Skip to content

[MOD] Golem Construction for Spellcasters

Comments

• Necromanx2Necromanx2 Member Posts: 1,246
    Thanks!
    edited January 2018
    @argent77, just went to install the DEV version to get the Asylum fix and I notice there is no exe in the file. Should I use the last exe but replace the files in the folder with those from DEV?
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    Yes, you can use the exe from the stable version, or any setup-*.exe file from a mod renamed to "setup-A7-GolemConstruction.exe".
    The DEV version worked well. Just did the asylum and my golems where not pounded on by the one in the room. Thanks for the fix!!
    argent77
  • zelurkerzelurker Member Posts: 168
    I installed the mod shortly after starting a new game instead of before starting a new game, assuming that it wouldn't affect stores I hadn't visited yet. But now I am wondering if I missed some stuff...
    So far the only store which sold some golem parts was a spell seller upstairs in the adventurer shop in athkatla. I didn't find any golem tome in any shop so far, but I found 3 golem tomes in the game : the stone one, bone one, and worm one, all during some quests.
    So did I miss something ?
    You'll likely miss some components in Chateau Irenicus. Apart from that you should be fine. You may come across tomes in stores later in the game.
    lolien
    Thanks ! :)
    lolien
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Does the golem mod need to be installed before or after Spell Revisions? Or does it matter and check for the updated slow/haste spells regardless of installation order?
    The Golem Construction mod should be installed after Spell Revision, so that it will consider the changes made by SR.
    Zaghoul
    edited March 2018
    How do you fight a magic golem ? It's 100% resistant to everything !
    I tried to use the bannish golem spirit spell of course but he succeeded his spell save, twice.
    I tried the 3rd level deliver from magic spell, it didn't have any effect.
    I avoided the 2 who were in the watch tower because I suspected they were very hard to fight, I was clearly right. But the 1 in Yaga Shura home can't be avoided and that's a problem... !

edit : I passed it using an invisibility potion but still it would be nice to know how to fight these things...
    edit 2 : by using some non magical weapons, that explains why there are so many non magical weapons in this level ! Ok... !
    Post edited by zelurker on
    @zelurker, those are vanilla golems as well and not anything argent77 did.
    lolien
  • GwendolyneGwendolyne Member Posts: 461
    Elminster's Ecologies: Appendix IIIa ;)

This time-worn tome is written by the sage Elminster, and apparently part of a much larger body of work containing detailed studies of most of the strange creatures from around Faerun.

The appendix seems to refer to newly-discovered variations on normal breeds of creatures. Of particular interest:

"Dense Puddings - a relative of the slimes and molds, this pudding is relatively normal...except when exposed to electricity or fire. When this occurs, it splits into new puddings and can therefore be very dangerous."

"Fire Trolls - a new form of troll thought to have been created by sorcerous Fire Giants for use as servants and guards. They are similar to regular trolls in most respects except for their lava-temperature skin and burning touch. Once they are defeated, they can only be permanently killed by cold or acid."

"Fission Slime - an off-shoot of the slimes and molds, this particular slime will split into new and independent creatures when hit. It is vulnerable to fire, which will kill it permanently."

"Magic Golems - this rare type of golem is formed from pure magical energy and is completely immune to spellcraft as well as enchanted weapons. To my knowledge, only weapons without enchantments have any effects on this creature."

