Skip to content

How much gold does it have to be before you pick it up?

Gold can be pretty abundant in the BG series, if you know where to look. So it can seem like a hassle to even click the mouse to bother to pick it up.

How much gold does it have to be before you pick it up?

Comments

• cloudkillbeatsallcloudkillbeatsall Member Posts: 98
    I always pick it up. The hassle for me is picking up low value gems. I even leave gold on the floor because I don't think it's worth enough to sell it.
  • alastair93alastair93 Member Posts: 117
    Oh yeah? I don't get out of bed for anything less than a Star Diopside Gem.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    I think I have OCD when it comes to even the change purses of kobolds, gotta pick it up. ;)B) Especially when I am trying a new mod that might have something extra. And extra's, no matter what they are, are always a nice surprise.
  • cloudkillbeatsallcloudkillbeatsall Member Posts: 98
    Is that so? Well, I'm a real player. I only pick up things like emeralds, diamonds, Laeral's Tear Necklaces and Star Sapphires. Anything else is small cheese to me.
  • alastair93alastair93 Member Posts: 117
    When I get a Laeral's Tear Necklace I feel like I've just won the lottery, even though I'm swimming in 20,000 blood money from Ankhegs.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited March 2018
    At least 1% of our total supply.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    I'm so pathetic I even have memorized which barrels and boxes contain gold and grab all of it every time. I usually have upwards of 30,000 gp when I finally make it to Baldurs Gate but I still have to raid that barrel containing 6 gp!
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I only don't pick up unenchanted wearables unless they are better than I currently wear.
    My pockets are deep.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    I keep a rough mental tally of all the treasure, including sellable equipment, being dropped and use the add gold cheat to get about half their value every so often. An auto-selling genie scrap merchant follows charname about!
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    If I've got something in mind to buy I pick up everything. Otherwise I pick up nothing.
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    Any gold that's available gets collected. It's the only thing you can find that will never be part of the inventory micromanagement. How could you possibly be too lazy to add it to your ever growing heap of wealth?
    That said, I don't go picking up stuff in cities, unless they are so valuable that I can't trust the people to not do something stupid with them. Like the Helm of Balduran. It's got spikes. They might hurt themselves on those. Better to remove the threat from the reach of their clumsy fingers.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I usually leave armor and weapons after the early days, except in IWD I realize I run out of cash a lot faster than in the BG games.

I always pick up gold.

Gold is shiny. Imoen can't resist shiny.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I always pick up gold regardless of the amount. What does it hurt? It doesn't add to your weight and there is always some high priced item looking to be bought. Every bit helps.

I pick up any non magical weapons leaving two or three spare ones in my inventory until I get magical ones. I've had too many weapons break at the worst time that not having a spare is dangerous.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Errr, quick loot button? oh lawd... Thanks to @ThacoBell and @Rik_Kirtaniya mentioning it here, I think I have another thread to visit, like, right now. ;)
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/47682/0/#Form_Comment
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    edited March 2018
    I have a several magic bags, so I can pick up short swords from kobolds and xvarts, for selling. I also try to find a merchant with no short swords in stock, because they pay less the more of a stock they already have. Deal with it B)

edit: Also, before I send a companion I no longer want in the party packing, I always pickpocket the local merchant for gear that matches my companions skills and abilities, then pawn their original stuff. To the very same merchant! He is like a sponsor, see?
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    well since i play gold piece runs when i play bg1 every gold piece must be picked up, and usually the time i hit BG the city without exploits or farming or without going to durlag's tower yet, i usually hit around 200 000 GP the time i get there
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    WWWD?

That is 'What Would Waukeen Do?'

Remember guys, by the time of BG & BG2, Waukeen has mysteriously vanished. Somebody's gotta pick up that Kobold gold, and if Waukeen isn't around to do it, well... I guess I'm just gonna have to do it myself!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Anything less than 10 I probably wouldn't bother with.

Consequently over the years I've left many dungeons filled with the swords and armor of those that challenged me.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited March 2018
    25 or above in BG1 (or any other IE game). 50 or above in BG2. Won't even think about it otherwise. Don't ask me why I have those arbitrary values.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Doesn't matter how much or how little it is, I just love the sound it makes when you pick it up. My favorite thing is scorching a pack of gibberlings with a fireball and then picking up the little piles of gold all at once via quickloot. :blush: