Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    edited January 2018
    Krell did it... holy cow... SoA has been finished... only ToB left! :)

Krell went the good path all the time - nothing special. Most funny thing: Sarevok could not touch the Spirit Summons nor Krell transformed into a Greater Fire Elemental. This left open only one more...

The start of this last battle was crucial and forced several reloads. At the end Krell placed three Nymphs and two Earth Elementals around the spawning area of the demons so Krell could escape without anyone following him (only soaking up Remove Magics). Haste effect from Energy Blades proved to be very helpful too.

Once Krell got out of vision he watched the scene thanks to Far Sight (have i mentioned before how great this spell is). Irenicus wasted Time Stop and Planetar on the summons so Krell recasted one more Earth Elemental that played decoy once Irenicus (and only Irenicus) started to search for him.

Krell used another Earth Elemental for retreat to let Irenicus waste his spells. Once all Earth Elementals were down he switched to Fire Elementals while combining them with Elemental Summoning. He got lucky this time and the Fire Elemental Prince appeared who gave the Slayer some good beating. Once the first Fire Elementals went down he replaced them with Spirit Lions and - finally - with another Fire Elemental Prince saving the Deva for the last man standing.

At least this was the plan but the three remaining Spirit Lions and Zaaman Rul proved to be enough taking away the last Hitpoints from Irenicus...

Too bad the screenshots were not saved... can it be that there is a limit of 500 pics in the screenshot folder? Damn it...

Anyway: ToB will be next and at least the start should be some chilling again. Hopefully! :D

P.S. Blackrazor wont work against Mel @histamiini ;)
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    Great stuff Harpagornis. I enjoyed picturing Nizi's face as she prepared to gloat over all the possessions you handed over :p.
    edited January 2018
    Yeah, the poverty run so far was really funny even though its more of a summons vs everything - at least most of the time. But on the other hand it gave me some nice insight on whats possible and where the limitations are. The latter one will stop this run most probably against Abazigal or Sendai so i am already thinking about some reconfigurations before doing all of this in a no-reload-poverty-challenge "once more". :D

I was "always" aware that Totemic Druids have great potential but Krells run has shown that in most cases only the sky is the limit. Or the number of summons. I dont think there are many - if any - classes that can compete here with Totemic Druids. Avengers and Shapeshifters might get through too but will suffer a bit more against the bosses. Maybe Sorcerers are the only ones who have any realistic chance even though Sarevok and especially Big B might be a bag of neverending trouble. But thats something i leave open to you @Grond0! :D
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    @histamiini Seriously, the way you're stomping that game - no-reload I might add -, I wonder if you still have a challenge ahead of you.

Maybe you could try the Revisions mod ? They nerf a bunch of overly powerful items (PfU, Carsomyr, Arrows od Dispelling, etc...). I think that's pretty much the only way you'll have to "work" again.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @histamiini: You're doing this no-reload?
    Frisk is in the Underdark now and has just hit level 19, gaining access to Energy Blades and Summon Planetar. Mage HLAs are level 9 spells in my install instead of innate spells, which is good in the long run but leaves us a bit weaker at the moment.

We skipped the Yuan-ti Mages and encountered no lich, so we used the Protection from Undead scroll to kill Dace.

Irenicus in Spellhold was not difficult. We couldn't stop his Improved Alacrity from coming out, but the other inmates apply so many magic attacks that all we had to do was use a single Breach scroll and fire a bunch of nonmagical arrows at him when his PFMW Contingency came out.

I don't like fighting drow even outside of LoB mode, so rather than micromanage my planetar and have Frisk fuss over their defenses while they watched and waited, I just blasted the hell out of the drow with some Arrows of Detonation via Simulacrum.

We still haven't tackled the Kuo-toa Prince, but he shouldn't be too challenging. The other kuo-toa will give us grief because of their numerical superiority and ability to see through invisibility, but the Kuo-toa Prince has 0 AC and 20 STR, so Called Shot on some Minute Meteors should kill him pretty fast.

The Balor is too tough for us for land a STR drain kill, so it's probably just going to be a really long slog. I might cook up a few PFMW, Improved Haste, and Mordenkainen's Sword scrolls just to speed things up.

The rest of the Underdark should be a cakewalk. I might tackle the mind flayer city if the Teleport spell lets me hop in and out at will, but I won't really need the Control Circlets until ToB.
    @histamiini: If you're going no-reload, I think the critical threats to your character are Maze and stat drain, because your resistances and saving throws should block almost everything else (Dwarven Defenders are awesome). If you have SCS vampires with CON drain, hold onto those Protection from Undead scrolls or Potions of Absorption, and don't fight any mind flayers you don't absolutely have to. Bear in mind that the Ring of Spell Turning only casts Minor Spell Turning, so it won't block Maze; your only defense is Potions of Magic Protection. Also note that Implosion doesn't offer a save, though that won't matter unless you let Defensive Stance drop for some reason.

