Skip to content

Breathing some new life into PW's

Comments

• WhitegraveWhitegrave Member Posts: 37
    For any old fans of Dark Hour (zombie survival), I will be remaking it from scratch.
  • CablefishCablefish Member Posts: 37
    edited November 2017
    I'm gonna see if i can get freescape (a fantasy sandbox inspired by Isandor) up and running again.

Edit: Please PM me if you wanna help. Especially if you got any kind of coding skills to offer :)
  • FiastraFiastra Member Posts: 33
    Can't wait for pvp servers/pw. I have never been into campaigns and mods, but nwn is THE game if you love pvp/multiplayer :)
  • IndyWendieGoIndyWendieGo Member Posts: 62
    If there are any local vault RP PvPers out there, I'm in contact with a few others with the community that've reached out and we're currently working on things for NWN:EE as well! If you're looking for old players from Field of Dream, Siflige, all the way down to Immryr and Aniron, throw a message! We'd love to see your faces again!
  • WristWrist Member Posts: 1

Hi there! highv priest here. The sole owner and operator of DeX and BadLands, which at this time appear to be the only PvP servers still operational in this largely role playing populated game.

I look forward to what is being offered here. Maybe this will finally be the thing that will convince my players to give CEP a shot in the form of a new game.

I also have some requests I'd like fulfilled as they are core components of my current BadLands server and it would be a devastating blow to have them disabled due to memory address changes.

Hi higv_priest
    I remember DeX as my favourite server back in the days (2003-2004). Will you bring it back to life i NWN EE?
  • Barry_1066Barry_1066 Member Posts: 77
    edited November 2017
    Realms of Annakolia is once again accessible - down for a bit due to computer HW failure, we have it once again active - this 2004 and onward massive (2000+ areas) world is RP centered but easily played as action as well.

Developed by CEP team members it is rich with custom content and unique scripting that provide a cutting edge D&D (under NWN) experience. Not a Faerun world, but a world based on campaign material from many years (1970s actually at D&D release) of campaigns and games.

This means that Realms of Annakolia predate Faerun existance and is unique in its own right blending original material with inspiration of many favorite authors including Tolken, Abrems, Liber, Lovecraft, Wells, and many others.

The world requires custom content - the official CEP 2.4 and Annakolia haks
    http://www.annakolia.org/

The RoA web page needs updating but you can get all the downloads except the CEP from there -

I do understand that someone has done unofficial CEP updates - do NOT use those on Annakolia - the last official CEP is ONLY supported. When I can, the proper version will be on my website but that may take a few days. CEP official 2.4 release here:
    https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/combined/cep-23-cep-24

Players are needed to beta test the new NWN EE - so far it is amazing and running Realms of Annakolia just fine. The graphics are a leap better - some crashing issues have seemingly vanished - I cannot say enough good about EE. I would like to know if NWN EE is using multi core processors - i have not seen anything on that in my readings.

Hope to see some activity soon then
    Thank you
    Barry_1066
    Post edited by Barry_1066 on
  • BalanorBalanor Member Posts: 176

I do understand that someone has done unofficial CEP updates - do NOT use those on Annakolia - the last official CEP is ONLY supported. When I can, the proper version will be on my website but that may take a few days. CEP official 2.4 release here:
    https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/combined/cep-23-cep-24

This seems confusing/misleading. CEP 2.62 by TAD has been considered the latest official CEP by....well...everyone for the last 3+ years, right? I mean, if you go to https://neverwintervault.org/cep and there it is. Am I missing something?
    edited November 2017
    Sorry Balanor - but the CEP never expanded past 2.4 - anything done on CEP after that was without permission and there are credits in the material required by the creators that have been removed in the unauthorized updates - so - because something is not worked on for any length of time does not transfer ownership to anyone - and I understand that required credits have been removed.

No one approached any CEP Team member about this and our material is copyrighted - and others used by permission and credited (in one case a team member credited someone else for some of MY work - but I don't think I fixed that oversight) In any case - the ONLY official CEP is 2.4 which is done by the OFFICIAL CEP Team of which I am the leader -- there is 420, Throbblefoot, Malishara, Flamecrow and there were some assistants.

I am certain Beamdog did not just pickup NWN and start development without permissions, probably contracts and money - since it is copyright protected - so 2.4 is the ONLY legal and legitimate release of the CEP.

Hope that clears it up for you.
  • thirdmousethirdmouse Member Posts: 67
    2.62 is backwards compatible with 2.4 (actually anything 2.1+), so players need have no worries about a large, redundant download just because a server uses an older version.
    I cannot find the quote at the moment but - update included removal of credits and phenotypes - but the bottom line is there is copyright violation. Should we ignore the illegal appropriation of materials and no longer properly credited? With the removal of the phenos, it is NOT backward comparable. Use of additional 2da areas could also break my world since i use custom content NOT in the CEP.

