Skip to content

Your Own Personal Catchphrase

semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
If you had a dumb-sounding catchphrase, what would it be?

Comments

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited February 2018
    I have a catchphrase:

if it was easy it would be done.

Sounds better in Portuguese: Se fosse fácil estaria feito.
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Trust me, I'm a brewer.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    "There is no such thing as a free lunch."

I add "Someone pays, if not with material resources, then directly with TIME. And if not the receiver of the "free" lunch, someone else SOMEWHERE did to make up for it."
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    "Yes" - This is often my response to questions, where "yes" isn't a valid option. Questions like "do you prefer x or y" or "What do you think is better? X or Y?"
  • dreamtravelerdreamtraveler Member Posts: 377
    edited February 2018
    i read this in a image "when tourists ask me do you speak english? i reply sometimes and then i leave"
    i dont have a catchphrase but a quote that i made
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    O_Bruce said:

"Yes" - This is often my response to questions, where "yes" isn't a valid option. Questions like "do you prefer x or y" or "What do you think is better? X or Y?"

People end up in the eighth circle of Hell for stuff like that.

Oh, wait. I think I'll use that one as my catchphrase!
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    A deadpanned "Wonderful." It is usually my response to anything that I deem to be idle conversation such as "How are you today?" or "What do you think of X?"

I also use to answer "How are you today?" with the phrase "As good as the weather." As I find both topics as unnecessary silent fillers. Might as well kill both at once.

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    O_Bruce said:

I had a lot of fun with a reverse version of this. I had a manager once that if asked about two separate options, would always answer each option individually, even if a single response was suitable for both. So for a bout a year, I would slowly increase the number of questions I would ask him at a time bit by bit, to see how long he would patiently answer each one individually. I think I got up to 8.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Burn it.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    Every problem is an opportunity.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    deltago said:

A deadpanned "Wonderful." It is usually my response to anything that I deem to be idle conversation such as "How are you today?" or "What do you think of X?"

I also use to answer "How are you today?" with the phrase "As good as the weather." As I find both topics as unnecessary silent fillers. Might as well kill both at once.

You can't live in the UK then. Most people would take that as meaning you were either at death's door or had just won the lottery. Depending on what time of day you answered or where you were standing at the moment of asking.

Not because the weather is particularly bad, just that it's about the most fickle thing to base anything on.
    And talking about it is not "unecessary filler".
    Speculating about whether we are going to get a summer is a conversation that is always relevent to anybody British. ;)

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I think compliments are great. They make people feel awesome, they make you feel like a nice person, and it doesn't cost a penny to give them away.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I think it's fair to say there is a reason that critiques often start with compliment. Yes, it is stroking ego, but then again, it is like that for a reason. When giving a critique, you want a person to accept it and learn from it, instead of leashing at you for saying bad things. Plus, most of the time keeping good relations with people pays off in the end.

I kinda knew how is to recieve compliment that is not true (like, I was told my art is top notch from someone on this forum, even though I know it is definitely not. I even have weak fundamentals). But in that instance I would rather just say "thank you" and accept it. I prefer feel good than feeling miserable. I've been throught the latter phase in my life and the last thing I want is to get back to it.

That being said, everyone has different point of view and "false" compliment from my P.O.V could be seen as geniue from person giving that compliment.

Sorry for the off-topic.

PS.
    Yes.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    “You god****** muppet”

Usually spoken to uncooperative inanimate objects.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    "Debate is fun"
    "Hate. Let me tell you..."

Not really a catchphrase, but the beginning of the insane ramblings of the supercomputer AM in I have no mouth and I must scream. Friends and I use it when we are angry or don't like something. Because whatever the issue, it doesn't seem so bad when you try to apply AM's vast and disproportional amounts of hate to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EddX9hnhDS4
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,350
    I once used the old Milton quote:

“Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven”

Its Milton, so its obviously isnt dumb-sounding. But using it in everyday life is overrated if you ask me....

• ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    CamDawg said:

"Another bug in Jaheira's romance?"

Burn it, man.
    I mean - the romance.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957

"There is no such thing as a free lunch."

I add "Someone pays, if not with material resources, then directly with TIME. And if not the receiver of the "free" lunch, someone else SOMEWHERE did to make up for it."

I have another one, actually.

"Ain't dead yet."

Has been generally the reply to my parents when asked about any of our dozens of cats, dog, goat, horses, myself, or anyone/anything else for the last couple years.

As you might expect, I was getting tired of being asked about them on a daily basis and "They're fine" was getting monotonous.

That itself is getting monotonous, so I think I'll have to change it up.

Also, a testament to the dog not being dead yet from old age. It has to be pushing 10 years at least.

"Ain't dead yet."

You're not fooling anyone, you know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbSQ6O6kbs
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I use this one way too much