Even a Dwarven Defender can die against Ascension Melissan, so you should know it back to front if you're going to tackle her without reloading.
  • histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,442
    edited January 2018
    @Arctodus Well lets not get ahead of ourselves, there's still the hardest battles ahead. :) I've played the game like 10 times in a short period, so it's pretty straight forward atm, but ToB I've done only once with LoB SCS Ascension. Making the game also harder would only come into question after finishing the game, if Six or Seven beats Melissan, then sure probably.

@semiticgod Yeah no-reload only since Sir Vanderley beat Melissan. Maze is probably the biggest threat, because I think some lesser opponents can Maze you so I might not be expecting it. Imprisonment and stat drains are still in memory from my Cavalier run, Sim PfM against Imprisonment and PfU against Bodhi, who can kill you in almost a round with that Con drain. There's also the Book of Infinite Spells which offers Spell Turning, which I used against Abazigal successfully, but Sim PfM offers better protection. End battle also has Thac0 and item thieves, aka bastards.

Seven can have 17 turn undispellable 100 DR in the end battle, and Cloak of Mirroring should keep spell damage out, so there should be a good chance, although I still would bet all the money I've ever seen, that Six (F/M/C) will fair better in it. ;) Moot point if neither gets there...
    Post edited by histamiini on
    edited January 2018
    Finally got into the right mood of giving the Wizard Slayer a chance. Damn this will be tricky without my beloved Spirit Summons! :D

Zyxx is doing fairly good so far - here is the log:

Candlekeep 290
    Sonner 35
    Tenya 2500
    Marl 900
    Firebead 300
    Level 3 reached – dual classed to Druid
    Shoal 5000 (38) → Level 3
    Charmed Tiax (17) -> Ghast
    Spiders 4x 270
    Silke 900
    Mutamins Garden 8x 1400 + 2x 7000 + 1x 1200 (Korax + Doom + Slinging) → Level 6
    Hobgoblin 200
    Grabbed Drizzts items
    Brage 1000
    Noober 400 → Level 7
    Ankheg Armor
    Greywolf and Prism 2400 (Hold!)
    Albert& Rufie 1000
    Revenant 900
    Samuel 500
    Tarnesh 120
    Landrin 800
    Hobgoblins 3x 35
    Joia 400
    Brun 1500
    Ankhegs 8x 975 (Hold Monsters + Call Lightning)
    Wolf 120
    Skeletons 2x 65
    Melicamp 2000 (Yeah!)
    Dryad 850
    Drienne 200
    Ardrouine 860
    Half Ogres 4x 270 (Died like flies)
    Bjornin 400
    Colquetle 250
    Ogrillons 2x 175
    Mirianne 300
    Gnolls 2x 65 + 35
    Karlat 270
    Perdue 500
    Hobgoblins 3x 35
    Zhurlong 300
    Zombie Hunting 20x 65 + 800 (Call Lightning!) → Level 8

Once the Nymphs joined the party everything got a lot easier as they either hold the enemies and/or burn them into the ground with Call Lightning. The main questline however should be much more challenging than with Totemic Druid - despite the items. Scimitars are very powerful so far - even more with the newly aquired Grand Mastery. Lets have some more fun - time to reach level 9! ;)

EDIT: My good old mate @Vynn started with Wizard Slayer/Druid as well to double our chances. This should get funny! :D
    Post edited by Harpagornis on
    edited January 2018
    Holy cow - or better: Holy Ankheg! :D

Zyxx farmed Ankhegs with three Nymphs until he hit level 9 - which took an hour. Sirenes might have been better XP wise but i did not want to risk anything. After that the rest was easy: Get PfP scroll and blow through the Battle Horrors with Call Lightning while smacking down the Basilisks and some more Ghasts in Durlags Tower. Even better: With his new Tome and level 10 Zyxx can now call in five Nymphs for maximum fun.

He used them to good effect after sneaking down to Mulahey using Pixie Dust and placed all five of them around the evil Cleric. Then he let them have some fun holding and dominating Mulahey several times while soaking away his HP without any danger. As Mulahey was now unable to call in his guards Zyxx moved in to get in some final blows. Quite cheesy but very effective! :D

The Bandit Camp might be more troublesome...
    edited January 2018
    Zyxx moved on to the Bandit Camp after obliterating Tranzig without problems.

Before going in for real i tested my old Berserker/Druid if going in and out would be reliable enough. After ten tries the result was clear: Buffed up with Armor of Faith, Protection from Lightning, Iron Skin, Resist Cold/Fire, Magic Resistance and Defensive Harmony the rest was easy. Sneak in with Pixie Dust, grab the documents and rush out in Bear Form.