Again, I repeat - Barry_1066, Malishara, 420, Throbblefoot, and flamecrow - and at the time some consulting and additions by TheExcimer-500 - ARE the CEP Team, no one else.

TheExcimer-500 brought me on the CEP team when he wished to step out many years ago but he remained for occasional input and consulting - he had been the CEP Team Leader prior to myself. I did NOT appropriate the position nor actually seek it and it was a pain toward the last release (CEP 2.4) being attacked by Project Q, Community Tileset members and a few others as Project Q wanted to smash the CEP and replace it. I endured death threats and had to start leagal action to stop the conspiratorial attacks.

I have paid my dues for the CEP and am NOT about to relinquish it to anyone.
    Thirdmouse - listen to what you are saying - if someone came along and decided a beloved book, lets say, The Hobbit by Tolkien - decided that they had story material to add to it and did so, publishing that book under their name - AND - that book was loved by a large portion of the Tolkien fan community - then it is OK.

It is not ok - it violates copyrights and the copyright owners would be upset and take legal action against person and have all such books recalled/removed. This is not up for a vote or community preference it is a copyright violation matter pure and simple - a legal issue not a community preference or any other concern matters.

Ownership - credit - control, these are legal issues and all development past 2.4 of the CEP is illegal if not done by my CEP Team.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    Guess it's a good thing free uploaded content to IGN Vault that CEP bundled all together was not from a book because CEP would not have been able to exist in the first place.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I don't know the details of the legalities visavi nwn but in my experience it is praxis that any mod content created for a game belongs to the owner of the game, not the creator. Which presumably in this case would be Wotc-Hasbro or possibly Bioware/EA. So while I'm am mostly with you on the moral aspect of it all I am not certain there is really an argument here, legally speaking.
    edited December 2017
    Scriver - models created for the game are Bioware and not copywrite protected by the owner due to using bioware engine and animations - artwork and scripts are not open for grabs however - that includes skins for models, doors, clothing, and just about anything skins and artwork goes on or in. Also - the CEP asked and gain permission for use and maintaining authors copyright. I will add that these definitions and issues were at the center of much messiness several years ago that I made mention to earlier. The facts include Bioware involvement at the time so i can assure you this is not just my opinion on the subject but a worked out and legal standing that was all brought forward at that time.

There were materials refused to the CEP - those materials are NOT in CEP - well not up to 2.4 at any rate. Such refused materials included anything from project Q - the Community Door Project - and the Community Tileset project.

Included WITH PERMISSION - CRP, CCP, and a host of community material. The CRP was disbanding and wanted their material preserved and they approached me - similar with the CCP.

Just because something was uploaded for free does not mean it is not under copy protection. Free to download does not free to use in other projects - you must have permission to do so.

I, Malishara, 420, The Examiner-500, and a few others have original material, both artwork and scripts that NEVER appeared anywhere other than in CEP - This material has claimed copyright and cannot be used by anyone else.
  • rammurrammur Member Posts: 11
    Im stoked hoping to see some pw reemerge some of the best roleplay outside of current mmos was all on this game back in the day absolutly love the idea.
  • MadHatterMadHatter Member Posts: 145
    edited December 2017
    deleted
  • AndarianAndarian Member Posts: 185
    edited December 2017

2.62 is backwards compatible with 2.4 (actually anything 2.1+), so players need have no worries about a large, redundant download just because a server uses an older version.

No, it is not. I just released a re-make of my modules a few weeks ago that upgraded them to 2.6.2 (they had been designed to work with 2.4). Part of the reason I did that was because the "update" BROKE content in them, and I got complaints from players using it.
    Post edited by Andarian on
    edited December 2017

CEP never expanded past 2.4 - anything done on CEP after that was without permission and there are credits in the material required by the creators that have been removed in the unauthorized updates - so - because something is not worked on for any length of time does not transfer ownership to anyone - and I understand that required credits have been removed.

No one approached any CEP Team member about this and our material is copyrighted - and others used by permission and credited... In any case - the ONLY official CEP is 2.4 which is done by the OFFICIAL CEP Team of which I am the leader -- there is 420, Throbblefoot, Malishara, Flamecrow and there were some assistants.

Thank you, Barry, for bringing this to our attention. I did not know anything about it until just now, and I find it both shocking and disturbing. I'm especially upset that this was apparently done without the NWN community's knowledge. Like others in it, I had simply assumed that the post-2.4 updates were legitimate and authorized by the CEP team. I would not have updated my modules for compatibility with the "2.6.2 update" when I released the remake of them only a few weeks ago, had I known this.
    edited December 2017

Hey, Barry. You're of course more than welcome to continue using 2.4, and no one is going to force your players to update. Backwards compatibility with 2.1+ is one of its features, so it doesn't really hurt anyone.

