Skip to content

What is your current quest in life ?

Comments

• tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

O_Bruce said:

I think the important part is also "stop worrying about the rest if you don't have means to do anything about them".

I agree, the question is "how do you stop worrying"?
    Step within six feet of a rattlesnake. Suddenly, you have only one worry in the world.
    Balrog99RaduzielArdanisSon_of_Imoen
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Or get shot in the spine, get stuck in a wheelchair, and discover that all the groceries are in the highs cabinets.

Wait until your wife wakes up to get a cookie.
    Arctodustbone1semiticgoddess
    Or go volunteer to help children and their parents at a cancer hospital. You'll soon adjust your attitude.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited January 2018
    I'd rather continue volunteering in what Ï'm doing right now and what I'm good at. I'm not good at helping people on a 1-on-1 basis. Due to my autism I wouldn't know what to say or what to do when people suffer and due to my too high empathy I'd feel overwhelmed by their sorrow.
    Zaghoultbone1Aerakarsemiticgoddess
    edited January 2018

I'd rather continue volunteering in what Ï'm doing right now and what I'm good at. I'm not good at helping people on a 1-on-1 basis. Due to my autism I wouldn't now what to say or what to do when people suffer and due to my too high empathy I'd feel overwhelmed by their sorrow.

(Yes, high empathy and autism can go together, not always, but being overwhelmed by feeling the pain of others is one of the ways in which people with autism can suffer from information overload, the last being the main characteristic and common ground of autistic spectrum disorders).

*I meant to edit my reply instead of quote myself. I hit the wrong button, I'm not really awake yet.

P.S.: funny how people think the antidote to being overburdened is increasing the burden. Tbone suggests working in a cancer hospital, my sister-in-law suggested taking care of my nephew and nieces for a day, when having children around with their running around and shouting is already very tiring when I needn't take care of them.

The nurse that applies my anti-psychotic medication once every fortnight often says I'd should shut my self off from the world more. If only I'd know how to...
    ZaghoulAerakarsemiticgoddess
    Enough about me. Let's leave it at 'quest insolvable, the game engine is bugged' shall we.

Let's talk about other people's quests in life. What's yours?
    Skatan
    tbone1 said:

Or go volunteer to help children and their parents at a cancer hospital. You'll soon adjust your attitude.

I put this out to people in general, not to anyone specifically. I wish I had done that in my mid-to-late 20s, it probably would have helped me in a lot of things.

Aerakar
  • dreamtravelerdreamtraveler Member Posts: 377
    also another quest i have found is to try not to be angry...
    AerakarSkatan
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    drink better wine think less about middling health be better to everyone
    FinneousPJAerakarArdanis
  • MatthieuMatthieu Member Posts: 386
    Hint, 2003 was a great year for French wine (heat wave accross europe)
    edited March 2018
    I'm planning an upgrade of my desktop with a Ryzen 5 processor. I'm taking advice on the Tweakers.net forum, where most everyone builds their own rig and maybe I will try my hand at building in the new motherboard and processor myself. It's said to be easy as LEGO if you follow the motherboard's manual close, I got an hour-length YouTube video that explains the process (which itself takes only 20 minutes) step-by-step. And if I get stuck, there's plenty of help to be found by the people on the Tweakers forum, who turned out to be very willing to help. It will be a great skill to learn and will make me very proud if I can build my computer out of the parts of my old one, that was self-picked but assembled by the store.
    Assembling computers has become very simple. It used to be messy with jumpers and all.
    Matthieu said:

Assembling computers has become very simple. It used to be messy with jumpers and all.

I once worked with a guy who worked on Gemini and Apollo. He said that it isn’t real debugging if you don’t use a soldering iron.

Matthieu
    Haha true, I said it used to be messy because you could break a computer assembling it. Get the wrong jumped position, insert memory the wrong way etc...

These things don't happen anymore.
    Unless it’s a Samsung phone.

What, too soon?
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    Matthieu said:

As I'm going to visit Pripyat (Chernobyl), an urban exploration thing, early May I decided to renew my digital camera gear. I used to have an Olympus C-5050 Zoom camera which was a very good compact solution and I moved to hybrid cameras with a Panasonic Lumix GX80, I fit a Sigma 30mm/F2.8 Art lens on it, I also have an Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm/2.8 Pro for distant shots.

