Skip to content

[HOW TO] Install mods on iOS devices (NO Jailbreak)

Comments

• FurynotesFurynotes Member Posts: 2
    Hey does this still work? Can find anything in iTunes to get the ipa.
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    Furynotes said:

Hey does this still work? Can find anything in iTunes to get the ipa.

You need an old version of iTunes, i.e., a version that allows you to access the iOS App Store: try this one -> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208079
  • FurynotesFurynotes Member Posts: 2
    Awesome thanks, will try that
  • Sneeky17Sneeky17 Member Posts: 9
    To install multiple mods, do you just install them back to back and then zip and send the override folder to iPad? Or do you have to do each mod separately loading the override folders one at a time?
    Sneeky17 said:

To install multiple mods, do you just install them back to back and then zip and send the override folder to iPad? Or do you have to do each mod separately loading the override folders one at a time?

Install them back to back and then zip and send the override folder plus the lang folder to your iPad.
    Sneeky17 said:

If there is any interest, I could make a YouTube video tutorial showing all the steps.

Yes, why not?

Anyway, I added a FAQ section in the first post to make things a little bit clearer.....
    edited January 2018
    Pibaro said:

I know it’s off topic but I’m stuck in durlag’s tower in my scs ipad run.
    I can’t get to the chess room even if I killed all the elemental enemies in the four rooms.
    It happens every time, in every playthriugh and everytime I install SCS1.
    I know how to byoass this, I just need to export the game, import it to my pc, and killing the fire elemental enemy, then killing everyone in the chess room, exporting the game and reimporting in my ipad, but it’s frustrating!!
    I Wonder if anyone else has this problem too.

It seems to be a well known issue -> http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27035&p=252800
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited January 2018

I think you can get around it with the console... but there's no console on the iPad. One of the reasons I never use the SCS "Improved Durlag's Tower" component.

As @Pibaro said, simply export your save game to your computer, use the console and re-import the save game to your iOS device. Anyway, @DavidW said this bug is fixed in v31 (no ETA though :( ......)
  • Xtremeyouth1Xtremeyouth1 Member Posts: 5
    Is there anyone who has just created the xp cap remover or maybe just minimal mods that can share the files through Dropbox. I only have a chromebook lol. Or even a ton of mods could be fun too. I would take any help. Thanks guys for your tireless efforts.
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    I just have a SCS1 zip (not a minimal mod), but I'm planning to create more when the 2.5 will be available
    Pibaro said:

I just have a SCS1 zip (not a minimal mod), but I'm planning to create more when the 2.5 will be available

I'd love to try it if you have a link to those files. Anything you can do is greatly appreciated, I promise.
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    edited January 2018
    You can try this.
    https://files.fm/u/ad8b53q8
    https://files.fm/u/rm9uwc5t

The first one is the override, the last one is the dialog.tlk
    Pibaro said:

You can try this.
    https://files.fm/u/ad8b53q8
    https://files.fm/u/rm9uwc5t

The first one is the override, the last one is the dialog.tlk

Wow! I’m so excited! Is there any way to know once you start the game to know the changes have taken effect? Something to look for or just play? I can’t tell you how thankful I am for this community and you personally. This is great!
    Really enjoying this mod so far, if anyone actually has an XP cap remover for the iPad and can share it would be so so appreciated. Thanks again every one!!!
    edited January 2018
    I've just updated the OP with instructions on installing UI mods!! -> I've successfully installed Lefreut's Inventory Screen & Record Screen.

A couple of comments:
    • it should also be possible to install mods that add/update areas (like EET, the second level of the Ice Island from the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion and so forth......)
    • the tool doesn't seem to work on MacOS and I cannot find out why :( ....
    Post edited by _Luke_ on
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,434
    Desktop games support only DXT1 and DXT5. Other formats will crash the game. Btw, textures in the PVRTC format (as required by iOS) will result in a noticeably lower quality than their DXT5 counterparts of the desktop version. It's really only a solution for smaller screens. To make matters worse, Android will most likely support even more different texture formats (e.g. ETC).
    edited January 2018

But if the utility doesn't work on MacOS, that would not do anything for players like me.

This is a BIG problem, I agree. Anyway, you should also try to use the utility and see if it works for you....

@argent77 I'd like to test your tool with mods that add/update areas. How should I use it? I mean, I installed The 2nd level of the Ice Island from TOTSC. Now what? How can I convert .ARE files in /override in order to make them iOS ready?
    It depends on whether the mod installs the map tilesets as palette-based TIS or PVRZ-based TIS. For the former you have to use NI to convert the tilesets into the PVRZ format. The latter should work out of the box if iOS does indeed support DXT1.
    argent77 said:

It depends on whether the mod installs the map tilesets as palette-based TIS or PVRZ-based TIS.

Where can I see this detail?
    Not directly. File size of palette-based TIS is significantly higher (usually several MB) while PVRZ-based TIS is at most several kb big. Moreover, NI provides an Export option into the PVRZ format for palette-based TIS, and vice versa for PVRZ-based TIS.
    edited January 2018
    @argent77 I've attached my override folder -> Could you provide additional details about how to see if a certain mod installs the map tilesets as palette-based TIS or PVRZ-based TIS?

I mean, UB installed the new area AR1010.ARE and if I check AR1010.TIS, NI gives me the option to export it as palette-based TIS -> This means the mod in question installs the map tilesets as PVRZ-based TIS, right? So, nothing is required to do in order to make it work on iOS, right? (since as I've already told you, some iOS PVRZ files are of type DXT1, in particular all those files where width ~= height, like A050403.PVRZ)
    Post edited by _Luke_ on
    AR1010.TIS isn't included in the attached override archive. It's possible that the mod makes use of a tileset that already exists in the vanilla game.
    edited January 2018
    argent77 said:

It's possible that the mod makes use of a tileset that already exists in the vanilla game.

Yes, you're right. AR1010.TIS attached, have a look.
    Post edited by _Luke_ on
    That TIS file is certainly PVRZ-based. The palette-based variant would be about 9 MB in size.
    edited January 2018
    argent77 said:

That TIS file is certainly PVRZ-based.

So, everything should work out of the box in this case, right (i.e., no extra operation is needed, i.e., I should be able to access the 2nd level)? I'd like to test it out, but it's impossible to reach the Ice Island in a reasonable amount of time (even with the aid of Story Mode.....)

Do you know if there are mods that add additional areas at the beginning of the game (i.e., after the prologue)?
    None that I know, but you could reconnect one of the doors in Candlekeep with the map AR1010. Simply copy the field data from the AR1009.ARE travel trigger that leads to AR1010 to one of the travel triggers in Candlekeep (AR2600) with NI. Relevant are only fields "Destination area" and "Entrance name".
    edited January 2018
    argent77 said:

None that I know, but you could reconnect one of the doors in Candlekeep with the map AR1010. Simply copy the field data from the AR1009.ARE travel trigger that leads to AR1010 to one of the travel triggers in Candlekeep (AR2600) with NI. Relevant are only fields "Destination area" and "Entrance name".

So, I made the following changes to trigger 3 of AR2600 (the one that is supposed to "teleport" your character to the Candlekeep Inn):
    • Destination area: AR1010.ARE
    • Entrance name: Exit1009
    And it worked!!! I explored the entire area and killed Dezkiel and his minions. So: as long as a certain mod that add/update areas uses existing game resources, everything should work out of the box, right?
    Post edited by _Luke_ on