Skip to content

[obsolete] Big World Setup (BWS): Mod Manager for Baldur's Gate / Enhanced Edition (Trilogy)

Comments

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,853
    Vesko said:

hmmmmm, well the save works, though Minsc now has extra spell slot outside of those he got as lvl up bonus, which CANT be used, probably our games difference. Or i messed too much w eekeeper, ehehe. I just killed avalon and took her scroll. and added xp as if i talked to her. it worked. But i do appreciate your solution , wouldve used it if i didnt think of this/tried this method. :-) its such a good thing to be able to count on someones help when you need it. :-)

The extra spell slot could be made useable if you so desire using EE keeper.
  • VeskoVesko Member Posts: 28
    heh, im cheating as it is anyways w half-successful multiclass multikit npcs and main char. Would be overkill. Thx. :-)
  • RAZANONRAZANON Member Posts: 1
    i need some clues, when i install BWS i had all downloaded mods in a folder of my choice, but, are the mods installed? or i need to manually install all the mods? sorry a newbie here hehe
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    RAZANON said:

i need some clues, when i install BWS i had all downloaded mods in a folder of my choice, but, are the mods installed? or i need to manually install all the mods? sorry a newbie here hehe

There are several steps in BWS - one is to download the mods in a folder (keep them there, it makes next install much quicker) - next step is to unpack them to the game folder, this starts automatically after the download and after BWS has helped you to maybe find mods it couldn't download. Following step is for BWS to actually install the mods.
    If you have any doubt, go to your game folder and look for a text file *Weidu.log*, if it's there, you can open it with any editor and see which mods are installed.
  • secretfiresecretfire Member Posts: 63
    edited November 2017
    Query.

I have BGEE and BG2EE installed. I have run them both at least once, and BGEE was purchased from the Beamdog Store.

When I get to setup of this utility, and get to the 'set the game path' part - BG2EE recognizes fine, but upon setting the path for BGEE....whenever I enter or click-select, "C:\Games\00806\" it instead tells me that it does not find Siege of Dragonspear, and then when I click continue - it shows it was checking "C:\Games\00806\Data\00766" instead, even though I never set it to this.

I tried deleting and re-downloading the tool, but nothing I do seems to work. It is absolutely obsessed with checking "C:\Games\00806\Data\00766" instead of "C:\Games\00806\", no matter how many times or how many ways I tell it to check "C:\Games\00806\". And again, to clarify, SiegeofDragonspear.exe is absolutely in the folder I point it to.

Any ideas?

I definately have the standard folder structure, I even did the 'verify' thing via the Beamdog Client. (then started it up, started a new game again, and saved, just to be safe that I was being thorough and following all the directions....just in case.)

EDIT: Resolved, I just manually entered it, hit return, watched the rejection, then removed the exess \Data\00766\ it added again, and again, and again, (and I removed it each time).... until it recognized. Must be a bug?

I spent most of last night installing the "recommended" setup, with a few additions manually added in from the mod setup options. It was...pretty dang easy to download all those mods via this, actually. Unfortunately, it didn't actually install any of the additions I selected, just the recommended setup....despite downloading/unpacking them....(none of them, as far as I can tell, so I don't think it was an install error, which there were none, from looking at the log).....

.....other then that, it seems to work fine. Spent an hour in it, have not seen any bugs in the game itself. (just the setup tool). I am actually kinda stunned at how quick and easy this was, I remember ~10 years ago, this would have been a week to a month, easy.
    Post edited by secretfire on
  • FiddlerFiddler Member Posts: 30
    Does anyone know of a mod or fixpack that can be installed with BWS to get the journal to work? Or is there a way I can fix it by doing something small by altering a .lua file?

I did a BWS install for just BG2EE two nights ago, and everything came out great. I used the defaults, and added just a couple more, and the installation was great. I love this tool! (first time user) So, last night I started the game, and all of the mods that had stuff that would show in the Dungeon was working perfectly. But, one bug still remains. Nothing is written in the Journal (just like BG1EE). I get a pop-up that I get to read really fast and that's it. If I missed it, I'm out of luck because it doesn't save to the journal. And I love going through the Journal to read over what I've done. So, I'm frustrated that it doesn't work. And I'd like to get it to work before I start another 4 month BG2EE game.

So, right now I'm still in a position where I can add another mod to BWS, and start a new game. So, I was wondering if anyone could help out? Is there any mod or fixpack in BWS (or can be added to BWS) that fixes the journal issue?

Thanks in advance!
    Fiddler said:

Does anyone know of a mod or fixpack that can be installed with BWS to get the journal to work? Or is there a way I can fix it by doing something small by altering a .lua file?

I did a BWS install for just BG2EE two nights ago, and everything came out great. I used the defaults, and added just a couple more, and the installation was great. I love this tool! (first time user) So, last night I started the game, and all of the mods that had stuff that would show in the Dungeon was working perfectly. But, one bug still remains. Nothing is written in the Journal (just like BG1EE). I get a pop-up that I get to read really fast and that's it. If I missed it, I'm out of luck because it doesn't save to the journal. And I love going through the Journal to read over what I've done. So, I'm frustrated that it doesn't work. And I'd like to get it to work before I start another 4 month BG2EE game.

So, right now I'm still in a position where I can add another mod to BWS, and start a new game. So, I was wondering if anyone could help out? Is there any mod or fixpack in BWS (or can be added to BWS) that fixes the journal issue?

Thanks in advance!

Do you have a specific GUI mod installed? There is nothing in BWS that changes journal behaviour.
    The journal has two pages *Quests" and *Journal* with tabs to toggle between the two. Are you saying that all of it is empty?
    Or is it that only entries from a specific mod are missing?
    edited November 2017
    No, the Quests are doing fine, and I did not install a GUI mod. It's just the journal. But, I think I found a fix from this post:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/60029/mod-journal-fixes-for-bgee-bg2ee-and-bgee-sod-v2-2

which is a quickfix, and all I have to do is drop the two files into my installation folder. One is UI.menu the other is M_JFlang.lua (looks made up for this fix). So, I have a new question. Does BWS when installing mods alter the UI.menu file? In other words if I copy the two files for this Journal quick fix over, is it going to corrupt my BWS install?

EDIT: Never mind, I can figure this out on my own. Thanks @PaulaMigrate for replying!
    Fiddler said:

No, the Quests are doing fine, and I did not install a GUI mod. It's just the journal. But, I think I found a fix from this post:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/60029/mod-journal-fixes-for-bgee-bg2ee-and-bgee-sod-v2-2

which is a quickfix, and all I have to do is drop the two files into my installation folder. One is UI.menu the other is M_JFlang.lua (looks made up for this fix). So, I have a new question. Does BWS when installing mods alter the UI.menu file? In other words if I copy the two files for this Journal quick fix over, is it going to corrupt my BWS install?

BWS is a tool that installs mods. It does what is inside the mods you select. It changes nothing in the game on its own. This is why I asked for any GUI mods you may have selected.
    I think that the quick-fix should work if you add them after the installation. However there is only one real way to find out. Try it and let everyone know the answer.
    edited November 2017
    Thanks to both for the replies! I will edit this post with an update tonight when I try this out to let you know if it works.

EDIT: No, not really. It doesn't give you the quest entry 'Important Events' when Imoen let's you out of your cell. It does hide the 'Object Invalid' for some quest entries where the date should be, but it doesn't show the date. I haven't gotten to a Journal Entry yet, but doesn't look good so far. Too bad.

EDIT #2: It did take. There was a fix that wasn't applied to the quick fix download, so I fixed that and it worked. Although, It took about four new game starts before it finally too. But it did, so it's working perfectly. And it didn't affect anything BWS that I had installed.
    Post edited by Fiddler on
  • VeskoVesko Member Posts: 28
    edited November 2017
    ok another one comes up. Funny how i allways chech xp to next level but i somehow didnt do it for a while and i notice xp is all messed up. So i load up previous saves and it traces back all the way to that elven book upgrades i did via thalantir and magic items conversion. And i JUST finished WK 34 and boddhi fight... Sigh...

Anyways im uploading this in hope it can be solved, more for others, its no problem replaying those parts for me. But if you guys can hack it, swell. :-) Cant kill another Silver this time! :-D

Quick save is the messed save, 14h is the last full save before i started using the book. Curiously i only used the book on main char, vic and imoen, but everyones xp is messed up. guessing the save or global effects or smtn is messed up, to much for my amateur knowledge level. Now if i had real life dispell...

