Skip to content

All you wanted to know about the next Beamdog's project

Comments

• Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    Visual Novels aren't games, they're interactive books. How is this even a discussion?
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    You might as well claim computer games aren't games, just interactive movies.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    Dev6 said:

Visual Novels aren't games, they're interactive books. How is this even a discussion?

because the are visual novels like ace attonery, danganronpa and zeero escape that have adventure elements.

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited November 2017

Dev6 said:

because the are visual novels like ace attonery, danganronpa and zeero escape that have adventure elements.

And there exists Fighting Fantasy GAMEbooks.

Even if you look at dictionary definitions of a "game" it doesn't help much:
    1. a form of competitive activity or sport played according to rules.
    -This would rule out Baldur's Gate and any single player "game", since they are not competitive.
    2. an activity that one engages in for amusement:
    -This definition includes absolutely everything that isn't work, including reading and watching TV.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    scriver said:

You might as well claim computer games aren't games, just interactive movies.

You can do more than pause a computer game. Not so much movies ;)
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    That's why they're interactive movies.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Waiting with baited breath...
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited November 2017

Dev6 said:

No, but really, adventure elements doesn't fail to change that they're still books, not games.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited November 2017

Dev6 said:

No, but really, adventure elements doesn't fail to change that they're still books, not games.
    Ah, the dictionary can help us here:
    Book: a written or printed work consisting of pages glued or sewn together along one side and bound in covers.
    So, Ace Attorney, definitely not a book.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    edited November 2017
    ace attorney: counted as a point and click adventure game the only thing it has in common with most vns is art style and text boxes

danganronpa; can fully explore the area map has investigation scenes like ace attorney.

zero escape; more in common with other vns but has escape the room puzzles.
    edited November 2017
    chimaera said:

Just like long dialogues don't turn a game into an interactive novel. PST has all the features of a cRPG: stat-based character development and corresponding stat-based checks, NPC interactions, exploration and side quests, equipment and loot, and - as bad as it is - a combat system that utilizes NPC abiltis and spells. It even has a functioning alignment system (as opposed to the "morality police and bribery" system implemented in BG).

Yup. Really, PST was more like a heavy roleplay based D&D campaign, whereas BG1 & 2 were like more combat-based D&D campaigns.
    Fardragon said:

Yeah... I mean, if we're being technical. But there's such a thing as being "too technical".

Visual novels are books presented as a game, despite the fact that they're not really games except by the loosest definition. You could just easily take the story and basic art direction of most visual novels and present them as graphic novels and sell them as physical books. Weird, right?!

Sidenote: Are e-books not "books" then? Because if you say, "No, a pdf version of a book (aka an 'e-book') isn't an actual book", then you're just being silly and pedantic at that point. What about "audio books"? Point is, do you see how silly it is in a world like ours, where technology is to the point it is now, to say a book is only a physical book with pages?

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,317
    edited November 2017
    Fardragon said:

Ah, the dictionary can help us here:

Book: a written or printed work consisting of pages glued or sewn together along one side and bound in covers.

This surprised me, so I looked at several dictionary definitions. I did see the one you quoted (in the Oxford Dictionary), but others have moved on. Given I live in Cambridge I'm pleased that the Cambridge Dictionary is a bit more up to date and takes the following as its number 1 meaning: "a written text that can be published in printed or electronic form".
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Dev6 said:

I'm playing Littlewitch Romanesque right now. It's classified as visual novel, but it has quite more strategy than most of RTS games.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    You guys're all such teases! GIMME! NOW!

Please, pretty please.
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    my response would have been "you just did :P"

chimaera said:

Just like long dialogues don't turn a game into an interactive novel. PST has all the features of a cRPG: stat-based character development and corresponding stat-based checks, NPC interactions, exploration and side quests, equipment and loot, and - as bad as it is - a combat system that utilizes NPC abiltis and spells. It even has a functioning alignment system (as opposed to the "morality police and bribery" system implemented in BG).

Yup. Really, PST was more like a heavy roleplay based D&D campaign, whereas BG1 & 2 were like more combat-based D&D campaigns.
    Fardragon said:

Yeah... I mean, if we're being technical. But there's such a thing as being "too technical".

Visual novels are books presented as a game, despite the fact that they're not really games except by the loosest definition. You could just easily take the story and basic art direction of most visual novels and present them as graphic novels and sell them as physical books. Weird, right?!

Sidenote: Are e-books not "books" then? Because if you say, "No, a pdf version of a book (aka an 'e-book') isn't an actual book", then you're just being silly and pedantic at that point. What about "audio books"? Point is, do you see how silly it is in a world like ours, where technology is to the point it is now, to say a book is only a physical book with pages?

You are confusing the idea of a book, which is a physical object made of paper, with the idea of a novel. And no, an ebook is not a book, that's why it has an e in front, so there is a different word for a different thing.
    Fardragon said:

You are confusing the idea of a book, which is a physical object made of paper, with the idea of a novel. And no, an ebook is not a book, that's why it has an e in front, so there is a different word for a different thing.

No, no, I'm not confusing anything. Definitions update with the times. A book doesn't have to be physical anymore. Shocking!

Don't be silly and pedantic. ;)

Fardragon said:

No, no, I'm not confusing anything. Definitions update with the times. A book doesn't have to be physical anymore. Shocking!

Don't be silly and pedantic. ;)

I'm not being pedantic, I am being precise. If you want to buy your dad a novel for Christmas, you need to know if he would prefer it printed on paper (a book), in a digital format (an ebook) or in a format he can listen too (an audio-book). Different names for different types of media.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Aaaargh you are teasing us!
    Fardragon said:

I'm not being pedantic, I am being precise.

• RVNSRVNS Member Posts: 285
    @subtledoctor I second this.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited November 2017
    The things people start discussing about when they're starved of information, sheezzz. We need a tip of the curtain lifted soon, very soon!
    Would be kinda nice if we got a hint of what they were working on, the setting it's in at least. "Customaria, our new custom setting!"
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Battlechess EE!
  • EnilwynEnilwyn Member Posts: 140
    mlnevese said:

Like I can trust the word of a trash panda...

• ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Enilwyn said:

mlnevese said:

Like I can trust the word of a trash panda...

''Thats how we do things in the Raccooniverse!''