The only danger was Venkt casting Horror as the Elite Archers either started shooting too late or hit him only once (twice one time). But Venkt always proved to be too slow so Zyxx rushed out of the camp while the Nymphs outside played decoys as intended.

That was much easier than exptected - Cloakwood Mines will be next... ;)

EDIT: Luck was still on Zyxx side after he sneaked down to Davaeorn who got dominated by four Nymphs and smacked down by his own guards. Would have been some work otherwise... :D

Drasus were treated in the same way: Dominated and send against his own friends which proved to be quite harmful for him when failing his saving throw against a Chromatic Orb from Kysus...
    edited January 2018

I'm still around, just been dealing with some life issues. Tried to get my first attempt going earlier today at last...and died to the first assassin in candlekeep lol.

Yeah I remember that when I first played LoB, also don't bother with the rats. :D

Half of this challenge is knowing which enemies NOT to fight. If you try to tackle every gang of kobolds, LoB mode is a tedious grind.
    edited January 2018
    Where refreshing stuff @canadianchris even though with a bad end. For now. Next run will get better for sure! ;)

Zyxx is doing some stuff in the city and thinking if he should try to get Durlags Goblet or not. With Fear always around Love the risk of getting stunned seems too dangerous. I tried @histamiini´s approach of hitting him once to make him wander alone but its not working in my installation. Fear is always keeping a close eye on his friend and he refuses even to be lured away from Love by just running back if he gets too far away from him. Thats something he never has done in the past (half a year ago) so i dont know why he is doing it now. Will have to test this more... :D
    edited January 2018
    @Harpagornis Have you tried hitting with ranged attack out of sight of others when they are in the wander mode? With couple of times you can lure Love pretty far from the rest at least with my install.
    edited January 2018
    The problem is that Fear is nearly instantly walking to Love after they transformed and when Love starts to wander around Fear is following him constantly @histamiini - damn it...

But maybe Durlags Goblet wont be needed anyway. In most cases the summons or later on harm should do the job. Without potion buffing or hiding Big B cannot be tanked or killed via hit & run so again Harm seems to be the only option. Fear protection we can get from the Commanders Mail too.

I was also thinking about using Kiels Helm to negate Horrors from the Ogre Mages but tests have shown thats its not needed. With Chaotic Commands and by running just to the map border Zyxx escaped without any problem. Thanks to Pixie Dust he sneaked through after returning and jumped right into the catacombs. Too bad that he was unable to open the chest with the last Wisdom Tome - DoHM was not enough...

However: The limitations of the Wizard Slayer are no problem as i got used to poverty in the last time. Wielding a weapon and wearing some armor makes me feel incredibly powerful at the moment but when planning a viable strategy against Sarevok i completly forgot that in the end i can just sling him down. Funny. However Slythe and even more the Palace Ambush will be challenging and at the moment i am still thinking which Mage around the Palace i should dominate. Razamith for Skeleton Warrior or better Ithyl for casting Invisibility on Liia?

Zyxx also got two scrolls of Mental Domination from Ulghots Beard and Durlags Tower which could be helpful later on...
    edited January 2018
    Zyxx finally was able to face Love 1vs1 - without anyone following him. After sacrificing five Nymphs Love started to wonder around so Zyxx - who had recasted Pixie Dust after talking - could lure the little beast to the stairs to play hit & run with him. Abusing the exit was the only safe way to avoid charming (no Chaotic Commands up) or slowing. But even then Zyxx had to use several healing potions before getting in the final blow:

Getting Durlags Goblet and Kiels Helmet was now no big deal anymore... ;)

EDIT: Just for fun i tested the fight again and this time Love did not wander. 10 tries and nothing even though i used the same setting.

EDIT2: Easiest way seems to be attacking him out of invisibility with only Love seeing Zyxx so he starts hunting him. For whatever reason Fear does not follow even though i tried the same tactic with other chars...
    edited January 2018
    Got time to smack again. Seven smacked Mekrath for Rod of Resurrection. Did some guests, Sir Sarles, Ring of Lathander. Druid Grove, invisibility, smacked the three Druids, got Cernd and got him invisible and he challenged Faldorn, Insect Plaque + Summons + Greater Werewolf. Smacked the Djinnis in Trademeet for Bottle of Efreeti, smacked Treya for her Cloak. After these lucrative guests I had 43k gold, but still not enough.

Summoned Efreeti and smacked Prebek down, looted Harper Hold, smacked Rayic down, 56k gold. Smacked the Pirates and turned the evidence for Mae'var. Freed Hendak, Sword in the Sewers and freed rest of the slaves, which made Seven 20/20. Also made enough money for Shadow Thieves and Defender of Easthaven, and Seven now boasts 2 hours of undispellable 90 DR. :D