PS Funnily everyones xp is about 600k, in real game they would probably be around 6 million except imoen 3 mill. so 1 zero less approx. If it means anything.

PPS Damn those elves messing with us lowly half elves and humans! >:)

EDIT: HAHAHA, i figured the damn stuff! They all had about 600k xp because their xp was reset to zero! thats why their xp was similar even though they werent so even leveld, especially imoen, few millions xp lower. So i just added 14h save xp to latest one and they were as they should be.

So, for reference sake im listing what i did so far. Im sure the culprit is one of those options listed. May be too lazy to search, but ill prob find out when i come back to it from WK, to pump up my warriors before makin iren my beetch.

Here it is:

Elven Tome Choices:
    Progress(3 steps: 1-4, 5-13, 14-16): +1 x6, +2 x?

-1 Proper Weapon Handling - +1 weapon proficiency - AHLEY Flail x3
    -5 Efficient Attack Chaining - +1/2 APR
    -6 Exploiting weak spots - critical hit base chance set to +10%
    -13 Learning to adapt - Use Any Item - JAHEIRA, IMOEN
    -14 Maintaining Focus - Immunity to all hostile mind affecting magic
    -15 Maintaining Presence - poison/disease immunity, regen 1hp/round - ASHLEY
    -16 Maintaining Momentum - Free Action permanent

Hope this helps someone. Damn cursed elven books... Thank GOD i dint have to redo all those levels and stuff...
    Post edited by Vesko on
  • abishaiabishai Member Posts: 3
    Probably, these questions have been answered, but I didn't find where. I've bought EE games from Beamdog with the plans to play them. I have experience with BG1 (maybe, 15 years ago?), but definitely want to play EET.

When I play RPGs, usually, I wait some time before patching comes to end, as usually patches introduces new features and fixes that are unavailable with existing saves.

1. Is new versions of BG expected ?
    2. If I install BWS/EET with recommended mods does is change the gameplay drastically ? Is it intended to play on Core rules ? I prefer challenge, but not pure mathematical one.
    3. Should I look for mod upgrades after initial setup and install them or freeze what I've got? Is default EET setup + recommended mods playable till the end?
    4. If Beamdog releases new patch, does it mean the new game or I can use existing saves after EET regeneration? Probably, I should wait some time for mods updates as well?

Thanks!
    abishai said:

Probably, these questions have been answered, but I didn't find where. I've bought EE games from Beamdog with the plans to play them. I have experience with BG1 (maybe, 15 years ago?), but definitely want to play EET.

When I play RPGs, usually, I wait some time before patching comes to end, as usually patches introduces new features and fixes that are unavailable with existing saves.

1. Is new versions of BG expected ?
    2. If I install BWS/EET with recommended mods does is change the gameplay drastically ? Is it intended to play on Core rules ? I prefer challenge, but not pure mathematical one.
    3. Should I look for mod upgrades after initial setup and install them or freeze what I've got? Is default EET setup + recommended mods playable till the end?
    4. If Beamdog releases new patch, does it mean the new game or I can use existing saves after EET regeneration? Probably, I should wait some time for mods updates as well?

Thanks!

I don't have a ceystal ball to forewsee who does which updates. Here's myexperience
    1. No comment
    2. I play EET on core rules with SCS installed. It is challenging but balanced for the continuous games. You don't wade in blood and gore but you can't run through a group of hobgoblins in BG1 without a scratch either. I can reommend this setting to everyone who is not after pure tactical hack&slash.
    3. Don't change your game with upgrades after the install. It messes things unless you are highly experienced with the way weidu installs work. The current version of EET and the mods supporting it is quite stable, playable until the end and has a lot to discover and to enjoy. No need to break it with updates.
    4. see 3

I don't have a ceystal ball to forewsee who does which updates. Here's myexperience
    1. No comment
    2. I play EET on core rules with SCS installed. It is challenging but balanced for the continuous games. You don't wade in blood and gore but you can't run through a group of hobgoblins in BG1 without a scratch either. I can reommend this setting to everyone who is not after pure tactical hack&slash.
    3. Don't change your game with upgrades after the install. It messes things unless you are highly experienced with the way weidu installs work. The current version of EET and the mods supporting it is quite stable, playable until the end and has a lot to discover and to enjoy. No need to break it with updates.
    4. see 3

