Skip to content

All you wanted to know about the next Beamdog's project

Comments

• kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Well, I really hope the gameinformer article is an elaborate hoax, because after all this waiting and anticipation I for one will be extremely disappointed if this is yet another EE. At this point I feel that just pushing out more EEs causes more harm than good to Beamdog's standing and credibility as a game developer.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    edited November 2017
    theres a trailer on beamdog's youtube. this is real.

edit: and to be fair this and ivvd2 are the only ones they have left.

some vvould say nvvn 2 needs oone but i dont think even beamdog can fix that camera. and besides unlike the first game it actually does not have issues running on modern computers.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    edited November 2017
    Am I reading it right? NWN:EE!!!!! *faints*

Edit: While I would want new content as well, there are simply some related classics that would be a crime if not enhanced, like NWN...it overheats my laptop far more than the newer games. And NWN on ipad is just wow!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AndrasteAndraste Member Posts: 78
    Meh. The NWN OC is my least favourite BioWare game ever, and I have no interest in multiplayer.

I guess I might buy it on sale so I can play the expansions again? Those were pretty fun, and I do love Deekin.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    All I remember from NWN is building rectangular hills in the creation kit thingy and downloading reams of mods from the Vault.

Well, that and getting friendzoned by the ladies at the brothel. That's about as far as I ever got in the original campaign.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    I hope a new campaign is going to be included for the EE release. That'd be something, eh?
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    I will buy it for sure. There is so much free content available you can get lost for hours playing the modules people have made! Just feel bad for BD not being able to lock this down until tomorrow for their countdown though for a big reveal. Seems like all the game sites are reporting on it, even linking to an unlisted Youtube video on Beamdog's official channel.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Too bad Beamdog couldn't keep the press embargo going... Less than 8 hours into the countdown and done...
  • LAZERDOGLAZERDOG Member Posts: 27
    I've played through NWN twice and once through its addons during the last two years but I seriously cannot imagine an enhanced edition without actually at least an engine switch.

In contrast to the IE games the graphics have aged horribly (as have almost all fist generation polygon 3D games) - from the horrible textures to the rectangular environments - it's really hard to look at. Add the horrible pathfinding and ai, bland and unatmospheric ui design and you get a game that's nice from a historical standpoint - but just cannot hold up with real classics.

And that is why I'm personally really surprised that we're seeing an enhanced edition - especially one with comparably little changes.

I'd much rather like to see an EE of NWN2 - the camera was utterly broken but the rest of the game really had some well working elements...

Nevertheless I'm more looking forward to Beamdog's first original game. I know you guys can do it and I'm really looking forward to seeing what you're working on ;)

I never got far into the campaigns, although I've heard the expansions are good. I'd rather play with a party, so another player or two would really help.

All three campaigns are way more fun with a party. I would definitely be up to join you. I wonder which gimmick build I should use...
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    kanisatha said:

Well, I really hope the gameinformer article is an elaborate hoax, because after all this waiting and anticipation I for one will be extremely disappointed if this is yet another EE. At this point I feel that just pushing out more EEs causes more harm than good to Beamdog's standing and credibility as a game developer.

The beauty with NWN is that they can offer a NEW campaign with the release... written by Gaider... and do not need to jump through any political hoops to get 'er done.

but I agree. NWN has not aged well, and from the trailer shown, I am not that impressed with the updated graphics which an EE of this game basically needs.

That said, some of my favourite made characters have come from that game. I use to have notebooks of characters to create and try, so I donno. I am on the fence about this at the moment.

The online component and the fan made content was the best thing about this game. If that doesn't comeback then it might not do well.
    edited November 2017
    deltago said:

The online component and the fan made content was the best thing about this game. If that doesn't comeback then it might not do well.

Trent confirmed on Facebook that the Gamespy master server WILL be replaced! And that they've been working with NWN community members for about a year on NWN:EE. It's in the comments under the link that Trent shared.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/nwncp/permalink/1878714545476076/

That said,

Post edited by Flashburn on
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    Okay, I'm excited for this now. I don't really care for the combat in the game, but I imagine it'll be so much better with multiplayer. I never got to play NWN until long after the servers were mostly dead.
    edited November 2017
    What's with the NWN multiplayer and its hype? Never got to try it before since we had a crappy internet then (only a little less crappy now). I only played through the OC, its expansions, and other custom modules. What makes it good? That's a genuine question. Do they offer a lot of content? What,* does this mean also that we could play online with iPad?

Edit: Wait* hehe
    Post edited by Illustair on
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,235
    edited November 2017
    Sorry to say, but this is probably the EE I am least excited for. While I do have the diamond edition sitting on the shelf since it came out (it *is* Forgotten Realms, yo) I never got into the solo play, and multiplayer is something you need like-minded friends for I (used to) reckon.

I *might* still pick it up eventually... (it *is* Forgotten Realms, yo...)
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    Illustair said:

What's with the NWN multiplayer and its hype? Never got to try it before since we had a crappy internet then (only a little less crappy now). I only played through the OC, its expansions, and other custom modules. What makes it good? That's a genuine question. Do they offer a lot of content? What, does this mean also that we could play online with iPad?

Well, I never got to play much multiplayer, and I understand that is where it shines. So that's the reason I'm excited. There is a ton of custom content available, and theoretically the community will grow now.

Sjerrie said:

I *might* still pick it up eventually... (it *is* Forgotten Realms, yo...)

People have made content for other settings too, so you'll have more than just the Forgotten Realms outside of the official stuff.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    We need more links
    I can see why others might like the online stuff, and I might too if I'd give it a try. But the classes remain the same? How does the pause-system work though if it is online? Hmm which makes me wonder, we also have multiplayer in BG, right? If I pause my game, others' will also? The singleplayer custom modules I have tried, and I thoroughly enjoyed lots of them!
    Illustair said:

I can see why others might like the online stuff, and I might too if I'd give it a try. But the classes remain the same? How does the pause-system work though if it is online? Hmm which makes me wonder, we also have multiplayer in BG, right? If I pause my game, others' will also? The singleplayer custom modules I have tried, and I thoroughly enjoyed lots of them!

You can visit the NWN wiki to see what the classes are all about.

Servers have a setting that can allow players to pause, though its usually turned off. Not being able to pause isn't such a big deal since you're only controlling 1 character. Once you've played online for a while, you'll get used to it.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    looks like all the usual suspects are on the " beamdog ruin everything." train. even tho this vvas the game that needed an ee the most.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Looking forward to this! Put me on the chalkboard for people wanting to play this with a group as well.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    This is the most excited I've been for a game since the original bg1+2ee came out
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    edited November 2017
    Flashburn said:

deltago said:

Trent confirmed on Facebook that the Gamespy master server WILL be replaced! And that they've been working with NWN community members for about a year on NWN:EE. It's in the comments under the link that Trent shared.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/nwncp/permalink/1878714545476076/

That said,

Meh. I was hoping for a brand new game. Whatever the case, It Will bè lucky if It manages to even sell 500,000 copies, given that crpgs have Always been the ignored underdog of videogames and D&D never had a huge appeal.
    Post edited by ShapiroKeatsDarkMage on
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

D&D never had a huge appeal.

Uh, you might want to clarify/qualify that statement.