Skip to content

All you wanted to know about the next Beamdog's project

Comments

• lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Progamer, not programmer.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    As a former military officer I'm really good at telling people what to do.
  • CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
    It got to be new Axis and Allies game.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Still waiting for that 5e videogame.
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Perhaps it is Axis & Allies D&D-ified. Like a Blood War variation (Demons & Devils).

Perhaps it is Axis & Allies D&D-ified. Like a Blood War variation (Demons & Devils).

Demons V Devils: Dawn of the lower Planes.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Yeah, if this would be indeed strategy multiplayer game, that would be super disappointing for me :(
  • LAZERDOGLAZERDOG Member Posts: 27
    Beamdog have expressed great interest in the multiplayer strategy genre in the past. If I remember correctly, there were a bunch of interviews back in 2010 when they mentioned that the upcoming rpgs and enhanced editions would be an intermediate step towards their big project: A massively multiplayer online strategy game set in the world of dungeons and dragons.

I personally just hope they'll go the f2p route since that would make it easier to get into the game (and to get friends into the game) and to buy short cuts later on (I don't have that much time for games - I'd rather have the games play themselves for me).

• SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,235
    LAZERDOG said:

I personally just hope they'll go the f2p route since that would make it easier to get into the game (and to get friends into the game) and to buy short cuts later on (I don't have that much time for games - I'd rather have the games play themselves for me).

That's a very slippery slope toward pay-to-win...
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    2) A root canal
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    edited January 2018
    LAZERDOG said:

A massively multiplayer online strategy game set in the world of dungeons and dragons.

I wonder what the strategy part means (Starcraft meets BG? Like, uh, Dragonshard or whatever that game was called?). Because a D&D MMO is a TERRIBLE idea, since the D&D rules allows so much tweaking etc that the difference between a "powergamed" character and a "I like to roleplay" character is immense - not to mention the difference between a high level and a low level character. Thus, quests will either be laughable easy for powergamer characters, or throw the keyboard in the floor frustratingly hard for I like to roleplay characters. And lets not even talk about PvP. Then it must be "balanced" to hell and back and there will be endless tears of rage shed in all directions, and the game will still be unfair. Or the devs don't give a shit, like in Diablo II, and you will have endless Diablo Bhaal runs that is *yawn* to everyone who is not a powergamers. Also, D&D rules will also encourage short battles, with like backstab stacking that can deal 300 HP damage in a single hit or whatever that ruins the game for everyone but the Diablo 2 style gamers (and these people dont even like the game, they just want to brag with their stats and shiny armor to everyone who cares to listen, like the IRL equivalent of driving owning a Lamborghini). Not to mention, people get so addicted to this shit, Blizzard have put the drop rate for quality gear even on extremely lengthy and difficult encounters to 0.001%, because it is the only way of avoiding flooding the market.

So, if they are doing an MMO, I really hope they are doing something like DOTA... or are VERY smart about the design, otherwise it will be unplayable!
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    PvP always results in meta game while in cooperative play people come together to do fun things. Friendly fire in bg is still quite fun to play with in a party.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    They scrapped their microtransaction free-to-play game years ago. They couldn't stomach the concept.

As I said, next game looks like it is going to be Axis and Allies. Yes it isn't for everyone as it is a completely different genre than the IE game, but take a step back and realize thier business decisions don't revolve around you or even the IE/RPG communities.

It's a new low risk with high brand appeal product to help fund future projects.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    deltago said:

They scrapped their microtransaction free-to-play game years ago. They couldn't stomach the concept.

As I said, next game looks like it is going to be Axis and Allies. Yes it isn't for everyone as it is a completely different genre than the IE game, but take a step back and realize thier business decisions don't revolve around you or even the IE/RPG communities.

It's a new low risk with high brand appeal product to help fund future projects.

