Skip to content

Aielund Saga Enhanced Edition

Savant1974Savant1974 Member Posts: 303
edited December 2017 in NWN:EE Modules
Hi everyone, I've been working hard to revise the old series and I'm getting close to completing the revision. I fixed a lot of bugs and made a lot of improvements, then started playing through to get a sense of what else could be revised ("Oh a broken script, better fix that. This convo could use a few more alignment options." etc). I'm playing through with an evil halfling bard, and looking for places to subtly apply more evil :)

Here's some screenshots of my progress. These are in EE but I haven't used any 3rd party filters, I've been too busy to get into all that (advice welcome!) Never underestimate the improvement that can be had with a high-res skybox! You might recognise the moon picture from a skybox mod in nwvault, but the day, sunrise and sunset were made by me. More to come as I progress :)

Rik_KirtaniyaKenjishadguyronaldomichauPhenomenSylvus_MoonbowJarrakulBelgarathMTHManveruAerakarmegamike15LiluraProlericbritishjVibseGusindaDoubledimasJimbobslimbobseronxNicoenFlashburnMirandelbleusteelFinneousPJaarionnCvijetaAndariantbone1StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisovShapiroKeatsDarkMageSilyDaevelonNotsagTelperosNotabarbiegirlzordren3742AxieanastielIseweinSar_Yehudahleeux

Comments

• myshaqmyshaq Member Posts: 18
    Great news! I'm looking forward to replaying this campaign.

I've got one question though, did you consider making NWN modules based on your second saga?
    Savant1974
  • Savant1974Savant1974 Member Posts: 303
    edited December 2017
    @myshaq Yes I'm definitely considering making mods based on the Ballard Chronicles, which itself was based on the story I was planning to make the mods from initially :) We'll see how things go for me early next year, and the sorts of updates that get rolled out for nwn:ee.

The sorts of updates I'm looking for are:
    * High-res skybox capability (my new ones are good, but still a bit chunky up close)
    * New and/or improved head models.
    * Overland map function (maps are cool)
    * Size-adjustable player models.
    * Sub-race support (I'd like to put in my Aielund-specific custom races if possible).

I'll want to be putting in black-powder firearms too, but there's a mod for that on nwvault that could serve as a template. :)
    michauAndarianLiluraNotabarbiegirl
  • DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
    awesome, dude! look forward to playing it again. good luck!
    Savant1974Daevelon
  • DwayneDwayne Member Posts: 102
    Looking forward to playing this again. Thanks for all the work you are putting into it.
    Savant1974
  • KenjiKenji Member Posts: 251
    Huzzah for evil alignment interaction!
    Savant1974
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    For testing purposes, export something you've updated into .erf and copy that .erf over to the 1.69 /erf folder, then import it into a test 1.69 Aielund Act module. Save the module in the toolset and try to play that module with 1.69 NWN and see if your change gets added without producing an error.
    I had my hopes up for a moment there, but the 1.69 toolset won't even let a conversation file from EE be imported. Looks like all exports are marked with the version they were made with.
    Sylvus_Moonbow
  • ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    edited December 2017
    You can edit/extract files from erf with tlkedit and nwn2 packer. I sure there others programs too. There a workaround too with copy and pasting from temp folder to temp folder ;) it was a pain in the butt but it worked. Make sure you backup stuff.
    Savant1974
    edited December 2017
    Yeah I didn't even realise this was going to be an issue, and I do have backups, but I started working in the EE toolset pretty early on. It's too late now, I've made so many changes it'll take a lot of effort to make it backwards compatible and I just don't have the time right now.
    Andarian
  • AncarionAncarion Member Posts: 155
    There are a couple of ways to change the version number flagged on a module. The quickest is to open the mod file with a text editor like notepad, search for "1.74" and change it to "1.69" (minus the quotes of course). Back it up first just in case, of course, but it should work without any issues, as long as you haven't used any 1.74 specific features.
    Savant1974Sylvus_Moonbow
    Okay I gave the notepad trick a try, found 1.74 and changed it to 1.69 then saved it. The toolset has been loading it for the past five minutes now (with no progress bar). I don't think it's going to work. Yep, it just choked and died. :(
  • AncarionAncarion Member Posts: 155
    That's odd. I just tested it myself, and didn't have any problems opening an EE-flagged module in Diamond after doing the text-editor trick... Myabe you have some EE exclusive content in the module?
    Well, the file is pretty massive for poor old notepad, is that what you used? I was thinking I should get a better text editor and try that out. And no, I've really only expanded upon current conversations and fixed errors in scripts, areas etc. I haven't used anything EE exclusive.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    Make sure that new winter tileset is in your 1.69 /hak directory. Could be why it crashed?
    All haks are present, that's not the problem. It simply won't stop loading.
  • DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
    just want to throw in a little more support saying it's super awesome that you're doing this because Aielund is one of the best of the best as far as I'm concerned so thanks!!!
    Savant1974AerakarBelgarathMTHNotabarbiegirl
  • YehoyakinYehoyakin Member Posts: 15
    I 've never played the aielund saga even when I've read so much about it, but those picks alone made me reinstall the game to try it out, everything very good :smile:
    Savant1974Daevelon
  • SaintPhillipSaintPhillip Member Posts: 59
    Ive never played this but it looks phenomenal.

This will probably the adventure I run next once I start a new toon...

Its things like this that make this game-
    Savant1974
  • ThorssonThorsson Member Posts: 190
    Have a very happy chrimbo; you deserve it!
    Savant1974
  • HunterRayder93HunterRayder93 Member Posts: 266
    if I ever take NWN: EE and the module will not be difficult to download I will try to play it (hoping to be multi-language)
    Savant1974
  • YehoyakinYehoyakin Member Posts: 15
    Could you please share the skyboxes to use them as override, I find them much better than anything that's currently on the vault.
    Savant1974Andarian
    Yehoyakin said:

Could you please share the skyboxes to use them as override, I find them much better than anything that's currently on the vault.

I'll probably get around to that after I release the new version of the saga, as my January is going to be very busy indeed.
    AndarianNotabarbiegirl
  • MadHatterMadHatter Member Posts: 145
    Those skyboxes look really great @Savant1974. Top notch work as always.
    Savant1974
  • KrovosKrovos Member Posts: 20
    These look amazing can’t wait to play
    Savant1974