Thank you for your reply!
    SCS is included in BWS default settings (and a lot of other stuff), so I suppose default is the way I want.
    abishai said:

1. No comment
    4. see 3

Thank you for your reply!
    SCS is included in BWS default settings (and a lot of other stuff), so I suppose default is the way I want.
    I would have a closer look at the mod selection menu in BWS because *default* or *recommended* is not so elaborate in BWS for EET yet, there were constantly new mods or revised mods added recently and the collections are rather based on past experience with BGT. The choice to me is a bit random, my own experience is that almost all of the mod offered in BWS for EET are fine - otherwise you get some warning.
  • mattastrophicmattastrophic Member Posts: 6

Try this one.
    I just started the dialogue, it went without issue, Adalon transported us out and I made the save.

Hi everyone!

I am having the exact same issue that Paula solved earlier this month. When I speak with Adalon and give her the eggs, she transforms into a new form, transforms the party to their real selves, and the cutscene hangs.

I've attached a .zip with my game save. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix the issue?

-Matt

I would have a closer look at the mod selection menu in BWS because *default* or *recommended* is not so elaborate in BWS for EET yet, there were constantly new mods or revised mods added recently and the collections are rather based on past experience with BGT. The choice to me is a bit random, my own experience is that almost all of the mod offered in BWS for EET are fine - otherwise you get some warning.

I looked recommended BWS modlist and it's very confusing (overwhelming). I'm not sure I want to change something as I don't understand how they interfere with each other. I read about mod coloring and that green should be OK, but, for example, I don't know, why some of the SCS options or green assassination mod are disabled. As you said, it's unwize to touch EET after it's build, does it mean that clean reinstall with slightly other options can't use existing saves? Or maybe some recommendation from experienced BWS players are posted in the net ?

abishai said:

I looked recommended BWS modlist and it's very confusing (overwhelming). I'm not sure I want to change something as I don't understand how they interfere with each other. I read about mod coloring and that green should be OK, but, for example, I don't know, why some of the SCS options or green assassination mod are disabled. As you said, it's unwize to touch EET after it's build, does it mean that clean reinstall with slightly other options can't use existing saves? Or maybe some recommendation from experienced BWS players are posted in the net ?

It is not limited to EET or BWS installs but savegames of different installs will always have issues with one another dur to the way the dialogue file (dialog.tlk) in any game is built. A single line of text that is different will spoil it, thus only exact copies of modded games work indentical. The only truly common part between two installs is the unmodded part of the game.

As with BWS - feel free to select mods from the overview screen as you like. As soon as you leave that screen, you get a new display with all the errors the tool has detected. Solve them on the menu, and when all are gone, you can go to the next step (or continue experimenting).

Try this one.
    I just started the dialogue, it went without issue, Adalon transported us out and I made the save.

Hi everyone!

I am having the exact same issue that Paula solved earlier this month. When I speak with Adalon and give her the eggs, she transforms into a new form, transforms the party to their real selves, and the cutscene hangs.

I've attached a .zip with my game save. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix the issue?

-Matt
    Try this
    Thanks Paula! I seem to have lost a few of my mod-given items, but I can spawn those myself.

What was the problem?

-Matt

Thanks Paula! I seem to have lost a few of my mod-given items, but I can spawn those myself.

What was the problem?

-Matt

Sorry, I made no investigation, it just works in my game, that is all. Without further information there is nothing I could look for. Yes, and there may always be some difference since my game probably contains other mods than yours.
    All I did was: load your save - talk to Adalon and give the eggs - she transports party to exit - save.
    Okay, that will do nicely! I can use EEKeeper to get my items back, and what's most important is that I can continue my game! Thanks again Paula!!

-Matt
  • sparrow13xsparrow13x Member Posts: 120
    edited November 2017
    Hey there, love this mod project so much. I'm running into some new issues with starting BWS that have never happened on previous installations.

The update seems to run properly, and the screens asking me to select my GUI language and which game to mod appear without an issue. But when BWS begins "Searching Components" I get this message before it crashes:

Line 237 (File "C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\BigWorldSetup-bigworldsetup-7a1fb8abd2cc\BiG World Setup\Big World Setup.au3"):

Local $Setups[$SectionNames[0] +1][3]
    Local $Setups[$SectionNames^ ERROR

Error: Subscript used with non-Array variable.