I need a wide angle lens now too, I'm seriously considering either the Panasonic/Leica 12mm/1.4 DG Summilux asph or the Olympus 7-14mm/2.8 Pro.

I will take photography courses in April to improve my skills.

@Matthieu please share your photos when you get back. Pripyat is beautiful. :)
    MatthieuSkatan
    Will do if I do good enough pictures :)
    Dev6
    edited April 2018
    Matthieu said:

I need a wide angle lens now too, I'm seriously considering either the Panasonic/Leica 12mm/1.4 DG Summilux asph or the Olympus 7-14mm/2.8 Pro.

I will take photography courses in April to improve my skills.

I went for the Panasonic Leica for the information.

EDIT: and I've already taken two courses, waiting for the good weather to come back for some fun outside.
    Post edited by Matthieu on
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited April 2018
    Trying to become a parent. It's not as easy/natural for all couples unfortunately.

Edit: ...while trying too not wallow in self-pity and dive into a deep depressions whilst showing nothing on the outside and keeping up appearances towards family, friends, at work and the random strangers who take it for granted that at a certain age you should have kids or be a complete failure and proceed by telling us all the things we do wrong and if we only [insert useless pro-tip here] everything will work out great.
    ZaghoulAerakarStummvonBordwehrThacoBell
    Skatan said:

Trying to become a parent. It's not as easy/natural for all couples unfortunately.

Edit: ...while trying too not wallow in self-pity and dive into a deep depressions whilst showing nothing on the outside and keeping up appearances towards family, friends, at work and the random strangers who take it for granted that at a certain age you should have kids or be a complete failure and proceed by telling us all the things we do wrong and if we only [insert useless pro-tip here] everything will work out great.

Lose your job. Once unemployment and lack of insurance are achieved, pregnancy is almost guaranteed.
    ThacoBell
    edited April 2018
    Rofl....
    Post edited by Matthieu on
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    tbone1 said:

Skatan said:

Lose your job. Once unemployment and lack of insurance are achieved, pregnancy is almost guaranteed.
    @tbone1 & @ThacoBell

Why would you be so unthoughtful? I hate it!

@Skatan happens to be a great fora member, but that is not the point. I would not recommend to @Skatan to have a child, unless he/she is socially privileged. Privately I might look at unkindness from the likes of you, as a reason - but it's still more about society, as opposed to random boors.

@Skatan hope the very best outcome for you.

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @TStael Twas merely in jest. I would never actually wish for someone to be unable to care for their family.
    ThacoBell said:

@TStael Twas merely in jest. I would never actually wish for someone to be unable to care for their family.

You know the point was not that, but being very "jestly" when someone was being sincere about something that is maybe rather hurtful to them.

Painful even.

In those fragile and open moments, willingly missing the chance to be empathic is wrong I think. Yet here you are again.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Skatan said:

@skatan Sorry. That's tough to even hear, as I was right there myself, with the tests, the drugs, the same thoughts you mentioned. It's just not a good time to go through. Here's to it working out for ya'll. :)
    Skatan
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    TStael said:

ThacoBell said:

You know the point was not that, but being very "jestly" when someone was being sincere about something that is maybe rather hurtful to them.

Painful even.

In those fragile and open moments, willingly missing the chance to be empathic is wrong I think. Yet here you are again.
    And yet here you are again finding reasons to be angry about an innocent post. If I have offended @Skatan , I trust that he would let me know. Don't waste your time getting offended for other people.
    ThacoBell said:

TStael said:

ThacoBell said:

Painful even.

And yet here you are again finding reasons to be angry about an innocent post. If I have offended @Skatan , I trust that he would let me know. Don't waste your time getting offended for other people.
    Is this a bot?
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited April 2018
    Skatan said:

This. This is how it is. Speaking from experience here. You have my sympathies and best wishes. You'll most likely succeed eventually, but it's a very hard path to walk. Try not to lose yourselves on it. Keep in mind that there are many paths to parenthood, some of which require just a little time and good timing, while others require progressively involved medical procedures - IVF, microinsemination, egg or sperm donation, surrogacy - and there's also adoption, which is a whole other issue. These are but means to an end - take a cue from Sarevok himself. At first some of these appear extreme, stuff that you'd never consent to, but they will soon come to feel natural, just the steps needed to achieve your dream. Hopefully you'll not need any of this.
    Post edited by Contemplative_Hamster on
    ThacoBell