booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

1. Infinity Engine v. Aurora Engine25 votes
    1. Aurora Engine
      32.00%
    2. Infinity Engine
      68.00%

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    That is a hard one... I am certainly better at the Infinity engine...
    semiticgoddess
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    I believe NWN's tagline was "Infinite Possibilities," and its true.
    tbone1ProontCvijeta
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    The infinity engine is TERRIBLE. The BG games are great in spite of it, not because of it. Honestly, the IE is probably the worst game engine I have ever seen except for the abomination that the original Pokemon games "run" on.
    Fardragontbone1RaduzielProont
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    IE > AE when it comes to playing them.

The AE has far too common out of sync actions/movements.
    If I try to run through a opening too small, my character will sometime appear to go right through it, only to spring back into place moments later.
    Or I can be in combat, take lethal damage, but stand around attacking for a another second or so before the game decides that I actually died.

Result: Every action I take in the AE feels like getting a troll to lie down in the old IE.

The AE's implementation of Attacks of Opportunity.
    - The 5-foot steps creatures taken in melee combat almost always results in the computer getting free AoO's by putting the player in a position where they cannot reach their target, causing them to run around triggering AoO's. There is no way to disable the players 5-foot steps or to switch their default from run to walk, while manually taking the 5-foot steps using the side-step keys risks disengaging, which is just as bad.
    - If two creatures run up to each other to initiate melee combat, one of them will almost always get an AoO against the other for no reason.

Result: I have to assume each enemy will get at least one undeserved AoO against me in every melee engagement, making the tumble skill an automatic selection.
    sarevok57booinyoureyesRaduziel
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Just the engine - AE hands down.

If you put what was created with them IE hands down.
    ThacoBellBalrog99RaduzielProont
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    sarevok57tbone1
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    My dislike of the aurora engine is the 3D and DnD edition. As a result I never did any modding with it. I think the infinity engine is nowadays easy enough to mod with the current tools. I am sure that both engines suffer from difficult cases.

Anyway, what difference is therr between the two other than 3D and DnD edition? The coding language? No player needs to see that part.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I actually think that Temple of Elemental Evil had the best translation of the pen and paper game into video game form, especially with combat. Its so unfortunate that the overall story was only average, and that the engine had so many bugs. I still had a ton of fun playing it, and I wish more games incorporated that style of turn-based D&D combat.