Skip to content

Greetings!

Hello everybody, my name is John and I've recently been rediscovering my old love of the Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape games. I've been reading these forums heavily for a few weeks now and figured I'd join to participate in discussions as well. I'm 32 and my introduction to D&D was through Baldur's Gate II when it was brand new, I was 15 at the time and it completely changed my life. I'll never forget rolling a character for the first time, understanding almost nothing about what I was doing but it was love at first sight and I've since replayed the game more times than I can count.

The enhanced editions showing up as available on my phone after not having played the games for many years brought me back, and later I got all of the enhanced edition games for PC and have been going through the Baldur's Gate series recently (currently I'm playing a Priest of Lathander and am going through the Underdark with Keldorn, Aerie, Nalia, Imoen and Neera). I also began a new game on Icewind Dale but have put it on hold until I've cleared Throne of Bhaal.

I have a 12 year old son and 8 year old daughter who I've been trying to introduce to the games with varying degrees of success; my daughter began a game as a Shaman (lol) and they both come to see when I'm battling something like a Lich or a Mind Flayer with excitement, and they will occasionally peek at my Forgotten Realms source books. Anyway, I hope to become an active member here and learn from others, I play on 'normal' difficulty since it's been so many years and I've forgotten much of the intricacies of magic and combat, but I'm beginning to be comfortable again, I was able to defeat the Shade Lich, Firkraag and a few other difficult enemies and believe I will be able to go up to 'core rules' soon. Thanks for reading!
ArctodusronaldoTorgrimmerRavenslightJuliusBorisov

Comments

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Welcome to this forum and enjoy your stay here :)
    RavenslightJuliusBorisov
  • unseeingeyeunseeingeye Member Posts: 16
    Thank you very much :)
    There is a ton of great information to read here!
    ronaldoTorgrimmerRavenslightJuliusBorisov
  • TorgrimmerTorgrimmer Member Posts: 331
    Welcome aboard. Enjoy your stay, your welcoming cookie should arrive shortly.

@Nimran
    RavenslightNimranJuliusBorisov[Deleted User]
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Welcome back! A bit like coming home again, huh.

There is something about taking down old Frikraag again, after a prolonged absence, that makes one truly feel “home again”. :)
    JuliusBorisov
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Hey! :cookie: for you!
    TorgrimmerJuliusBorisov
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Welcome! And watch out for @Anduin and @mlnevese ‘cause they ain’t right. Not in a bad way, but still.
    mlneveseAnduinJuliusBorisov
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Hey! I'm Martian! Martians are ALWAYS right!

Welcome to the forum and have fun! I bet the kids will be playing better than you in no time. Children have a bad habit of doing that :wink:
    Garvin77AnduinJuliusBorisov
  • ber5nie5ber5nie5 Member Posts: 424
    hail and well met! enjoy the forums and rekindling your love of BG!
    JuliusBorisov
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Honestly, it’s the left you have to worry about with Martians.
    tbone1mlneveseAnduinJuliusBorisov
    Lol thank you very much everybody! :)
    And Ravenslight, yes absolutely. I was ecstatic when I finally took Firkraag down and look forward to being able to do so on my next character on the core rules difficulty. It is very much a feeling of being welcomed home and there is so much that I'd completely forgotten about during my absence, so it feels almost as magical as when I played for the very first time.
    And actually there are still things which I've never done, for instance the Bard and Thief strongholds, sticking to a purely evil aligned party throughout the entire series, and playing as a Sorcerer, so I still have content to look forward to from the original games along with the new characters. Prior to getting back into these games I was replaying the original and the second Fallout games, and Morrowind, but I'm finding that Baldur's Gate II remains my favorite game of all time. I'm also feeling impatient to resume Icewind Dale but I'm committed to finishing ToB first. These games are incredible and I remember well how much they meant to me as a young teen, I'm so grateful to find that that feeling has been renewed.
    RavenslightJuliusBorisov
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Welcome @unseeingeye

Please take my proffered hand in the spirit of friendship...

Keep it in fact. Being dead is handy for replacing bits and bobs from time to time... Although I will admit it is difficult to sow one handed...

Now my real question is... Cauliflower or Broccoli, Pancakes or Waffles... I need to know your alignment...
    mlneveseunseeingeyeJuliusBorisovtaclane
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Anduin said:

Welcome @unseeingeye

Keep it in fact. Being dead is handy for replacing bits and bobs from time to time... Although I will admit it is difficult to sow one handed...

Confirmed: @Anduin is really an Igor from Discworld
    mlneveseJuliusBorisovAnduin
    I see @Anduin is trying to drag another new forum member to the Eternal Wars...
    JuliusBorisovAnduin
    Anduin said:

Welcome @unseeingeye

Now my real question is... Cauliflower or Broccoli, Pancakes or Waffles... I need to know your alignment...

Broccoli, and waffles, for sure..

And what eternal wars? Like the Blood War? :blush:
    JuliusBorisovAnduin
    edited January 2018

Anduin said:

Welcome @unseeingeye

Broccoli, and waffles, for sure..

And what eternal wars? Like the Blood War? :blush:
    You don't want to know... Let's just say it involves undead, extra-dimensional beings, ghosts, aliens, broccoli, cauliflower, pancakes and waffles... It crosses threads, walls and activity pages... There are no boundaries for it.
    JuliusBorisov
    (a low voice sounds within your mind)
    Knowledge is thy familiar. No query shall prove too perilous for the God of the Pit of the Faithless.
    mlnevese
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745

(a low voice sounds within your mind)
    Knowledge is thy familiar. No query shall prove too perilous for the God of the Pit of the Faithless.

I have never come across a soul so condemned... On the alignment scale... Cauliflower and Broccoli correspond to the goodness and corruption of your soul... You have not chosen the pristine goodly white of Cauli and her flower people... You chose Broc and the e-coli disease and pestulents that follow it... Evil some would say...

Also you chose Waffle. A rigid pudding full of squares. Inflexible. Lawful and absconding the messy chaotic splat that is the humble pancake...

We shall know you for what you are Lawful Evil paragon...

You will meet @Shandaxx and ride out of the hells to spread your taint...

Or... I can let you change your mind?
    mlnevese