Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 996

Has anyone done a no-reload run of the original, 1998 Baldur's Gate? I was thinking I might try a vanilla trilogy run with a Fighter/Illusionist.

I have on occasion done a no-reload of the original 1998 Baldur's Gate 1. The walking speed is painfully slow though, so don't do it often.
    Wise_Grimwaldlolien
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    I loved the original version. One thing that I loved about it was that it was before the devs stopped you doing certain things because they didn't want you to. Killing Tazok at the bandit camp for instance. This would be before ToSC of course. That would shorten the game considerably.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Wise_Grimwald: How would you kill Tazok at the bandit camp, and what would change if you succeeded?
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 996
    @Wise_Grimwald sounds like you are on SCS - as you are finding out, they don't call it a difficulty increasing mod for nothing!
    Wise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisov
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    But killing tazok could make prefect sense from a game perspective. As a result he should just be absent in the final battle. It is not as if you meet him anywhere other than the bandit camp or end fight.
    Same with Angelo for instance.
    StummvonBordwehrWise_Grimwald
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848

@Wise_Grimwald: How would you kill Tazok at the bandit camp, and what would change if you succeeded?

Further to my previous answer, there are actually a multitude of ways to kill Tazok, so trying to stop them all is a waste of time. It is quite reasonable that upon being attacked by Tazok that the party flee the tile.
    When they return Tazok is back where he started in the camp.

The party can then set about laying traps at their leisure, by their thief plus skull traps and glyphs of warding. A member of the party can then lure Tazok into the traps after first weakening him with arrows.

As Tazok approaches the traps, web, cloudkill, fireballs, potions of explosions, oil of fiery burning, necklace of missiles can all be launched at him and the party can then flee if he is still alive and try again. If he is dead, end of story. @Iroumen also makes a very valid point in the previous post, but whether he dies or is resurrected is a decision for the writers. Either would be better than the current situation.
    Pokota
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Arctodus: You didn't have 2000 gold to bribe Lonk?
    Wise_Grimwald
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    I did. I just muffed the dialogue options.
    OrlonKronsteenWise_Grimwaldlolien
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    Quick question Grimwald... don't you get teleported to the bottom and have to fight your way up? I wasn't planning on tackling it for now because of that.
    Wise_Grimwald
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173

Arctodus said:

I'm trembling as I write this... I forgot to prebuff before fighting Lonk the Sane, so I went into the Irenicus fight without any prebuffs... And we're talking about the SCS full prebuff type of fight... That was just so freaking tense, but I somehow managed to survived !! :#:#:#

No-reloading the BG saga is not good for your heart...

So long as you didn't damage your heart, this would have strengthened it. :)
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger... or is that even true for no-reloads? Maybe something like "We never lose, we win or we learn" would be a better motto!
    ArctodusOrlonKronsteenlolien