Skip to content

What are your favorite builds?

For myself, I have two high level builds I enjoy using in HoTU.

*The Master of Dragon Style* Druid x/Monk 1. A high level druid that pumps wisdom as high as possible will get access to Dragon familiars and Dragon shapeshifts. A level of monk gives combat bonuses to Dragon form. Simple, easy, and overwhelmingly powerful once you reach that point. Not to mention massively fun to play.

*Death's Dirge* Bard/Pale Master. You don't really appreciate what the Pale Master brings to the table until you start pumping more than 10 levels in the class. Your summons continue to increase in strength, eventually going to Lich and even Demi-Lich. I like using Bard rather than Sorcerer or Wizard for this class because you can still be an effective bard with gimped casting, pumping your already powerful summons up even more and making full use of your bardic skill set to increase your AC and use any magic items you come across. Not an OP build, but unique and fun with lots of combat options.

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Very simple for me. Cleric or Druid X/Fighter 1 until Cleric or Druid 20, then Fighter from there to Cleric or Druid 20/Fighter 20.

None of the prestige classes in either NWN1 or NWN2 ever caught my fancy much. I thought of them as needlessly complicated, and feat-wasters.

In NWN2, I tried an Arcane Scholar of Candlekeep and an Eldritch Knight, and both of them seemed kind of "meh" to me. I thought I could pretty much do anything they could do using a combination of two base classes.

In NWN1, nothing seems better to me than Cleric/Fighter or Druid/Fighter.

Every once in a blue moon I try a Bard, with some Red Dragon Disciple levels thrown in at high levels.

Cleric/Fighter still does that better, imo.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Elven Bard/RDD/AA

Build it right, you have devastating critical with the long bow by level 24. Nothing more satisfying than seeing an enemy drop by a single arrow 100 paces away.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    I enjoyed taking a weapon master build through SoU and HotU. I still have the saves, so I'll probably go on to Sands of Fate in EE.

I don't remember many specifics right now, although I regret to admit I went for the katana rather than something cool like a scythe.
  • michaumichau Member Posts: 11
    Cleric/Monk, Cleric/Monk/Paladin or Rogue, Cleric/Bard (it work!) and maybe Bard/RDD/CoT. Yup. I like powerbuilds. :sunglasses:
  • KenjiKenji Member Posts: 251
    Rogue X / Fighter 4 / Weapon Master 7, Assassin looks cool but I prefer not going solo in either multiplayer or campaigns.
  • JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 395
    I'd love to see some builds for the pregenerated characters to expand on this. I've always imagined Aluvian Darkstar as an arcane archer, for instance, but I haven't developed any powergaming builds for any of them.
  • StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    Bard/dd/pm

Honestly, once you get to the higher levels and you start dual weilding rapiers it just seems to make sense.
    You are cleaving around with wings (which don’t seem to work atm) and a necrotic arm and everything just seems work
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited November 2017
    I'm glad someone else appreciates the bard/Pale Master. You get either fighter-level combat capability or level 7-9 spells through your greater undead, not to mention access to epic spells, and steadily increasing defense. What's not to like?

One of the loading screen messages in-game says "a monk/Pale Master is a potent adversary" yet I've never seen any worthy build using these two.
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    I'm currently trying with a Sorcerer X/ Paladin 1 build. Simply because there are lots of offensive spellcasting options (a maximized fireball or ice storm is nice), and super high saves with Divine Grace and Eagle's Splendor combined with the Sorcerer's already high Charisma. I think I'll probably go to a neutral alignment later and continue progressing with Pale Master after Sorcerer level 20 (or perhaps 26).

[By the way, is it right that a sorcerer doesn't gain additional number of spells per day after level 20, except through ability score increases? :confused: I don't wish to divert the topic, but I really need to know if this is true.]

None of the prestige classes in either NWN1 or NWN2 ever caught my fancy much. I thought of them as needlessly complicated, and feat-wasters.

Something about that special moment when you take up a prestige class after you have suffered so much feat deficiency for levels. I guess such variety mentality is the same when it comes to all those special kits in BG, when the original base classes are just as good.
  • ManveruManveru Member Posts: 75
    My favorites are pure Wizard and Druid/Shifter/Monk
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    Only PRC classes...
  • IndyWendieGoIndyWendieGo Member Posts: 62
    Slightly off topic, but maybe we can eventually have a site like the Greyhawk builder site again. It'd be nice to see all the details of all these builds. :(
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    My favorite has to be Sorcerer 5/Rdd 10 , after that I'll just start increasing my sorcerer levels for SoU + HotU
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I'm playing a dwarf monk/fighter/weapon master... a weapon master who can use flurry of blows is definitely fun :)
  • ProontProont Member Posts: 141
    edited November 2017
    My Favorites are Fighter/Weaponmaster, Rogue/Fighter/Shadowdancer, Druid/Monk/Shifter, Monk/Fighter/Rogue, and various Sorcerer builds (Mostly pure Sorcerer with a couple levels in various classes).

Oh, I accidentally left out Bard/Red Dragon Disciple/Palemaster. Great tank.
    Post edited by Proont on
  • birdman076birdman076 Member Posts: 29
    Fighter/WM/DD or Fighter/WM/Rogue
  • ReibornReiborn Member Posts: 156
    by far in NWN the most played class I've had fun with was 1 Paladin \ 39 Sorcerer. you get such huge amounts of saving throw points it is insane.

Another fun build is 1 sorcerer \ 19 fighter then on level 21 you get dev crit and insta kill most stuff with 1 hit.