As I've already observed, this is not true. It's also not relevant to the point Barry is raising. What is relevant is the claim by one project group that another has taken and released unauthorized updates to its copyrighted content, and under their original project's name.

One cannot dismiss this simply by invoking concern over a "versioning split" in the community. Assuming the accuracy of Barry's statements, there's at least an argument to be made that that's something the individuals who released the (allegedly) unauthorized versions should have thought about before doing so.

That said, though, I also have to raise a concern about the timing of Barry's challenge. CEP 2.6 was released over three years ago. This was at a time when the "original" CEP team had long been MIA from the NWN community, and the rest of us were struggling to recover from the holocaust surrounding the implosion of the IGN Vault. As far as I can tell they never even came to the new Vault to reclaim their work, nor to help triage the content that had been saved from it. That others may have taken up maintenance of the project given those circumstances is perhaps not surprising.
    I hope you can work something out with TAD so that it can continue moving forward in anyone's hands, instead of trying to push a rollback on every server or module that has already embraced the updates.
    I hope such an accommodation can be worked out too. It's certainly desirable to avoid such a "split and rollback" if possible. I've always found TAD to be a decent and reasonable individual, and that makes me more sanguine about this than I might be otherwise. I am considering such a rollback for my modules, which I just updated from 2.4 to 2.6.2 a few weeks ago, but I'll hold my decision pending that discussion and effort.
    The NWN community that stuck around has weathered a lot of obstacles and preserved a great deal of information and content for everyone. The CCC has produced new content every month for seven years, and a lot of it has even made it into those later versions of CEP... so that even when its original team had gone, all those servers that looked to it for a one-size-fits-all bundle could still get updates.
    I'm not sure I see how the desire for a "one-size-fits-all bundle" trumps respect for the work (much less copyrighted work) done by a community team. Couldn't any such "updates" to CEP be released as an add-on hak system designed to be installed on top of CEP 2.4 -- and not as an update to CEP itself?
    Post edited by Andarian on
  • ZoltanTheRedZoltanTheRed Member Posts: 11
    Can we cull the drama over difficult to corroborate legal claims so that the thread can return to its original purpose?
    Or create a separate thread to address them, sure, if Barry or others want to do that.
    edited December 2017
    I never posted to be contentious - but when confronted with what is a sore point - something that is a violation - i corrected the person, with reason and respect. I have made it clear that the CEP team exists - the members - and it is up to us to decide if the CEP is developed or not - no one else.

I have given the legal standing as well as shown that CEP had never granted permission to anyone outside our team -- on the vault these rogue versions are stated to be done by the CEP Team, they are NOT.

The issues are simple.

This is not Drama as ZoltanTheRed stated and "difficult to corroborate legal claims" statement is ill informed and actually trollish as it attacks the very heart of the issue with an opinion pulled from what? Certainly you are not a copyright lawyer are you? I had, as a teacher and professor, many classes in copyright law and as I said previously, Bioware weighed in on this matter back when the CEP was under attack. Unique and original materials are protected by copyright. I could use a door model made by anyone but not their skins - but I COULD make my own door skins and those doors are copyrighted - for example.

Please know - I do not make a frivolous claim - Copyright violation is very very serious and I will persue the matter.

again:

Ownership - credit - control, these are legal issues and all development past 2.4 of the CEP is illegal if not done by my CEP Team.
  • highv_priesthighv_priest Member Posts: 50
    Wrist said:

Hi there! highv priest here. The sole owner and operator of DeX and BadLands, which at this time appear to be the only PvP servers still operational in this largely role playing populated game.

I look forward to what is being offered here. Maybe this will finally be the thing that will convince my players to give CEP a shot in the form of a new game.

I also have some requests I'd like fulfilled as they are core components of my current BadLands server and it would be a devastating blow to have them disabled due to memory address changes.

Hi higv_priest
    I remember DeX as my favourite server back in the days (2003-2004). Will you bring it back to life i NWN EE?
    I will have both DeX and BadLands active on both versions until it's time to either fallback on 1.69 or progress in NWN:EE.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    I found it on the vault for anyone looking for it still for their own.

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/gameworld/dungeon-eternal-x
  • DM_DjinnDM_Djinn Member Posts: 112
    Founded in late 2015, the Knights of Noromath are proud to be breathing life into NWN in the new era provided by Beamdog! Following the EE announcement in November '17, we discontinued our 1.69 server on 11/25/17. We are all-in with EE.

We are committed to running daily DM'd events and weekly development updates so we can keep pace with the wonderful updates Beamdog is providing.

I have just added some remarks to the post announcing our server on these forums; we asked our current members what sets KoN apart- you can read their responses, here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/67800/knights-of-noromath-ee-campaign-roleplay-server#latest