Skip to content

Who Was Your First Character?

2»

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Those could just be her hips. She doesn't even seem to have any real belly fat. She could just be muscular/stout. Wow, okay. I'm stop overanalyzing a single panel of a funny comic.
    Balrog99semiticgoddessProont
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    If we want to talk about her proportions, perhaps we could criticize her for her gigantic eyes, which are more than 50% wider across than her mouth. Or her feet, which are only an inch longer than her ankles.

Speaking of which, has anyone noticed the unrealistic body standard set by the average stick person?

Don't even get me started on the lack of racial diversity in stick figures.
    Balrog99ThacoBellProont
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366

If we want to talk about her proportions, perhaps we could criticize her for her gigantic eyes, which are more than 50% wider across than her mouth. Or her feet, which are only an inch longer than her ankles.

Speaking of which, has anyone noticed the unrealistic body standard set by the average stick person?

Whatever do you mean? Stick people are the ubermensch! No skin color, no boobs, no difference in eyes, they don't wear fancy clothes, no hair, no tattoos, no piercings, they're not over or underweight (by their standards anyway), their facial expressions never change (which means they must be contented, right?), and their heads are huge compared to their bodies which means they must be highly intelligent. We should all aspire to be stick people!
    semiticgoddessThacoBellProontMirandel
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    My first character was in BG1. It was a paladin (no kits then) with proficiency in “Large Swords”.
    ThacoBellGusindaProont
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    edited February 2018
    tbone1 said:

My first character was in BG1. It was a paladin (no kits then) with proficiency in “Large Swords”.

I hated my first paladin run in BG1. I chose large swords too. Two handed swords were expensive and they kept #&÷$ing breaking on me!
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Balrog99 said:

Whatever do you mean? Stick people are the ubermensch! No skin color, no boobs, no difference in eyes, they don't wear fancy clothes, no hair, no tattoos, no piercings, they're not over or underweight (by their standards anyway), their facial expressions never change (which means they must be contented, right?), and their heads are huge compared to their bodies which means they must be highly intelligent. We should all aspire to be stick people!
    Rich Burlew says hello.
    Proont
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    Paladin for BG and Druid for IWD. That happened, I played IWD first, so, though still consider my Druid the "main" and "first" I cared about each party member and technically each of them was "the first".

After IWD it took me some time to grasp the idea in BG1 of not created but "collected" party, that was quite irritating. I found out that Paladin made the pain easier when not enough companions were available, and for some time after that I considered party without a paladin not strong enough.
    Balrog99sarevok57GusindaProont
  • alastair93alastair93 Member Posts: 117
    Started with a generalist Mage at around the age of 14. Went into the circus, heard from Aerie that there were illusions everywhere, used Detect Illusion spell--as was logical to my mind--and was very miffed that the tent didn't disappear.
    tbone1GusindaProont
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    TBH, I'll be dawged if I can even remember. ;) PnP I can, but I think it's do to the fact that the D&D game was so new to me back, err, 35+ years ago, it was hard to forget. A human mage and a H/Elf F/C. The fighter cleric put on a helm of alignment change and eventually killed everyone else off at a point when the group was severely wounded when running through the series of Against the Slave Lords campaign modules.

I think it was an H/Elf avenger I first finished the series with, then a gnome shadowdancer. The gnome stayed on the good path and the avenger went the evil path after the Hell Trials.
    MirandelThacoBellGusindaProont
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Sam_ said:

BG1 The Original Sega (although possibly ToSC).

Bilbow Baggins a dwarven fighter (I was very young...).

interesting, i always thought genesis was the original sega ;)
    Gusinda
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited March 2018
    PnP: Raduziel, a Human Illusionist. Killed by a critical hit from an ogre's halberd that unfortunately hit me instead of one of my Mirror Images. Replaced by Raduziel, a Half-Orc Fighter/Thief that survived through Ravenloft and found his way back home to Mystara. He is the one that tackled a lich.

I love Ravenloft. I hate Mystara.

BG1: Raduziel, a Human Fighter - killed by Tarnesh. Finished the game next with Raduziel, the Elf Ranger. Kitted all my way through the game.

Fun fact: For a long time I hated Kivan for "stealing my idea". I was a sponsored child.

BG2: Raduziel, a Human Sorcerer. Chain Contingency + AHW (enemy sighted) and rest abuse led me all the way to Hell.

Fun fact: I never actually ended the saga, as I can't stand ToB. My next run I'll try it with Ascension.
    Post edited by Raduziel on
    GusindaZaghoulProont
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    @Raduziel Ascension is a good addition to your mod setup, but don't forget about Wheels of Prophecy.

Of course, even with those two mods, ToB is for a large part long corridors of hostiles that you need to kill and kill and kill and kill. Sometimes the corridor is desert. Sometimes the hostiles are spiders. But that doesn't change the nature of things. I tend to abandon my games in ToB too.
    semiticgoddessRaduziel
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    This thread made me feel so nostalgic I re-created my beloved Druidess for the full trilogy run!
    sarevok57tbone1ZaghoulGusinda
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

@Raduziel Ascension is a good addition to your mod setup, but don't forget about Wheels of Prophecy.

