Skip to content

NWN's "Did you know?"

2»

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264

Oh, and rangers and druids should ALWAYS complete SoU before going onto HoTU. In SoU there is a very powerful little item that allows you to bestow +1d6 fire damage and +1d6 cold damage to your animal companion once per day.

That item is actually in HotU by default as well. Look for it in the vines by the Fairy Queen in Undermountain. Also it adds 1d10 fire/cold damage (not 1d6), grants 10/- Fire/Cold damage resistance, 1 HP/round regeneration, and Haste. The duration is 1 turn/level.
  • DerpCityDerpCity Member, Moderator Posts: 303
    Jesus that item is strong. I can't believe I never found it. Would have made my druid's spider much stronger.
    edited February 2018
    I should note that, in regards to the Branch of Giving (the animal companion boosting item) the fire/cold damage it adds functions basically like physical damage for some reason. It does not bypass damage reduction but is unaffected by fire/cold damage resistance. Also note that it gives either 1d10 fire damage and 10/- fire resist OR 1d10 cold damage and 10/- cold resist but not both of those at the same time.

If you are looking for it in SoU it is in a shrub container just outside the Temple of the Winds area in Undrentide central, next to a group of beetles.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited February 2018
    I had no idea it was in HotU by default! Somehow, in all my plathroughs, I missed it each time.
  • jwwjww Member Posts: 34

You can farm XP in the OC prologue by running past all the enemies, getting the 2 levels up by talking to the old man and Fenthick, and then going back into the Academy and killing everything.

Using this method, a single-class wizard or sorcerer can usually hit level 4 (6000xp) by the end of the prologue. Other classes earn less xp, but it's still a nice little bonus.
    It is also obviously possible to grind on the endlessly regenerating vampires in Drearing's Deep.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited February 2018
    Certain encounters in the original campaign scale with level far more than others. Undead encounters in particular scale a lot. I often used to play the original campaign starting at level 10 (by importing a character from the Contest of Champions). The result is that the zombies in the Beggar's Nest are ALL replaced by Zombie Warriors, and the undead in Helm's Hold are replaced by worse things like Mohrgs. It was actually harder to get through the Beggar's Nest at level 10 than at level 3.

In addition, if you go into Karlat's chambers at a really high level, almost all of the enemies get replaced by Huge Fire Elementals (identical to the one you normally fight as a boss in the area).

In addition, if you go into Karlat's chambers at a really high level, almost all of the enemies get replaced by Huge Fire Elementals (identical to the one you normally fight as a boss in the area).

May as well kill Karlat himself while you are there too, as he is worth a hefty chunk of XP. Since he keeps respawning, though, they made all respawns worth almost no XP.

And if you decide not to use Belial's testimony in the case you can kill him too. It is really hard to do, but I have done it before...
    While you are possessing a familiar both your character and the familiar are granted immunity to mind spells.
    edited February 2018
    The "Invincible Golems" in the OC Chapter 3's Creater Ruins are not actually 100% invincible before you go back in time and introduce a weakness in them. They are vulnerable to anything that is not a spell that can damage them with Divine, Positive, Negative, or Magical damage. Here are several ways in which I have killed them in the past (not intended to be all inclusive):

Death Armor spell can hurt them when they hit you.
    Divine Favor and Battletide can give magical damage bonus to your weapons, which can hurt them.
    Aura vs. Alignment (either one) can hurt them when they hit you.
    Animal Companion empowered with Magic Fang can hurt them.
    Eyeball Familiar's Inflict Wounds ray can hurt them.

Note that if you kill the invincible golems first and then go back in time to introduce a weakness, another golem will appear and you can kill this one as well for even more XP!
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    edited March 2018
    DerpCity said:

This is definitely a bug, but I just learned that Gnomish Rangers can forego any of their Favored Enemies in order to take Greater Spell Focus: Illusion. I find it really amusing that this slipped testing. Guess no one wanted to play a gnomish ranger.

Did you know...

This is not exclusive to gnomes.

If you have any Spell Focus Feat and take first level ranger you will have access to Greater Spell Focus of the chosen school.

This also can be done any time you get to select a favourite enemy (every 5 levels of ranger). You can choose GSF instead.

If you do this while reaching epic levels, the favourite enemy bonus feat can be an epic feats like Epic Prowess, Epic Weapon Focus, Epic Spell Focus or Epic Toughness.
    Post edited by deltago on
  • DerpCityDerpCity Member, Moderator Posts: 303
    Something in a similar vein to what Tresset said, if you cast Magic Fang on your badger, it gets 1/+1 damage reduction. Greater Magic Fang works similarly, giving your creature from 2/+2 damage reduction up to 5/+5 damage reduction, equal to the damage and attack bonus it grants. I don't actually know if its the spell itself that does this or something related to how creature weapons work, but it's pretty neat.
    edited June 2018
    @DerpCity The Magic Fang spells also give the damage reduction bonus because of what I stated above. This is stated in the script that runs the magic fang spells:

"+1 enhancement bonus to attack and damage rolls.
    Also applys damage reduction +1; this allows the creature
    to strike creatures with +1 damage reduction.
    "
  • ArtosArtos Member Posts: 16
    If you look really closely at the belt buckle of a hill giant, it says "TEXAS"
    @OlvynChuru The Duergar merchant "Ragpicker" in Drearings Deep also has an insanely good rate. I tend to use her instead since she doesn't go away once you finish the quest in the area.

By the way, both these merchants, as well as a few in chapter 3 of HotU, will buy stuff from you at a higher price than it costs to buy the same item back from them. Thus you can get infinite gold by simply buying and selling the same items repeatedly to them, so long as they are paying full price for said items.
  • XorinaXorina Member Posts: 138
    tbone1 wrote: »
    He’s not stuffed, he’s pining for the fjords.

Very droll, sire...
  • XorinaXorina Member Posts: 138
    MrDamage wrote: »
    As far as I know, I was the first person to leave graffiti on a PW. It was on the old LOTR pw that used to allow local characters. I made a note(item) in my toolset and named it ‘I was here’ and duplicated a bunch of them then picked them all up and saved my character then logged in. When I dropped these in the PW and someone moused over the loot bag, it would say ‘I was here’. The note itself said
    Notice
    If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice isn’t worth noticing.

I dropped a few of these on my journeys then all of a sudden the rest were all gone from my inventory lol. The DM’s must of had a laugh and just confiscated them. I didn’t get booted or anything like that lol. Kudos and hi if by some miracle anybody reading this saw/ remembers this.
    It was MEEEE!

Hahahaha you crafty devil.
  • CerabelusCerabelus Member Posts: 385
    Speaking of HOTU I was interested in Enserric the Grey trapped in the Longsword.

You can get him in Chapter 1 and in Chapter 2 you can talk to him about getting him out of the sword.

He guesses that a "well made golem" could serve to house his soul, an optional area called "Isle of the Maker" which just so happens to have some very well made golems on hand and if your a Sorcerer or Wizard you can collect parts and make a golem..hmm.

Unfortunately there didn't seem to be a way to put him in the golem and I was incredibly disappointed about that, I wanted a Golem\Wizard companion.

I wanted an epilogue where Enserric the Golem traveled with you for a time but he felt the need to seek out what remains of his family and try to reclaim his memories he lost while in the blade.
  • rashkaerashkae Member Posts: 179
    There is a clear bug in HotU with the Romances when Aribeth comments on the Mimic. Her Romance is suppsosed to be set to 1, (and will have the option to be increased to 2 when leaving Hell.). If you fix this, there is an extra final dialogue at the end to resolve the conflict between Aribeth and Nathyrra,, which includes a 3-way route for charismatic PC.

Now that NWN:EE had a Development folder, it's possible to install a fix for this script without having to patch the actual modules. Unzip these files into your Documents\Neverwinter Nights\development folder: