Skip to content

New versions of NearInfinity available

Comments

• _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    @AstroBryGuy Please, could you update the macOS version? A new version of NI is available -> v2.1-20171222
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    More labels:
    PRO file, Flags at 0xc:
    Unknown(7) = Loop Spread Animation (at 0x228), Infinite duration. If the projectile disables saving, this extends it indefinitely. If the projectile does not disable saving, the projectile is not saved (provided it has already triggered).

It's used by the Myconid BDSTINK.pro, with the Allow Saving Bit set. It's cast 'OnCreation()' by a reseting area trap, to create a permanent projectile area effect animation, while it uses another spell to deal the damage 'OnEntered()'.
    argent77Garvin77
  • Ok, here's the rundown.

I have the latest Java installed. I extracted the latest version of Near Infinity into my BG2EE root file. (I believe I do at least. I dragged the .jar file to the same directory my chitin.key file is located.

I open NI using Java as best as I can tell. Have also tried to open it as administrator.

I think I'm running Administrator rights on BG2EE. I also gave full control to Authenticated Users in case it wasn't opening as Admin. I don't know if this helps or not.

Ok, here's the problem: I can get NI to open, I can find the item I want to modify (Robe of Vecna. I LITERALLY only want to make this robe look like the archmage type 3. That's the only reason I'm torturing myself. But also think it's worth it... my fighter/mage needs a cosmetic upgrade), and change the appearance to 4w - Mage Robe 3.

I 'update value', and save. Which is allegedly does into my override folder. I can see WA2ROBE.ITM in the override folder. I also pulled RoV back up and confirm it is in fact showing the appearance of Mage Robe 3.

Then I assume all I have to do is pull up the game and it should be showing up on my PC. Well it's not. It's like the game (which is the steam downloaded version btw) is not pulling from my override folder.

I even tried deleting the override folder and creating a new one. No dice.

Please help, and keep in mind I am technologically inept! I'm surprised I made it as far as I did.

This is slowly killing me, and need assistance. Thanks in advance!!!

"Hey-ya"
  • Garvin77Garvin77 Member Posts: 52
    Umm... have you tried un-equipping and then re-equipping the robes? Or, perhaps, un-equipping, dropping, and finally picking-up and re-equipping them? Oftentimes in video-games, cosmetic/graphical changes, especially to equipment, won't update if the item is 'in use'. I'm sure you've tried this, just that you didn't mention it, so I thought I would put it out there... ;)
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    edited January 2018
    @NearInfiniteNoober Afaik, a fighter/mage uses the fighter animation for the character, which doesn't support robe overlays.

You could change the character avatar into a mage with Near Infinity or the debug console.

Using the debug console, enter the following code if your character is a male elf or half-elf. Replace '_MALE' by '_FEMALE' if your character is female. Replace '_ELF' by '_HUMAN' (for humans), '_DWARF' (for dwarves), '_GNOME' (for gnomes) or '_HALFORC' (for half-orcs).
    C:Eval('Polymorph(MAGE_MALE_ELF)')
    You have to place the mouse cursor over the portrait of the character you want to transform when you execute the command.

To change it in Near Infinity, select the BALDUR.GAM of your saved game and open the character structure of the party member you want to change (e.g. 'Party member 0' for the protagonist). Scroll down and open 'CRE resource', select the 'Animation' field and change the value to one of the examples mentioned above.

Edit: fixed typo.
    JuliusBorisov
  • That was the problem, argent! I didnt know that about the overlay.

Problem solved. Thanks so much!!

Do y'all know if there is a way to take the gray color off 'stoneskin'? Or at least have it only affect the face?
    JuliusBorisov
    I think that's hardcoded by the engine.
    AstroBryGuy
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    The only way I've found to have stoneskin protection without the overlay in the EE's is by setting the other stoneskin(golem version) stat through opcode 282, but doing it this way is non-decremental.
    As you know, the equipped appearance attribute of ninja-tos is S1 - Long sword and the equipped appearance attribute of wakizashis is SS - Short sword. -> Is it possible to creare a new animation for these weapons using this tool?
    Garvin77
    Luke93 said:

As you know, the equipped appearance attribute of ninja-tos is S1 - Long sword and the equipped appearance attribute of wakizashis is SS - Short sword. -> Is it possible to creare a new animation for these weapons using this tool?

It may be possible, but incredibly difficult to realize. You would have to create weapon animations for all kinds of races. Browse the WQ*.BAM files to get an idea what is involved.
  • Garvin77Garvin77 Member Posts: 52
    @Luke93: I certainly hope you manage to switch the animation files around! I'm a big stickler for correctness when it comes to medieval weapons, especially feudal (i.e. Samurai-era) Japanese weapons. Did you guys know that the word 'dai-katana' is completely made-up by westerners? The correct word for a single-edged (and usually curved), two-handed long-sword of Japanese make is 'katana', which westerners incorrectly attribute as a one-handed long-sword. As Luke93 pointed out, ninjāto (another interesting fact: Japanese does not distinguish between the singular, the plural, or any other similar kind of inflection) are far from being long-swords; they are, in fact, about halfway between a tantō (Japanese dagger, often carried by samurai as a backup weapon or a survival tool) and a wakizashi (Japanese short-sword, and, again, frequently used by samurai as a backup weapon; also used by samurai trainees before they're allowed to wield the all-mighty katana).
    argent77 said:

It may be possible, but incredibly difficult to realize. You would have to create weapon animations for all kinds of races. Browse the WQ*.BAM files to get an idea what is involved.

Yeah, it does sound pretty difficult. Let's keep it simple: what if I wanted to edit only their animation slots? How can I do this?
    edited February 2018
    That might work. But I think you are still required to create the necessary weapon animations (e.g. by duplicating sets of existing animation files). I can't help you much further though, as I've never done something like this before.
  • Well I have another problem, I'm hoping NI can help with.

I've lost Imoen. I'm near the end of Chapter 6 right before taking the lantern to the elf. I was doing Rasaad's NPC quest, and dropped Imoen for the lovable Wilson the Bear. Which was hilarious, btw.

She said she'd meet me back at the Copper Coronet if I needed her again.

So I finished the quest, and headed back to the CC to get the gang back together.

As soon as I walk through the door, I see a puff of smoke where she should be standing, and she's not there. I cast True Sight, Invisibility Purge and neither help. I checked NI for her location and she shows at that exact location.

I tried a few things in NI: moved her over a few pixels, nope. I tried putting her in the last position slot for InParty, nope.

I'm wondering if her having the Staff of Magi has anything to do with it (even though it shouldnt) but can't figure out a way to unequip and NPC through NI.

Any suggestions?

My last save point where she's in my party is 30+ game days back. I quick save A LOT, and will have to complete multiple quests to get back to where I am now. Which I'm willing to do if necessary, but a work around would be nice.
    It's certainly the Staff of the Magi, if she has it still equipped.

Let's try an easier option first. Enter the following command in the game's debug console:
    C:Eval('ActionOverride("Imoen2",DropInventory())')
    It should instruct Imoen to drop all of her items, including the staff.
    Garvin77
  • Worked perfectly. Thanks so much!!!
  • islandkingislandking Member Posts: 426
    edited February 2018
    @argent77
    Thanks for the continuous support!
    About "Added option to export WMP map as PNG, including selected overlays.", could you tell me where can I find the option, for when I click export, the viewer is still exporting the default map state.
    The option is somewhat hidden. You can find it in the context menu of the world map in the WMP viewer.
    Context menu:

Exported image:

• islandkingislandking Member Posts: 426
    edited February 2018
    @argent77
    Oh sorry, my bad, didn't notice it's the WMP map feature, thought it was about the .ARE viewer.
    Anyways, after some experimenting I ran into some display error about the travelling hour, my game was heavily modded so I'm not sure my case is valid, but here it is (the BG2 works fine though):

argent77

Anyways, after some experimenting I ran into some display error about the travelling hour, my game was heavily modded so I'm not sure my case is valid, but here it is (the BG2 works fine though):

Good catch! There is some mix up of referenced map entries if the world map doesn't list areas in alphabetical order. It'll be fixed in the next release.
    islandking
  • StarhowlStarhowl Member Posts: 39
    Is it only me or are there also other people encountering this with only 'AR0100.are'? Might have happened in my case maybe because my SSD was full and there was a data-corruption.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    @Starhowl Merged your post into here because @argent77 is the best person to be able to help you with this. Unfortunately, doing so got rid of the title of your thread. I take it when you access AR0100.are in Near Infinity it doesn't show up correctly?
    edited February 2018
    elminster said:

@Starhowl Merged your post into here because @argent77 is the best person to be able to help you with this. Unfortunately, doing so got rid of the title of your thread. I take it when you access AR0100.are in Near Infinity it doesn't show up correctly?

No. When searching a 'SAV'-file in 'Near Infinity', it throws the error of 'AR0100.are' having a 'corrupted header':

Post edited by Starhowl on
    elminster
    @Starhowl The message "incorrect header check" is a Java message indicating that the SAV file itself is corrupted. If it is still possible to decompress the SAV file, you can try to delete AR0100.ARE from the list and compress the SAV file again. Otherwise you're out of luck, I'm afraid.
    Garvin77
    argent77 said:

@Starhowl The message "incorrect header check" is a Java message indicating that the SAV file itself is corrupted. If it is still possible to decompress the SAV file, you can try to delete AR0100.ARE from the list and compress the SAV file again. Otherwise you're out of luck, I'm afraid.

How can I find out which of the many 'SAV'-files I've got are affected?
    Starhowl said:

argent77 said:

How can I find out which of the many 'SAV'-files I've got are affected?
    Probably only by selecting (and trying to decompress) each individual BALDUR.SAV in Near Infinity.
    Garvin77
  • Is there anyway to use Fighter HLAs with my DualClassed Fighter/Mage? I tried changing the High Level Ability Resource in the CRE of my save file... but no dice.

Screw Energy Blades, I want a Greater Whirlwind of flails!
    Garvin77

Is there anyway to use Fighter HLAs with my DualClassed Fighter/Mage? I tried changing the High Level Ability Resource in the CRE of my save file... but no dice.

Screw Energy Blades, I want a Greater Whirlwind of flails!

Maybe @subtledoctor knows?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.