I've run this program several times recently and never had this issue. I've tried deleting it and re-downloading it a few times and that doesn't seem to have worked... it seems like something in the script keeps getting broken. Of possible note, here is the message i get in the CMD window if I try to run the "Update as Needed" file a second time:

fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
    Press any key to continue...

Any help solving this is greatly appreciated.
    edited November 2017

Hey there, love this mod project so much. I'm running into some new issues with starting BWS that have never happened on previous installations.

The update seems to run properly, and the screens asking me to select my GUI language and which game to mod appear without an issue. But when BWS begins "Searching Components" I get this message before it crashes:

Line 237 (File "C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\BigWorldSetup-bigworldsetup-7a1fb8abd2cc\BiG World Setup\Big World Setup.au3"):

Local $Setups[$SectionNames[0] +1][3]
    Local $Setups[$SectionNames^ ERROR

Error: Subscript used with non-Array variable.

I've run this program several times recently and never had this issue. I've tried deleting it and re-downloading it a few times and that doesn't seem to have worked... it seems like something in the script keeps getting broken. Of possible note, here is the message i get in the CMD window if I try to run the "Update as Needed" file a second time:

Press any key to continue...

Any help solving this is greatly appreciated.
    I just tested all the steps you describe above on my PC and everything works fine here, updates, mod selection, different games and different languages.

Some things:
    - As far as I know, BWS runs only under windows, no other OS.
    - Extract BWS outside of your game directories
    - In any case, it is a local problem, I can't find something wrong in my BWS
    - there hasn't been any update for BWS since four days, and even those were only updates to mods and mod version, so nothing changed in the BWS itself.
    - Here is my version of the file that is in the error message, maybe replacing it will help?
  • sparrow13xsparrow13x Member Posts: 120
    edited November 2017

I just tested all the steps you describe above on my PC and everything works fine here, updates, mod selection, different games and different languages.

Some things:
    - there hasn't been any update for BWS since four days, and even those were only updates to mods and mod version, so nothing changed in the BWS itself.
    - Here is my version of the file that is in the error message, maybe replacing it will help?

It seems it was an issue on my end, there was an issue with my registry that was even preventing system restores. I'm far from a computer whiz but I've been running through several fixes for the last couple hours and BWS seems to be working now, fingers crossed that nothing changes.

Thank you for your help!

EDIT: I actually had one more question, if I want to mod BG1 and BG2 separately do I have to run BWS twice (once for each game)? I recently ran through EET and while it was interesting, there were some things I didn't like about it. Running BWS under the BG2/EET selection does not let me disable EET when selecting mods and components.

Some things:

It seems it was an issue on my end, there was an issue with my registry that was even preventing system restores. I'm far from a computer whiz but I've been running through several fixes for the last couple hours and BWS seems to be working now, fingers crossed that nothing changes.

Thank you for your help!

EDIT: I actually had one more question, if I want to mod BG1 and BG2 separately do I have to run BWS twice (once for each game)? I recently ran through EET and while it was interesting, there were some things I didn't like about it. Running BWS under the BG2/EET selection does not let me disable EET when selecting mods and components.

You need to make two separate installs.
    One for BGEE and BWS will show you only mods applicable to that game.
    Second one for BG2EE - you select the BG2EE/EET selection but just put a *-* (without the stars) where the path to BG1 is required. This tells BWS its BG2 only.
    @PaulaMigrate Thanks. That was useful for me too. :)
    I am having a problem with DSoSC. When I had it in my installation I was asked if I wanted to extract it. This I did, but BWS than said that it wasn't there. Is that because I hadn't installed EET?

I don't think that I can yet as I have SoD installed. Am I right as far as that is concerned?

I am having a problem with DSoSC. When I had it in my installation I was asked if I wanted to extract it. This I did, but BWS than said that it wasn't there. Is that because I hadn't installed EET?

I don't think that I can yet as I have SoD installed. Am I right as far as that is concerned?

Are you installing EET or just BGEE/SoD?
    Because each of them requires a different version of that particular mod. On BGEE it's installed early while in EET the other version is installed after EET.