"Marileths - while this is apparently a legitimate form of demon, it is one that only an exceptional few have encountered and survived. The Marileth is a six-armed demon with a human female front half and the back half of a snake. She is incredibly quick and deadly, and on top of her martial prowess with six swords, she casts spells as well. Fighters should beware: in addition to being immune to normal weapons and minor enchantments, this demon also likes to cast Immunity to Magic Weapons...which must be dispelled if a fighter is to have any chance with his armaments."

lolien
    Yeah, only non-enchanted weapons are effective against magic golems. The spell "Banish Golem Spirit" may destroy it as well, but only on a failed save. Otherwise it will only do some small damage or make the golem go berserk.
    lolien
    @Gwendolyne : congratulations, I thought the book talked only about "puddings" !
    Ok thanks everyone, sorry ! :)
    lolien
    edited April 2018
    @argent77, I have a Mage (13 lvl), Cleric (20 lvl) dual class and I can only build a clay golem as lesser. So it is only looking at the Mage levels. Can it look at the Cleric levels when it is greater for clay golems?
    Post edited by Necromanx2 on
    argent77

@argent77, I have a Mage (13 lvl), Cleric (20 lvl) dual class and I can only build a clay golem as lesser. So it is only looking at the Mage levels. Can it look at the Cleric levels when it is greater for clay golems?

It looks like I didn't cover this class combination in the golem creation dialog. I will fix it in the next release.
    lolien
    @Necromanx2 I have put together a small mod that fixes the construction dialog for clerics. Simply install it on top of your current mod installation.
    bob_venglolien
    edited April 2018
    Does this work on an existing game? I installed and loaded my game, but I still can't do the regular clay golem.

EDIT: Once I left the planar sphere and then went back in it worked (my save was in the sphere). Thanks for this!!
    Post edited by Necromanx2 on
    lolien
    @argent77, did the cleric level fix undo the passive golem fix in the asylum? My clay golem fought the stone golem before I could get to him (thankfully he won). It looks like the clay golem ran into the room and started the fight given the positions I found them.
    Which mod version have you installed? The "passive golems" fix is currently only available in the DEV version of the mod.
    I have the DEV version installed and I added the cleric clay golem fix on top of it.
  • CashewCashew Member Posts: 13
    where can we build a golem? is it only in the planar sphere?
    @Necromanx2 The dialog fix shouldn't have any effect on the golem behavior in Spellhold. I'll make another test run when patch 2.5 for BG2EE is out.

@Cashew There are several more locations available in SoA where you can construct golems. Some of them depend on certain conditions though. All workshops are listed in the file "golem_information.txt". You can find it in the mod's readme folder.
    lolien
  • CashewCashew Member Posts: 13
    thanks @argent77
    lolien
    @argent77, if I have multiple party members who can create golems and my main character is one of them, I am unable to get my other characters to create a golem.

My main character is a 13 lvl Mage / 28 lvl cleric. I have Ninde as a 24 lvl Necromancer and I pick her so I can create a perfect stone golem. Every time I select her, it changes to me during the preparation process and I can only build golems the main character can make.
    @Necromanx2 I can't reproduce this issue on my installation. The caster of the "Construct Golem" ability is always the target of the construction process.

Maybe there is a specific condition involved. Where are you trying to build golems? Is your target character somehow disabled (e.g. silenced)? And can you upload a save?
    It is in the planar sphere and the second level of watchers keep. She is not silenced.

Playing around more, it could be that it is a mod NPC Ninde. Jan is fine.
    @Necromanx2 Thanks, but I need the actual save files to see what's going on.

Could you zip the whole save folder (000001234-save-name) and attach it? You can use NI for that if you want (right-click on save folder and select "Create zip archive").
    Here you go
    The uploaded save worked fine on my installation. I could instruct Ninde to create a lesser iron golem. The protagonist was able to create a perfect clay golem and Jan was able to build a greater stone golem. I couldn't find any suspicious items or spell effects that may have interfered with the construction process.

In your save Ninde has learned to build flesh, iron and magic golems. Dialog options for all of them were available in her construction dialog. The protagonist has learned to build flesh, clay and maggot golems. All of them were recognized by the construction dialog. Only Jan was able to construct stone golems (along with flesh, clay and brain golems), since he was apparently the only one who had learned how to build them.

Each golem tome can only instruct a single character how to build golems of the given type. If Jan used a tome about constructing stone golems, then he will be the only one able to build them.