I enjoy Axix & Allies type games so I'm hoping you're right. There haven't been any good turn-based computer strategy games in at least a decade (that I know of anyway).
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Balrog99 Xcom
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    ThacoBell said:
    The original one where your soldiers wouldn't always miss something right in front of them with no cover and 99% chance to hit? I'd buy that :)
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    There is a game called Phoenix Point in development that looks interesting because:

a) the emphasis is on single player

and

b) the setting is Science Fiction, not WWII.
    Fardragon said:

There is a game called Phoenix Point in development that looks interesting because:

a) the emphasis is on single player

and

b) the setting is Science Fiction, not WWII.

Tell us more about It.
  • shmity72shmity72 Member Posts: 46
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4EPVvgQzeQ&t=14s

EE meeeeeee!!! please!!!!! i actually met in person' a government hawaiian friend from playing him on axis and allies world club! miss it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angus_McKelvey

AXIS AND ALLIES HASBRO:EE :)
  • CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
    Fardragon said:

There isn't a sad-face sad enough to express how little enthusiasm I have for an Axis and Allies game. Or any game with an emphasis on multiplayer.

Well, I won't buy it either and have no interest in it. But they did bought the domain with A&A name a while back and maybe it's now too late to abandon that project.
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    Something I would play and pay good money for is Gorion stories, the prequel to BG. Yes, you would hafta pick Gorion as your main, and the outcome is already set, so what? Make it in the style of Demon Stone - that game is sooooo underappreciated.

P.S. I know I already asked this, but it keeps bugging me; why did BD chose NWNEE over NWN2EE? NWN is an incredible stable engine that almost never crashes, so it does not need an EE and whatever you do that is anything but nerfing knockdown and removing 6 APR is shit, because knockdown and 6 APR is game breaking. The only thing that could save NWN is to throw out the 3E D&D rules and replace with Divinity: Original Sin rules or something else that is not broken by design.

NWN2 however, is unplayable because it crashes every five minutes and is ugly as sin. If there were e'er a game in need of an EE, it would be that. Except of course, Arcanum is an order of magnitude more interesting than any NWN whatever, but I mean, if you're going to stick with D&D it would be NWN2.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,235
    DrakeICN said:

Something I would play and pay good money for is Gorion stories, the prequel to BG. Yes, you would hafta pick Gorion as your main, and the outcome is already set, so what?

There could still be some customization of Gorion... We know he's a wizard, but he might have dabbled in other classes. If rules were bended a little further he could even be "something other than fully human".

Khalid and Jaheira would be obvious NPCs, but there might have been more, of many different backgrounds.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    mlnevese said:

ThacoBell said:
    The original one where your soldiers wouldn't always miss something right in front of them with no cover and 99% chance to hit? I'd buy that :)
    Off-topic I'm playing the original with mods on android via Open Xcom, it is fabulous :).

• gugulug5000gugulug5000 Member Posts: 248
    DrakeICN said:

Something I would play and pay good money for is Gorion stories, the prequel to BG. Yes, you would hafta pick Gorion as your main, and the outcome is already set, so what? Make it in the style of Demon Stone - that game is sooooo underappreciated.

P.S. I know I already asked this, but it keeps bugging me; why did BD chose NWNEE over NWN2EE? NWN is an incredible stable engine that almost never crashes, so it does not need an EE and whatever you do that is anything but nerfing knockdown and removing 6 APR is shit, because knockdown and 6 APR is game breaking. The only thing that could save NWN is to throw out the 3E D&D rules and replace with Divinity: Original Sin rules or something else that is not broken by design.

NWN2 however, is unplayable because it crashes every five minutes and is ugly as sin. If there were e'er a game in need of an EE, it would be that. Except of course, Arcanum is an order of magnitude more interesting than any NWN whatever, but I mean, if you're going to stick with D&D it would be NWN2.

I agree so much with Demon Stone. I would love that one polished up and added to Steam as an EE. They could just do minor polishing and add it to Steam and I'd be happy.

I think they're going with NWN1 over NWN2 for a couple of reasons. 1: Trent worked on NWN1 not, NWN2 so he has a soft spot for it. 2: Doing NWN1 first still leaves a window open for NWN2 to be done in the future. If they did them in reverse order then people probably would just stick with NWN2 and ignore NWN1. 3: NWN2 is owned by Obsidian if I'm not mistaken and it could be more costly to make.