Of course, even with those two mods, ToB is for a large part long corridors of hostiles that you need to kill and kill and kill and kill. Sometimes the corridor is desert. Sometimes the hostiles are spiders. But that doesn't change the nature of things. I tend to abandon my games in ToB too.

What exactly does Wheels of Prophecy do? The impression I get from the readme is that it just allows you to change the order of certain events. Am I missing something?
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    WoP goes some way in creating the illusion of free will in ToB. What you do is still essentially the same (besides that extra confrontation with Melissan and the return to the grove), but the railroad tracks are less obvious.
    ThacoBellProont
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882

I find ToB acceptable but the 4-stage melissan is something I detest as a soloer
    semiticgoddessProont
  • Cabal82Cabal82 Member Posts: 76
    Generalist mage, male half elf chaotic good. Cabal was is name (and this is still my name for all charnames so far), in fact full name was Cabal Gorion ( second used as surname). Ajantis, Khalid, Jaheira, Kivan and Imoen. I used Xans portrait for him, so when I saved Xan for the first time, his secondary portrait was kinda funny for me. That was back in 1999, and I was 16 years old and loved the game from first seconds...
    sarevok57GusindaProont
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Mirandel said:

This thread made me feel so nostalgic I re-created my beloved Druidess for the full trilogy run!

Yeah, it’s got me thinking about another Cavalier run.
    MirandelGusindaProont
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    My first BG1 character was an elven fighter named Juleska (might sound familiar) two pips in bows and large swords. Probably would have been a great first-time character to use...if he didn't die in a half-ogre ambush on the way to the Friendly Arm Inn.

My first BG2 character was a human Kensai named Damian with Grandmastery in Katanas. All I knew of BG2 were the class descriptions I was reading and so this one felt like it had lots of potential. Using no guides, I went all the way to the last fight with Irenicus never knowing of Celestial Fury. I really started to regret my weapon choice further in but the class itself was good enough to get me through.

sarevok57ThacoBellGusindaProont
  • Joan_DaroJoan_Daro Member Posts: 112
    My very first character should be a female sorcerer whose name I couldn't remember. She only made it so far as reaching the friendly arms and then killed by Tarnesh, multiple times, before I deleted the game from my iPhone 4.
    My second character is a mage/thief, because I read a little about the game and thought that an actual mage should be able to make scrolls and potions, so in order to make that ideal mage in my mind I made a mage/thief.
    She was killed by the spiders in Beregost.
    Then years passed and I finally installed BG on my computer instead of having to use a terribly small touch screen, I made a male necromancer named Joskane who made his way to the throne of Bhaal, along with multiple mages: Xan, Edwin, Xzar in BG1 and Imone in BG2, a healer (Viconia), a thief to unlock the doors (Yoshimo), and a paladin (Ajantis/Keldorn).
    Joskane tried to romance Viconia but she died in the Underdark and we failed to find a temple before we reach chapter 6. After we finally revived her the relationship was apparently doomed, for the whole Bodhi encounter was skipped.
    I loved the spell-casting system of the game before I actually learned to use it. That's why I played a party full of mages. I started a new game in the enhanced edition right after Joskane ascended, paused the game, read through the player's handbook, and realized that if I want to play a party with more than 3 mages and let everyone do their f**king job instead of throwing mmms there's going to be an awfully lot of pausing. So I decided to keep a smaller party, which ended up consists of only 2 people: Charname and Dorn Il-Khan.
    My charname was a cleric->mage, for Nec is out of question because necromancers can't use project images, but still I want to look like a necromancer, and the priest's skeleton warriors comes in handy. I didn't want to give up too many mage HLAs and 8th/9th slots so I dualed at Cleric 15.
    So basically my charname can do a mage's job and a healer's job, locks can be knocked and traps can be countered by mirror images, and the skeletons do good physical damage. I just have to reach mage lvl16 first.
    Fewer partners = more exp. I wanted to play the new EE characters, Rasaad dates girls, Hexxat dates girls, and I certainly don't want another mage because that means charname has to be on front but he has 12 str, so... Dorn Il-Khan. I changed his portrait (don't laugh) and headed down the bloody path.
    (Turned out I *LOVE* Dorn. Best character ever. Even with his original portrait and epilogues. )
    Gusindasarevok57ProontEmpyrial
  • InKalInKal Member Posts: 196
    year was 1999 or 2000 or 2001, can't remember

I knew absolute total jackshit about Gygax, D&D, AD&D, rules, saving throws, thac0, pnp (still don't know anything), RPGees, them spells, game mechanix, magics, cheese, bioware, NPC, romances and computer games in general.

I bought my first pc (duron 900Mhz LOL) and started playing my first game and I choose BG2/ToB because I read about it and it was like OMG!! The second best thing since sliced bread!

I started playing BG2 and I hated it. I hated its guts. For two simple reasons:

1) Everytime the fight starts I have absolutely no idea what is going on

and

2) I am always stunned and/or charmed.

so I herd Inquisitor is immune to hold and charm. and that was it! That was the exact moment when my real adventure with BG2 started.
    so, my first protagonist and I remember this guy was:

1) Paladin
    2) Inqusitor
    3) Intelligence 3
    4) Name Fafik

HEHEHEHEehehe, tactics:

actually didn't use dispel even once

drink healing potions and Carsomyr+GWW everything to death. Worked like a charm!

EmpyrialGusindaProontUnderstandMouseMagic