Skip to content

Pillars of Eternity (NO SPOILERS)

Comments

• vorticanvortican Member Posts: 206
    Backers
    $1,801,651
    pledged of $1,100,000 goal
    days to go

$1.8 mil achieved! Next stop... $2 MEEEEEEEEEEEELLION DOLLARS.
    Backers
    $1,896,432
    pledged of $1,100,000 goal
    days to go

$2 Mil and player house! Let's get there, people.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I've been reading their updates, and I really like a lot of the concepts they've described so far.

I'm glad I was able to get in at the $20 tier. If my finances pick up I might "up" that to the boxed edition, but for now I'm glad to know that I'll be able to play the game when it comes out.
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    I'm pretty happy with how this is turning out. Great updates. Can't wait for their next announcement.
  • roboticsunroboticsun Member Posts: 42
    I definitely will keep an eye on this game, but I really do not want to "preorder" the game when there is not a single screenshot of the actual game presented and yes, somehow I do not really trust Obsidian.
    RedGuardOpale
  • KhamillKhamill Member Posts: 226
    Take it on faith @roboticsun:) We'll probably wont see any screenshots for a long time. Not untill backing is finished I think.
    With any luck, we won't see screenshots until the game is ready to be screenshot. Nothing ruins the mood like a bunch of angry fans complaining about button placement. :P
    mlneveseRythgar
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited September 2012
    I received in my facebook a link to this article. An independent project called "Project Eternity" is trying to make a game without sponsors or publishers, i don't know much about the project or how longit exist or how far it reached already, so if anyone know anything more about this issue i would be grateful for more information.

If the forum moderator's or Team BG want to take down this thread i will understand, but this forum is the best place at my view to ask information of a project that's trying to make a new RPG based in Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment and fallout (as they say in the video).

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Aosaw said:

With any luck, we won't see screenshots until the game is ready to be screenshot. Nothing ruins the mood like a bunch of angry fans complaining about button placement. :P

Sounds familiar... I wonder where I have seen that before... :)
    Calling all @Tanthalas!

I'm really excited to see what new announcement they post today.
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    Sometimes i love the quickness of @Tanthalas. seems hes got "haste" all the time.;)
    Yeah, I know! He's like a level 20 Truenamer.

...What?
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    Project Eternity hits all of the buzzwords for me. As soon as we hear Planescape, BG, pausable-realtime, party-based, hand-drawn backgrounds, it all kicks off. It's been too long. Looks like we're getting a renaissance of the BG style RPG...it's been far too long in coming :)

My only slight question mark is that the plot is about souls. Planescape is about souls. BG is about souls. NWN2 Mask of the Betrayer is about souls. Are there any other topics that might be explored as potential story avenues?!? Obviously the whole game wont be about souls, but someone's got a bit of a fascination clearly.
    I'm hoping that's just a jumping-off point.

My guess is that your character will be one of these rare "unfractured" souls, which makes you special right away, but we don't know enough about how these souls operate to know if it's going to be something that opposing forces will try to steal, manipulate, destroy, or what-have-you.

And it's a lot better than "destiny" #KingdomsofAmalur
    It sounds to me like souls are more of a mechanic than anything else, although according to one of the last updates, it does factor into the religious aspects of the world as well. It may not be an overriding theme.
    @HeroicSpur the plot can follow IWD and be about nothing... XD!
  • AurenRavidelAurenRavidel Member Posts: 139
    There's an exclusive interview over at psotter with Feargus Urquhart, the CEO of Obsidian. It gives some extra info regarding the game.

Part 1
    Part 2

For those not familiar with Kickstarter, there's actually some other upcoming rpgs that have received funding. I'm extremely excited to see how Shadowrun and Wasteland 2 turn out.

Who knows? Maybe this is the start of something great. Gamers don't need to eat what the publishers put on the menu. We can have some say in bringing back genres we love.
    elminster
    edited September 2012
    You know what else is great about these crowd-funded projects?

The end product is usually less expensive because you're not splitting revenue with the publisher. Which means not only do the fans get what they want, but they get it at a price that's reasonable.
  • AurenRavidelAurenRavidel Member Posts: 139
    Agreed. There's a lot of potential here. I hope gamers recognize, though, that just because they've put up some money doesn't mean they get to take ownership of the game. The $20 I've pledged to Project Serenity is for Chris Avellone and the rest of the talented people at Obsidian to make the rpg they want, within the guidelines they've presented. It doesn't mean I can whine about the races they design, or some other form of nitpicking.

