Skip to content

You can use pictures as your avatars only if you have the artist's permission

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
According the Rule 2 of the Forum Guidelines, if you possess verifiable consent of the owner of copyrighted content, you may post the allowed content (within the limits of the content rules).

Which means that you may use copyrighted content, including pictures, only if you possess consent of the owner of it.

Recently, we've received the Copyright Infringement DMCA Takedown Notice towards the forum avatar of one of this forum's users.

An artist said the image in question was taken from their website and used without permission. We removed it immediately.

Usually, users are free to use pics as avatars unless the artists say otherwise.

So, folks, make sure the image you use as an avatar here can be used that way. Pay attention also to pictures you use for your characters in-game and then post on this forum for other forum members - you can do that only if you credit the artist and that artist is not against such use.
BlackravenAedanAstroBryGuy[Deleted User]ButtercheeselolienRik_KirtaniyaAtrophiedericmlnevesePokota

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @JuliusBorisov - Is game art from D&D CRPGs ok to use (e.g., like my blue mage from IWD2)?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

@JuliusBorisov - Is game art from D&D CRPGs ok to use (e.g., like my blue mage from IWD2)?

As there's no risk of artists to prohibit that, it's fine!
    AstroBryGuyRik_KirtaniyaTorgrimmer
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    JuliusBorisovAstroBryGuy
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    Nimran said:

When in doubt, just make your own avatar!

Like I did. ;)
    JuliusBorisovAtrophiedericProontlolien
  • MordekaieMordekaie Member Posts: 269
    I really have to choose a picture for my profil, so everybody will be able to put a face on my name. :smiley:

I just discovered thit artist whose name is Dave Rapoza and i would like to use one his creation as my profil picture ? Can i do it ?
    You can, unless the artist says otherwise. Better to check by sending a question: https://daverapoza.carbonmade.com/contact
    lolien
  • Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
    I would like to use an NWN portrait as my avatar like I did in the old BioWare forums back in the day. Would someone be kind enough to respond here, or PM me with a step-by-step tutorial on how to do this? I tried to find it in the "Portraits" folder of my game installation, but the folder was empty. Thank you for reading, and happy gaming to all.
    You can freely use such portraits (which come from these games), @Prince_Raymond . For the portraits themselves, try https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/169-portrait-and-soundset-unlocker-2das-souhotu
    [Deleted User]Prince_RaymondTorgrimmerlolien
    edited September 2018
    @JuliusBorisov It seems I need to reinstall my original retail copy of NWN and both expansions in order for it to work. I tried extracting both 2da's to the override folder in my user directory of NWN:EE, but when I restarted my game nothing happened. Should I try placing them in the ovr folder of my install directory? Will there be a conflict?
  • SymphonySymphony Member, Developer Posts: 142

@JuliusBorisov It seems I need to reinstall my original retail copy of NWN and both expansions in order for it to work. I tried extracting both 2da's to the override folder in my user directory of NWN:EE, but when I restarted my game nothing happened. Should I try placing them in the ovr folder of my install directory? Will there be a conflict?

Raymond,

The portrait unlocker Julius linked to would not be of help, it is designed to allow the use of NPC portraits in gameplay, not gameplay portraits in your game directory. The portraits folder, additionally, is there to add more portraits to your gameplay, not take portraits from your game.

I didn't use the Bioware forums much, but if memory serves, the NWN portraits in use were from a predetermined set selectable in the site, and it did not contain all of the NWN portraits. I also think you could not use your own uploaded portrait on their website.

The stock game portraits are condensed into game data files, and don't exist as separated images in your installation. What you want is to extract the game data from your .bif files (which are kind of like hak files containing the core game assets) for the portraits.

Beamdog has not changed most of the .bif data for EE, and someone has already extracted the .bif files from 1.69 for you and made them available on the Neverwinter Vault. You will want to download the bioware_tga.7z file from https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/nwn1-standard-assets. Once you extract the assets from the .7z, the portraits are listed under "po_...", as all of the .tga files used by the game are in the download.

They are .tga Targa Bitmaps, so you may want to convert them for forum use to something like .png using a image processor like Adobe Photoshop or GIMP. I'm not sure which formats this forum supports.

If you can't thumbnail the TGA's after you downloaded them, you may find a name for the portrait you want by browsing these thumbnails I posted on Google Drive.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-yXVCjkegF5b1h5aUNTdmlJbDA
    Don't download one of these portraits to use, however, since I added empty space to the sides of them to keep them fully visible. Only use them to find the name of the file you want, and find that (alphabetically) in the .tga folder you downloaded.
    TarotRedhandJuliusBorisovPrince_Raymondlolien
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited September 2018
    @Symphony is correct when they say-
    the NWN portraits in use were from a predetermined set selectable in the site, and it did not contain all of the NWN portraits. I also think you could not use your own uploaded portrait on their website.

I was on there until we were "encouraged" to move to the first of two EA/Bioware boards. Anyone interested in how the old nwn.bioware site looked should look here. That is the view from the 28th of August 2005 (about a year before I joined those forums) via the wayback machine.

TR
    JuliusBorisovPrince_Raymond
    @JuliusBorisov @Symphony @TarotRedhand Thank you all for assisting me in changing my avatar pic. Now I truly feel that I have an identity within this forum.
    JuliusBorisovSymphonymlneveselolien
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited March 2020
    Sorry posted in wrong thread.

TR
  • Allanon81Allanon81 Member Posts: 327
    I changed my profile picture to an old d&d drawing by Larry Elmore. I searched using google and it was under free to use. So does that count here? I’ll change it if I’m violating rules.
    @Allanon81 It never hurts to try reaching out to Mr. Elmore and ask his permission.
  • Allanon81Allanon81 Member Posts: 327
    edited June 2021
    @Prince_Raymond I’ll just change it cuz I can’t find a way to contact other than Facebook or Twitter both of which I abhor.