Skip to content

If you could cast just ONE spell...

Comments

• Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Well, I suppose I could have a lot of fun with Gate or Cacofiend ... :naughty: except I wouldn't have access to Protection from Evil... so no!

And I suppose Power Word: Reload is against the rules even though it would be so useful in so many situations.

If I had Heal, I would also have a sizable fraction of the world's population telling me why they, or their pets, should be first in line for healing. And I could only cast once per day...

Might as well pick Sanctuary for all the fun stuff I could then get away with! :naughty:
  • redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    edited November 2017
    Karsus' Folly. Go big or go home.

Edit: I guess I meant "Karsus' Avatar."
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137

Nimran said:

Time Stop or Haste for me. Leaning towards Time Stop.

Forgot about Time Stop! Also super duper rapy. (There's actually a book about it - "The Fermata." It's about a guy who can stop time and uses that extraordinary power to... go around molesting women. But it's rationalized as basically okay because they don't realize (most of the time) that they were molested. Yuck.)
    Timestop lasts eighteen seconds. I think at best you could successfully pants someone in that time.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    To all the people choosing variations of Heal and Resurrect, I feel I should remind you what happened to the last person who could do that in real life. I think it would still happen today to anyone with those "spells". So you might want to rethink that. Playing god never ends well.

As for what I would choose. Hmm. Something that wouldn't draw unwanted attention, for sure. I'd like to be independently wealthy, but I couldn't trust the genie with a Wish, so that's a no-go. The Wish genie will always screw you if it can find a way, and it usually does.

You know, I think I would choose to pass on having any special power at all in real life. That's the only wise choice when you look at what all of literature, television, and film has to teach us.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    edited November 2017
    Remove fear. The things we could do if we didn't have to consider our anxieties all the time. I'd cast it on the subway and hear the collective sigh of relief.

Or fireball. Always fireball.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    edited November 2017
    deltago said:

Wish

This or luck are the winning spells here.

To all the people choosing variations of Heal and Resurrect, I feel I should remind you what happened to the last person who could do that in real life. I think it would still happen today to anyone with those "spells". So you might want to rethink that. Playing god never ends well.

As for what I would choose. Hmm. Something that wouldn't draw unwanted attention, for sure. I'd like to be independently wealthy, but I couldn't trust the genie with a Wish, so that's a no-go. The Wish genie will always screw you if it can find a way, and it usually does.

You know, I think I would choose to pass on having any special power at all in real life. That's the only wise choice when you look at what all of literature, television, and film has to teach us.

@BelgarathMTH
    Not to be the party poopers but... Technically being able to cast literally any of these spells in our world where magic doesn't exist is playing good really since we are imposing our own will onto the universe and changing it.
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    A tweaked version of Summon Insect; I summon much smaller insects, but they last much longer, like a week or so. Also, I am a stealth caster, so nobody know I did it.

Oh, cutting the line, are you? AND taking the last saffron bun? Enjoy your week of crab lice.
  • ZilberZilber Member Posts: 253
    Shapechange would be a good contender. Flying to work, turning into a cat to understand mine better and many more uses for throughout the day.

Teleporation is similarely useful.

Fire shield if my bike lights run out, and to create some space in a busy train.

Are there glyphs of pain or similar? Can't remember. Anyway, something like that or polymorph other for drivers that try to murder me on my bike.
    edited November 2017
    Zilber said:

Shapechange would be a good contender. Flying to work, turning into a cat to understand mine better and many more uses for throughout the day.

Even with shapechange you will never discover a cat's ineffable effable
    Effanineffable
    Deep and inscrutable singular Name.

• dreamtravelerdreamtraveler Member Posts: 377
    edited November 2017
    pff heal and resurrection pff where is the justice in that ?
    i would go inside the parliament building barricade the doors and cast the Death Spell
    Post edited by dreamtraveler on
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    Wish sounds good, but is actually not that great (for you, not for a PC). If you pick the BG version, then there is the wisdom issue + the options are pretty combat related. Limited Wish would actually be more useful as you can wish for gold & magic item.

If we consider the PnP version then it is also not that reliable (DM is allowed to subvert your wish) and it ages you by 5 years.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    From a purely BG perspective:

Invisibility

I once soloed a dart throwing mage (I can't remember why) who invisibled his way through the entirety of Cloakwood (including bandit ambushes).
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Hm, maybe Disintegrate. That would stop the religious and political door-knockers away. And the neighbor who keeps pinching my firewood.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Dimension Door. In particular, the NPC version that seems to have unlimited range and can take anyone/anything with you. Either that or invisibility, of course.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Meteor Swarm.

Knee before the new Emperor of Earth.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Raduziel said:

Meteor Swarm.

Probably not with just one use per day. For becoming emperor, Scry would probably be the best spell...
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @Balrog99

The rest of the mankind doesn't need to know that I can cast just one per day >)
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Raduziel said:

Meteor Swarm.

Ya, but you cast it once, people revolt at killing their loved ones and you have very little else to defend yourself with for the next 24 hours while you're hunted down.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Neutralise poison. (fast casting, cures poison, drunkeness, diseases, blindness/deafness, and heals 10 hp which is more than enough for all normal people.) I would LOVE to have it.
  • InKalInKal Member Posts: 196
    1. stoneskin

2. immunity: abjuration

3. mass invisibility (very underestimated spell)

4. protection from energy

1. draw upon holy might
    2. mirror image (ibratha)
    3. RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Then again, with my politically-obsessed relatives hosting Thanksgiving dinner, maybe Silence.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    tbone1 said:

Then again, with my politically-obsessed relatives hosting Thanksgiving dinner, maybe Silence.

Deafness might be easier. Just smile, nod, and hope that you remembered to take Staff of the Magi as your chosen item so you can dispel yourself.
    edited November 2017
    Can you cast sleep on yourself? Then screw timestop and all that nonsense.
  • Sam_Sam_ Member Posts: 172
    Contact Other Plane

because who wouldn't want to gain knowledge of the secrets of the universe