Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Grond0: I have to say, your XP gathering is a lot more interesting than my XP farming. Killing 40 ankhegs in a row is just not as cool.

I've seen traps reflected off of Physical Mirror as well, though thankfully it never proved fatal. Bear in mind that Hephernaan at the end of the underground river also comes pre-buffed with Physical Mirror. I've had the same problem with the cleric statues in Watcher's Keep.

I'm glad I didn't fight the Warders. I probably would have lost my Bounty Hunter, too; I didn't know any of them used Physical Mirror. There's so much I don't know about BG1, even now.

For future reference, how many points does a BG1 thief need in Detect Traps? I've left it at 50 for a long time because I wanted to max out Detect Illusions instead. My install reduces trap XP to near-zero, so tanking traps isn't that much different from disarming them.
    Pokotalolien
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    How good is the Stupefier exactly? I heard a while back that it can stun-lock things very easily, but last I checked, it only had a 10% chance of stunning the target and offered a save vs. spell to negate the effect. Was it nerfed?
    Aerakarlolien
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Welcome @Flashburn - I hope you enjoy your novel experience :).

For future reference, how many points does a BG1 thief need in Detect Traps? I've left it at 50 for a long time because I wanted to max out Detect Illusions instead. My install reduces trap XP to near-zero, so tanking traps isn't that much different from disarming them.

Depends what you're trying to do. All traps can be easily avoided or tanked if necessary so you don't need the skill. 50 will do most things. 70 is probably enough for traps you'll encounter in a fairly streamlined run. I only boosted it up to 100 this time as some traps in Durlags are hard and I don't reliably know their exact locations and effects the way I do with most BG1 traps.
    FlashburnJuliusBorisovWise_Grimwaldlolien
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305

You indeed always arrive unbuffed. This is why it's the place in BG:EE with SCS where soloing as a Wizard Slayer depends only on luck (a saving throw against Charm Person).

If you time it right you have the opportunity to start casting before the ogre magi appear - thus allowing you to guarantee getting a scroll of PfM active before any spells arrive.
    BlackravenJuliusBorisovsemiticgoddesslolien
  • Serg_BlackStriderSerg_BlackStrider Member Posts: 210

When Eltan teleports you to Candlekeep, do you still keep your buffs? I assumed that you did not, so I intentionally arrived in Candlekeep without any buffs. I ensured our survival by spending the first round casting Remove Fear to counter Horror, Invisibility 10' Radius to buy us time to set up further buffs, and an Invisibility spell on Charname to make sure the Invisibility 10' Radius was not disrupted. A Special Snare at the start of combat also helped. But I'm concerned that a Chromatic Orb, Charm Person, or Magic Missile could have doomed our attempts to hide.

You indeed always arrive unbuffed. This is why it's the place in BG:EE with SCS where soloing as a Wizard Slayer depends only on luck (a saving throw against Charm Person).
    In my current setup (BWS/BGT) my Crew even were not teleported by Eltan at all and had to travel to Candlekeep on foot. This just seems right thing to me. Obviously, it makes those Ogre Mages under SCS with pre-buffs far more challenging.
    BlackravenJuliusBorisovArctoduslolien
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    Grond0 said: semiticgod said:Then I realized that Frisky Bits was a Dragon Disciple and therefore had a breath weapon that dealt nonmagical fire damage, which also could have killed Sarevok. But it turns out that you don't even need lethal damage to kill Sarevok.

Yes. Sarevok is actually protected by a min HP item, so technically his death is a scripted one when he gets down to 1 HP, so non-lethal damage is fine. I've found that extremely annoying in the past when doing a pacifist run - I'd set it up really nicely so that Sarevok got killed by his friends, only to find that his scripted death was still credited to me as a kill to spoil my record :s.

That happened to me too on a pacific run. However on another he was killed by a trap. My solo fighter/thief had brought him near death with his fists and the trap killed him. That was the only run that I have managed without killing anyone and that was more luck than good management.
    StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisovGrond0lolien
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    @Blackraven that gnome has a pretty big gnose ;P
    BlackravenWise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisovlolien
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848

Journal of Hrothgara

I helped a dryad, rescued 'drienne's cat, found a +1 halberd and returned to Nashkel.

There I helped Bentha at Aerie's request. As a reward she identified ALL my unidentified items. That would have cost me 1000gp elsewhere. :) I bought a +1 sling for Tenya and a belt as well. After buying a few ordinary bullets and arrows, I am now down to 1gp.

I desperately need to either sell some equipment or earn some gold as she had other equipment that I would have liked to buy.
    StummvonBordwehrArctoduslolien
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    edited November 2017
    For Charm on a solo wizard slayer at the Ogre Mage ambush, isn't there a helm of charm protection in Feldepost's inn, or is that a mod addition?

Edit: googled it, definitely a mod addition. I've no idea which of my mods did that...
    StummvonBordwehrArctodussemiticgoddessWise_Grimwald