Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

New Premium Module: Tyrants of the Moonsea! Read More
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Infinity Engine v. Aurora Engine

booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,162

Infinity Engine v. Aurora Engine 25 votes

Aurora Engine
32%
FlashburndeltagoProontThacoBellFardragonGodCvijetaShaerl 8 votes
Infinity Engine
68%
Miridorsarevok57tokarev748ParyslefreutShadowdemonNoonBalrog99smady3booinyoureyeslroumenArdulsemiticgodwoowoovoodooRik_Kirtaniyatbone1Arctodus 17 votes

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 7,741
    That is a hard one... I am certainly better at the Infinity engine...

semiticgod
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,739
    Aurora Engine
    I believe NWN's tagline was "Infinite Possibilities," and its true.

tbone1ProontCvijeta
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 10,049
    Aurora Engine
    The infinity engine is TERRIBLE. The BG games are great in spite of it, not because of it. Honestly, the IE is probably the worst game engine I have ever seen except for the abomination that the original Pokemon games "run" on.

Fardragontbone1RaduzielProont
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,137
    IE > AE when it comes to playing them.

The AE has far too common out of sync actions/movements.
    If I try to run through a opening too small, my character will sometime appear to go right through it, only to spring back into place moments later.
    Or I can be in combat, take lethal damage, but stand around attacking for a another second or so before the game decides that I actually died.

Result: Every action I take in the AE feels like getting a troll to lie down in the old IE.

The AE's implementation of Attacks of Opportunity.
    - The 5-foot steps creatures taken in melee combat almost always results in the computer getting free AoO's by putting the player in a position where they cannot reach their target, causing them to run around triggering AoO's. There is no way to disable the players 5-foot steps or to switch their default from run to walk, while manually taking the 5-foot steps using the side-step keys risks disengaging, which is just as bad.
    - If two creatures run up to each other to initiate melee combat, one of them will almost always get an AoO against the other for no reason.

Result: I have to assume each enemy will get at least one undeserved AoO against me in every melee engagement, making the tumble skill an automatic selection.

sarevok57booinyoureyesRaduziel
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,041
    Aurora Engine
    Just the engine - AE hands down.

If you put what was created with them IE hands down.

ThacoBellBalrog99RaduzielProont
  • subtledoctorsubtledoctor Member Posts: 11,467
    edited February 2018
    CamDawg said:

Raduziel said:

For making stuff: AE. I'm quite the opposite of @sarevok57 here. I think that the IE is absurdly counterintuitive for modding and even reading online guides (like the Weidu readme) I often need to call for help to understand something. The opcodes sometimes works in obscure ways and I see a experienced modder being surprised by how Weidu works every now and then.

And I must add that all we have for modding IE was created by players who must have being through hell and high water to discover how things works. AE was shipped with an easy and intuitive point-and-click modding tool.

^^ This. The original modders deserve a ton of credit for the research that makes all of our new, easy to use tools possible. The IE was originally not designed to be modded, and I don't think a lot of people appreciate how mod-resistant it really is.
    Indeed. But the end result is amazing: basically a super user-friendly hex editor. It's really great for basic game tweaks - you can apply this or that "house rule" about thac0 progression, weapon enchantment, stack sizes, whatever. OTOH it's not good at all for creating new content.

Contrarily, when I tried to apply a basic rule tweak to NWN2* recently, I was completely stymied. All of the tools available are geared for making new content, and you can set various rules in new content, but it seems extremely difficult to play existing campaigns with a couple basic rule tweaks.

* NWN2, not NWN, because I play SP and NWN is utterly ill-suited to what I want out of a D&D game. But from what I've read the modding situation seems similar.

sarevok57tbone1
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 1,921
    Infinity Engine
    My dislike of the aurora engine is the 3D and DnD edition. As a result I never did any modding with it. I think the infinity engine is nowadays easy enough to mod with the current tools. I am sure that both engines suffer from difficult cases.

Anyway, what difference is therr between the two other than 3D and DnD edition? The coding language? No player needs to see that part.

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,162
    Infinity Engine
    I actually think that Temple of Elemental Evil had the best translation of the pen and paper game into video game form, especially with combat. Its so unfortunate that the overall story was only average, and that the engine had so many bugs. I still had a ton of fun playing it, and I wish more games incorporated that style of turn-based D&D combat.