Skip to content

[MOD] -Might and Guile- a tweak mod and kit pack for warriors and rogues.

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @subtledoctor How's a certain multiclass kit coming along?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    ThacoBell
    edited December 2017
    I dunno, that's a strangely hard one to try and name. Polymath possibly, its the ultimate "bard" class upgrade in Kingdoms of Amalur. Truebard maybe? To reference that it emulates the first bard class? *EDIT* What about "Fili"? According to Wikipedia, it was a high rank bard in Ireland until the Renaissance.

Mary Sue?
    ThacoBell
    I love the idea of Bards casting in Leather armor. In fact, I always use that component from Tome and Blood.
    rapsam2003
    ThacoBell
  • GawainBSGawainBS Member Posts: 523
    Seconded, Bards casting in Leather Armour (would this include Studded too?) sounds great!
    rapsam2003
    I'm all for including Studded Leather.
    rapsam2003
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    ThacoBellWise_Grimwald
    Nice! I'm going to test the latest versions of your awesome mods when 2.5 for IWD hits.

BTW, I'm not sure if I already mentioned it, but YARAS + SoA/ToB = Jan Janssen incurs a DEX penalty and he no longer meets the requirements for his signature gear.
    DjinnThacoBell_Luke_
    I feel like rage should protect against mental afflictions, but not much else.
    ArizaelStummvonBordwehr
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714

3) Rage inhibits your higher intellectual abilities. I would have it set your INT to 5 or so.

Illithids.

_Luke_
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535

Another idea, maybe to finally, really fix Berserker Rage:

4) There could be consequences for trying to use Rage outside combat. Figure that, in combat, it focuses you and you can retain control and go after your enemies - it won't turn your circle yellow (even though that's how it should really work).

To be honest, I like the idea of the yellow circle, i.e., something à la Minsc.....
    StummvonBordwehr
    ThacoBellDjinn
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    edited December 2017
    I actually like it the way it is now. However you will never be able to please everybody.
    ThacoBell
  • ArizaelArizael Member Posts: 263

1) Rage can only be used in combat. You will be unable to enter an enraged state until a full round of combat has passed.

This would be slightly complicated to implement but I think I have the tools. There is no "combat-only" flag, but there is a "non-combat flag." Basically I would set Berserkers to have a spell cast every round that inhibits Rage... but that Spell would have the "non-combat" flag. When you enter combat, within 6 seconds, it would fail to fire, and now Rage would be available for use.

I disagree. If there is evil behind those doors, I see no reason why you should not be able to charge in righteous anger right after you kick out those door. The berserkers should know techniques how to induce rage into themselves when needed.

2) Rage would not work immediately. Once Rage can be used, one round after combat starts, it would take another round to actually see the benefits of it.

That does makes sense.

Rage is supposed to increase your power, but limit your tactical abilities. Adding a slight delay means you couldn't, like, watch that Confusion projectile coming at you and snap on your rage like a light bulb. You would have to make a broader, simpler decision: am I going to Rage in this fight or not? And enemies would have a very narrow window to affect you before you fully hulk out.

3) Rage inhibits your higher intellectual abilities. I would have it set your INT to 5 or so.

Penalty to AC? Like 4-6? Massive ranged thac0 penalty while ranging ?

4) There could be consequences for trying to use Rage outside combat. Figure that, in combat, it focuses you and you can retain control and go after your enemies - it won't turn your circle yellow (even though that's how it should really work). But if you become enraged when there is no enemy nearby to bear the brunt of your rage, you might lose control and end up hurting someone you don't mean to. (I would make this mimic Confusion, rather than the full-on yellow-circle berserk state.)

Thoughts?

The original yellow circle was flawed. Even character like Minsc would know that if there is evil mage and 6 skeletons, he should keep his focus on the evil mage and not randomly jump between the skeletons or worse party members. Aye some limit in control would be great, but thats not implementable in engine where party members can mid-combat pass each other scrolls, potions, wands or two handed swords instantly.

How would it work ? Post combat confusion is just night annoying, while bringing little to the game.

What about if the character did not perform meele attack for 2 rounds he would immediately exit enraged status and get winded ? This would limit the ability to disengage after getting wounded, but not sure if it could be implemented.
    Wise_Grimwald
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    The potion of rage in IR is a nice simple mix of bonuses and penalties.
    A quick query. My Psypher retains his psychic abilities after dualing to mage. Is this intended, or just an engine limitation? Thanks.
    Mantis37
    Nah, just me trying to no-reload nobly :). One more question then if you don't mind, will using those powers bring the cowled inquisition down for a chat?
    Mantis37Wise_Grimwald
    ThacoBell
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    If rage is supposed to involve some "effort" working yourself up to a rage, wouldn't it make sort of sense to have it include an uninterruptible casting time to, y'know, do that?

And pre-buffing with rage, incidentally, entirely suits "psyching oneself up before a big fight". Makes perfect sense to me.
    rapsam2003ThacoBell
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137

Pantalion said:

Makes perfect sense to me.

I mean, you can rationalize anything. The point is not "how do I rationalize this?" but rather "how do I make this less terrible?

Vanilla berserk rage is terrible. It's like playing Super Mario with a permanent invincibility mushroom. Sure, you can still die, but a substantial number of the obstacles you're meant to overcome simply disappear. I don't want to play that way. And similarly, I have never once been inclined to play Baldur's Gate with a Berserker.

So the question is, how to turn the Berserke into something I want to play instead of something I want to avoid?
    Oh, to be clear I meant "starting berserk out of combat", the actual ability is ridiculous.

Honestly I'd sooner skip the whole thing, throw in an APR and damage bonus, an accuracy and AC penalty, a 1+Level/5 bonus to saves against all mind altering type effects and forget the long, stupid, list of immunities altogether.

Anyways, was randomly thinking on the psionics thing, and just wondered if it would be feasible to have the more spammable abilities actually deal damage to you, while simultaneously giving you X HP/round regeneration to recover it? You might be able to get outside healing to keep spamming abilities, but it would largely avoid the whole Schroedinger's CHARNAME issue where they can neither heal nor recover?
    ThacoBell
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    PantalionThacoBell