Gamers can seem self-entitled at times and I'm just worried that Kickstarter might put fuel on this particular fire. I hope not, though.
    vorticantrinit
    My slightly more optimistic hope is that it will have the opposite effect. Gamers get "uppity" when they don't feel like their voices are being heard by a giant corporation publishing games to meet quotas.

At first, the fanbase might be disappointed with how little their input actually means in the sea of voices. But I think that over time, we'll see a lot less fan outrage and a lot more developer support. That can only be good for the industry and the fans. Partly this will be due to a simple increase in product quality without the publisher dictating what will and will not sell, and partly it will be due to the developers communicating with their customers directly, hearing their feedback, and explaining their decision-making process.
    elminsterAurenRavidel
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    While I like the prospect of Project Eternity, money concerns and it being such an unknown quantity keeps me from 'backing' it. Even I could afford to put something towards it, but I just don't know yet if at the end of the day it will be something I want. I hope it's good, but I'll wait and see.

Also, does anyone else think it's a bit weird that Obsidian are doing a kickstarter for a Ininity Engine game at the same time as Beamdog are doing BG:EE as well as Black Isle is being resurrected? Though admittedly that last one seems to be in name only.
    elminster
    edited September 2012
    Eternity Engine is a long term project no matter what they try to announce, will take a huge ammount of time to meet the money requeriments, and besides being an D&D game, they're still under WotC rules.

They could have more sucess with an slow rate money investment that's for sure, for example people register into a particular forum for this eternity engine project at the cost of $1 dollar per month that could be put in automatic debit, or atecipated with the year payment. Anyone that invest at least $X would be entitled to have the game.

The benefits of being registered for the montly payment, besides of being entitled to have a copy of the game after $x invested, could be automatic updates with info of the project on the e-mail, a free obsidian game (free only in name) after each $x contributed (that could be $40 or 50 for example) that could do people make an additional invest to reach faster this ammount (when someone has $37 of a $40 roof for example).

Well they surelly have their marketing dept. so i believe the project is viable, otherwise they wouldn't try to make it.
  • triclops41triclops41 Member Posts: 207
    Considering Obsidian's history, this game will be extremely late, and extremely awesome.
    I'm thinking close to a year late. I'll be unsubscribing to the kick starter email updates and just come back around the time it is supposed to launch to check in.

• Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    Quite a bit of misinformation in this thread.
  • ginger_hammerginger_hammer Member Posts: 160
    I've backed this game, 1st kickstarter one I've done and it sounds promising. A long wait though but something to look forwards too.
    RedGuard said:

Also, does anyone else think it's a bit weird that Obsidian are doing a kickstarter for a Ininity Engine game at the same time as Beamdog are doing BG:EE as well as Black Isle is being resurrected? Though admittedly that last one seems to be in name only.

My understanding is that this game is using the Unity engine to create an isometric viewpoint but not using the Infinity Engine specifically.

Yeah, nothing going on with Black Isle since the announcement, but it's interesting to see this all happening at once and I have to wonder if the success of BG:EE so far has inspired these events. It doesn't seem that this would all happen as a coincidence.
    RedGuard
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,175
    kamuizin said:

Eternity Engine is a long term project no matter what they try to announce, will take a huge ammount of time to meet the money requeriments, and besides being an D&D game, they're still under WotC rules.

I don't know what you mean by Eternity Engine, but it is not D&D game, so they are not under WotC rules. They are making completely new world and rules, which is good, but kind of my biggest worry.
    I'm sure it's not a coincidence at all. These are a lot of the same players, and it's likely that they pay attention to what each other are doing. That's not a bad thing, unless they start getting competitive with each other, running smear ad campaigns and such.

On the other hand, Beamdog was negotiating this deal for a little over a year before the game was even announced. Fearghus mentioned in an interview that he first started thinking about PE during an interview with Gamebanshee.

The only players that we don't know anything about so far are Black Isle. They're kind of the outlier in this little scatter graph.
    RedGuard
    @Pecca, well, it's something more that i didn't knew before and now i know, so.