeeperd in the conjure greater spell (added spell to my character's spell list after your earlier update that I reinstalled.

Many thanks! I will be updating from v2.2 (I believe), so, should not be a problem.
    I'm currently doing a full EET run with a Chaos Sorcerer and having a blast. Chaotic Weave can turn pretty much any tables if you can manage to let off a high level spell without killing yourself or the whole party. High level summons, such as Fire Elementals or Greater Chaos Elementals can destroy everything in their path. And sometimes you're rewarded with something like this:

Btw, I've noticed a potential (engine?) bug when casting spells via "Chaotic Weave". It happens only very rarely. But when it happens it can be exploited to the extreme. The bug prevents the spell selection list from being closed when you select a spell. As a result you can continue casting spells from the list indefinitely, without further Wild Surges and as if under Improved Alacrity effect. Has anyone noticed this bug as well?

It happened just recently when I battled Aec'Letec, where I simply bombarded the whole crowd with dozens of Horrid Wiltings, mixed with the occasional Incendiary Cloud and Time Stop.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    argent77 said:

Btw, I've noticed a potential (engine?) bug when casting spells via "Chaotic Weave". It happens only very rarely. But when it happens it can be exploited to the extreme. The bug prevents the spell selection list from being closed when you select a spell. As a result you can continue casting spells from the list indefinitely, without further Wild Surges and as if under Improved Alacrity effect. Has anyone noticed this bug as well?

Any two Spell Select effects going off at the same time can do it.
    Just put two Spell Immunities in a Chain Contingency and you can see the same.
    The submenu will stay open until you do deselect the character.
    Works with 2xNahal's/Minor Sequencer in BGEE as well, you just have to manage the first wild surge.
    argent77
    edited November 2017
    Interesting. I wonder how two Spell Select effects can be triggered at the same time by this spell. The spell list effect probabilities are not overlapping and the spell itself uses Flags bit 15 (Ignore Wild Surge) to prevent Wild Surge effects (such as "cast spell twice").

Btw, sometimes I'm also experiencing the opposite. Casting the spell "Chaotic Weave" triggers sound and visual effects, but doesn't open the spell selection list.
    Zaghoul
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    edited November 2017
    Are you running an Autopause? It can cause multiple probability results for a given spell.

A7_SP4N.2DA is not getting copied, so that might be your "no open list" culprit.
    kjeron said:

Are you running an Autopause? It can cause multiple probability results for a given spell.

A7_SP4N.2DA is not getting copied, so that might be your "no open list" culprit.

Good catch. A7_SP4N.2DA should not be referenced at all. Will be fixed. (It'll only affect casters at level 12 to 15 with a probability of 2 percent.)

Yes, I have "Auto-Pause: Spell cast" enabled. That's quite a big issue though. With a test spell I could trigger from zero up to three different effects with different probabilities at the same time that way.