Skip to content

BG2 crashes on map transition

ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
I'm in chapter 2 and I cant leave the bridge district. I can enter/leave buildings, but when I go to the map and select a new map the game crashes and the beamdog client gives me this issue:
The Beamdog Client encountered an error trying to run Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition (Retail). Please contact Beamdog support and mention exit code: 3221225477

I run a few mods, but I've never had this issue before. I've had random crahses, but thus is happening consistently.

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    It looks like the game is crashing when it tries to load the Neera cutscene when leaving the bridge district. I've heard she can be buggy, but I haven't encountered this before.
    Its definitely the Neera cutscene. I can load a save from before I met her and transition maps with no problems. Unfortunately my last save before meeting her was about 20hrs ago.
    I had to use C:SetGlobal("OHN_NEERA_RENC","Global",12) to de-spawn Neera in her encounter. I can continue now, but I probably broke her quest doing so.
    Does anyone have any insight into what causes this? I would like to avoid the problem in the future.
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited July 2017
    Do you have the Djinni mod installed?
    Did you try C:MoveToArea("oh6010")?
    @PaulaMigrate I do not. And while I CAN warp to maps, I would like to be able to see the cutscene and actually progress Neera's questline.
    ThacoBell said:

@PaulaMigrate I do not. And while I CAN warp to maps, I would like to be able to see the cutscene and actually progress Neera's questline.

OK if you can move to that map without crash you may want to try this sequence:
    - C:MoveToArea("oh6010")
    - Move your party to around where the barrels stand in front of the house
    - C:SetGlobal("OHN_NEERA_RENC","GLOBAL",1)

See if anything crashes this time. If not, Neera should appear, talk to you and give you the further hints to persue her quest, all globals should be fine to continue.
    If it should still crash, maybe one of the effects in her teleporting in animation has a problem and we could disable them and see if it works afterwards - look for ohcut02.bcs.
    @PaulaMigrate I'm thinking its the teleport. The area loads in and crashes when she tries to port in.
    Narrowing the issue down this way. Proposal:
    Put the attacched file into your gamefolder/override
    Repeat the above, i.e.
    - C:MoveToArea("oh6010")
    - Move your party to around where the barrels stand in front of the house
    - C:SetGlobal("OHN_NEERA_RENC","GLOBAL",1)
    ThacoBell
    @PaulaMigrate Okay, Neera spawned and the cutscene ran as normal, but not it crashes when I leave her encounter.
    ThacoBell said:

@PaulaMigrate Okay, Neera spawned and the cutscene ran as normal, but not it crashes when I leave her encounter.

This is what I was afraid of. There is another encounter interferring with this one. It's not a bug with Neera, it's bad coincidence. Is Jaheira with you - it could be the poisoned man encounter or something?

I propose that you do the Neera scene and wait until she left the area, so that the Neera stuff is secured.
    Afterwards do not leave the area via map but with
    C:MoveToArea("ar0020")
    Hope this is a way out. Wish I could help you with a savegame but all my installs are EET, it probably won't work if you have BG2EE.
    @PaulaMigrate That's strange. Jaheria is in my party, but the poison man quest happened a long time ago. I don't know what encounter could be spawning. Thanks for the help though, I really appreciate it.
    ThacoBell said:

@PaulaMigrate That's strange. Jaheria is in my party, but the poison man quest happened a long time ago. I don't know what encounter could be spawning. Thanks for the help though, I really appreciate it.

It was just a guess. Unless you find further evidence, it can be many things, I have no clue.
    Were you able to leave the encounter area without further issues?