But in some campaigns I tried various other build,
    1. The pure Wizard, you learn lots of spells and get free feats.
    2. 1 shadowdancer + assassin\rogue one of the most fun classes which allows you to abuse HiPS with awesome stun and double sneak attacks. not that good vs undead you'll need to use traps against those. but with high enough stealth you can spam traps and let them commit suicide.
    3. Paladin\Cleric - I like this one as you can get free feats and extra saving throws then mix the proper cleric domains for some crazy stats and become pretty much immortal.
    4. fighter\blackguard\weaponmaster > tried this guy on SOU\HOTU run back at the day and it was insane how effective this guy was.

In general the only builds which I've avoided are shapshifting ones, there is an issue when you get extra spell slots on your spell book from items you wear but once you shapeshift you need to re-memorize all your spellbook spells.
    Reiborn said:

2. 1 shadowdancer + assassin\rogue one of the most fun classes which allows you to abuse HiPS with awesome stun and double sneak attacks. not that good vs undead you'll need to use traps against those. but with high enough stealth you can spam traps and let them commit suicide.

Ah yes, the infamous lvl1 HiPS (so broken and OP that in some PW they nerfed it), use it to take out any unsuspecting spellcasters in pvp and you'll do your party a huge favor. However, it gets countered by those pesky fighters with high fortitude saving throw.

Since a rogue's strength is usually relatively low (save for some pure str pvp half-orc rogues), you can easily get knocked down; it's almost a death sentence at that point.
    edited November 2017
    I once used a Monk/Rogue 1/Weaponmaster 7 (staff) and in the first chapter of HoTU obtained a staff that could cast (IIRC) meteor swarm. Between that and the high Use Magic Device achieved by skill point saving and dumping on that one rogue level I had quite the arsenal of magic scrolls and artifacts in addition to the monk resistances and high fighting ability.
    Post edited by WarChiefZeke on
  • JimbobslimbobJimbobslimbob Member Posts: 206
    Always been fond of Rogue types and archers. I have a few builds I tend to cycle round and play, including R/F/SD (strength based Rogue), B/AA/SD (Sneaky Arcane Archer) and Cl/Ba/RDD (Melee powerhouse with Cleric goodies).
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    Human Cleric with minimal Rogue and Monk levels up to Level 20 ~ Then Cleric 23 Rogue 9 Monk 8 or something close.
  • NeverwinterWightsNeverwinterWights Member Posts: 339
    Fighter/monk/rogue or monk/rogue/shadowdancer are my favs.
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    mlnevese said:

I'm playing a dwarf monk/fighter/weapon master... a weapon master who can use flurry of blows is definitely fun :)

I use that one too but not as a dwarf. It's quite good because the epic weapon master increases the attack bonus and you have 10 attacks. I use tiny CEP katars so I walk up as a petite adventuress to a giant demon and it's like an anime.

demons: your fists are like mosquito bites
    bunbun: ..... omae wa mou shindeiru...
  • jwwjww Member Posts: 34
    Favorite is probably a dual-wield melee cleric with a double-sided weapon (so darkfire and greater magic weapon apply to both sides with a single cast), with 4 levels of fighter before level 20 to reach the maximum number of attacks, and Plant and Earth domains for barkskin, stoneskin, and energy buffer. (Though it's a bit annoying to start dex at 15 for Ambidexterity in a build that's going to wear heavy armor.)

Honorable mentions: straight sorcerer (sometimes with 1 level of paladin later on for saving throw bonuses), high str fighter/weaponmaster, offensive caster druid, and even offensive caster cleric with careful domain selection.

Least favorite: High dex, low (12) strength Fighter/Thief building toward weapon master, dual-wielding small weapons with Weapon Finesse. Some of the bosses in chapter 1 of the OC were extremely difficult, and by chapter 2, I was running into (a few) enemies I couldn't damage with a +1 weapon (sometimes even with a crit) because I wasn't doing enough damage to overcome their damage reduction. Crits (and weapon master) multiply your damage done, but if you hardly do any damage per hit, then there's not much to multiply.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    My absolute favourite build is Bard 26/Fighter 4/RDD 10. There are also the variations of Bard 26/Paladin 4/RDD 10 (super cheesy) and Bard 26/Blackguard 4/RDD 10 (feat-starved). For powergaming, Cleric 28/Bard 2/RDD 10 is probably the best build in the game.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I was never very good at NVN1 and never tried PnP, but I played around with different HotU level 40 builds just for fun and anything with WM7 and RDD10 became ridiculously OP. Personally I liked the high frequency of scimitar builds for WM rather than going scythe, but I know there's a big camp of followers advocating the scythe. For me, any damage that is overkill (HP much less than the damage you inflict) seem like waste and I'd rather take the higher frequency since it also proc's the insta-kill by crit more often at epic levels.

Playing NVN2 now. I know this thread is about NVN1 only, but having fun with a 50/50 bard/rogue build and figured I might try that out next time I play NVN as well. I seem to recall reading bard is better in NVN2 than in NVN1 though (can wear armor?). Back in the day when I played NVN1 I was always something fighter-oriented, like dwarf fighter/barbarian etc. I think monk/cleric was the furthest I went when it came with "creative" builds :P Using the cleric to buff the monk was pretty effective, I seem to recall.

NWN2 does expand the options a bit. I made a halfling Swashbuckler/Duelist/Sorc 1/RDD who was devastating in melee using a robe and short sword, making use of high INT and STR scores for good melee damage.

And a Nercomancer Red Wizard who could one-shot most characters with nigh-irresistable death spells.
    A bard/blackguard is especially deadly. The synergy with charisma, the synergy with enchantment spells and sneak attacks, the fighter BAB. A single level of Shadowdancer to that would be almost (basically is) cheating.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    I remember a cleric/dwarven defender who was awesome. It took a bit to qualify for the dawrven defender as a straight cleric, IIRC, but once I did, the cleric buffs addedd to the general dwarven defender badassery made him a family favorite.