ThacoBell said:

It was just a guess. Unless you find further evidence, it can be many things, I have no clue.
    Were you able to leave the encounter area without further issues?
    I'll have to test it later, but I'll let you know.
    @PaulaMigrate That worked. After I warped out and then traveled, it sent me back to the Neera encounter map, but I was then able to leave normally. Looks like it's all working correctly now. Thanks bunches!
    Sigh, it looks like Rassad's ambush encounter also causes a crash. Only the EE encounters are causing it, as all the vanilla ambushes trigger without any problems.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    Hi @ThacoBell
    Can you check your colour depth as per https://beamdog.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/206729933-Windows-My-Game-Won-t-Launch-Or-Is-Crashing-On-Launch

& if it doesn't help could you zip + attach a save before leaving the area. If you can't save, use this console command to force an autosave
    C:Eval('SaveGame(0)')
    Thanks
    JuliusBorisov
    @Gate70 It's not a problem launching the game, its that specifically, Rassad and Neera's ambush encounters crash the game.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    Understood, but as the issue is in new content areas it could be something like colour depth
    JuliusBorisov
    edited July 2017
    Gate70 said:

Understood, but as the issue is in new content areas it could be something like colour depth

Unlikely, moving to the area via console was possible, see first case reported in the early posts. The stripped down version of ohncut02.bcs that I provided for testing worked as well. Seems to point to an issue with the effects and visuals which I removed from the cutscene. Just my analysis, I can't prove it since I can't reproduce the crash on my install.
    Since the difference between the cutscene that crashes and the one that works is the removal of
    CreateVisualEffect("SPPORTAL",[464.422])
    CreateVisualEffect("SPFLESHS",[407.376])
    it may just be the right thing to look for the issue there (include also the effects used in OHRcut25 for Rasaad).

A weidu.log listing the mods installed would be helpful to see if any of them might have affected those visuals.
    ThacoBell
    Gate70 said:

Okay, I see what you are saying. My color depth is set at 32-bit. All my drivers are fully updated. The area loads, but crashes before the cutscene happens. I had to console teleport into and back out to progress (doing so broke the cutscene and quests).
    edited December 2017
    Guess what has reared its ugly head again? Same issue and I cannot advance Rasaad's quest. I also cannot advance in my game, as the Rasaad ambush triggers when I leave the current map, regardless of my destination.

@Gate70 I cannot seem to upload my savefile. Not sure why.
    What is the are code to the Tears of Selune encounter map?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    ThacoBell said:

What is the are code to the Tears of Selune encounter map?

OH4010
    ThacoBell
    Thanks!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    If this happens in the 2.5 beta, please, zip your save and attach to the report on support.baldursgate.com , thank you!
    elminster
  • xgamer1980manxxgamer1980manx Member Posts: 1
    Hey yes now this old but I just got BGEE for the PS4. I had the same thing but only place I could travel was to the Docks it loaded her cut seen an all is fine. So ya this for all PS4 players hope it helps
    rodney
  • rodneyrodney Member Posts: 3
    Hey yes now this old but I just got BGEE for the PS4. I had the same thing but only place I could travel was to the Docks it loaded her cut seen an all is fine. So ya this for all PS4 players hope it helps

same thing happening to me on ps4. your method, alas, doesn’t work, - after the first encounter with Neera i cannot leave the ‘bridge’ area without the game crashing, no matter where i chose to fast travel. the crashes are quite annoying although i can kinda circumvent the encounter by tiptoeing around the trigger, still, would prefer everything to work ok considering there is a feature encounter with Rassad that, as i understand, also causes crashes and is unavoidable.
    ThacoBell
    Yup Rasaad also has a crash during his "ambush" (map transition) encounter. Its really disappointing that Beamdog never fixed this. It makes Neera and Rasaad unplayable AND requires console command shenanigans to just get past if you want to ever be able to enter/exit the bridge district.

@JuliusBorisov @Gate70 Its been two years, when will the team fix this? Its literally game breaking.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    We have bug reports about this logged into the internal tracker. Let's hope the 2.6 patch on PC will contain a fix for it.

A few workarounds for the console are described at https://www.reddit.com/r/baldursgate/comments/ebe318/bg2_bridge_district_crashing/