Skip to content

Best possible character build?

15678911»

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited February 2018

In the case of Belhifet on LoB mode, the best bet for a solo sorcerer is to use a LOT of kiting with Lower Resistance and LOTS of Wand of Frost charges to gradually grind him down, probably using the Greenstone Amulet to avoid fear effects and Potions of Invisibility to buy some time from the archers (though Belhifet himself can still see through it).

By the way: after some thought, I don't think this is actually possible. Even if you somehow kept Belhifet's magic resistance at zero the whole fight, the Wand of Frost will only do 7 damage on average to Belhifet, which amounts to a net 5 damage per round considering his regeneration. It would take well over 200 rounds to kill him this way in Legacy of Bhaal mode, and while you can certainly get that many Wand of Frost charges, you couldn't realistically survive that long since Belhifet summons demons every 3 rounds and the entire map would be packed with so many demons that no one could move.
    Victor_Creed_SFVKlorox
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    FredB said:

-Bounty Hunter. This guy is way too strong and going through a lot of forums, I don't think people have tried to play him that much. Beside the awesome HLA such as UAI and spike traps, you can use their special traps from a distance while your team is battleing and crowd control everything with Maze. It might get annoying when you just want to kill the bastard and he keeps disapearing, but life could be worst.

Curious: don’t all thieves get access to the special traps at high levels? Or do bounty hunters get their own special traps as a bonus? Also, do bounty hunters remain the only class that can set traps at range?

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Klorox: All thieves get Set Snare and the HLA traps, Spike Trap, Exploding Trap, and Time Trap, but only Bounty Hunters can use Set Special Snare, which slows the target from levels 1-10, holds the target from levels 11-15, traps the target in a Resilient Sphere from levels 16-20, and Mazes the target (which bypasses magic resistance) at level 21 and after. The level 1-15 Special Snares also deal 3d8+10 damage instead of a normal trap's 2d8+5 damage, though the Resilient Sphere and Maze traps deal no damage at all.

Special Snares are the only trap that can be set at range.
    StummvonBordwehrKloroxAerakar
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894

@Klorox: All thieves get Set Snare and the HLA traps, Spike Trap, Exploding Trap, and Time Trap, but only Bounty Hunters can use Set Special Snare, which slows the target from levels 1-10, holds the target from levels 11-15, traps the target in a Resilient Sphere from levels 16-20, and Mazes the target (which bypasses magic resistance) at level 21 and after. The level 1-15 Special Snares also deal 3d8+10 damage instead of a normal trap's 2d8+5 damage, though the Resilient Sphere and Maze traps deal no damage at all.

This sounds awesome and makes me want to try a bounty hunter protagonist. Thank you.
    Aerakar
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited March 2018

Ah, so a bountyhunter really shines in BG2. The only bountyhunter I ever played was a BG1 character. So maybe dust her off sometime, but right now I got 6 BG2 campaigns running, so she'll have to wait.
    Grond0Aerakar
  • TheodreadTheodread Member Posts: 10
    These are my personal top five builds:
    https://www.gamersdecide.com/articles/baldurs-gate-2-best-builds

Cheers.
  • xler3xler3 Member Posts: 3
    If you read the guy's comment, you understand that what matters is simply the number of spells you can cast (and lvls, ofc).
    That's why Sorc > DD.
    That AC bonus is basically useless, CON doesn't matter after 16 and a Sorc can reach 100% fire res with a finger snap.
    It has its role-play charm tho'.

Edit: later or tomorrow I'll post you a list of the spells with which you can easily solo the game.

-5 AC is absolutely not useless. check out your AC with SoA best-in-slot loot, spirit armor/blur not to mention improved invis. dd is a legitimate tank. just opened up a chapter 4 save and im looking at -14 AC on the character screen but its effectively -18 AC with improved invisibility. sure that doesnt cut it for ToB... but Balors need to crit to hit you.

yea its easy to go immune to fire but innate fire immunity is unbelievably convenient.

+2 CON isn't really a big deal but it allows you to wear the claw of kazgaroth, take the -1 con hit in the spellhold dream, and play an elf without having to deal with any downsides (of the claw of kazgaroth)... guess it doesnt matter if you grab the tome of con.

breath weapon is actually kinda underrated from what ive seen on the bg forums. for example, PI+Simulacrum+double breath kills kangaxx the demi lich from full HP easy. it bypasses all spell protections and magic resistance. bypasses everything except straight up fire resistance. its legitimately good.

but all that pales in comparison to +50% HP.

as for the downside of 1 fewer spell cast... i suppose its inconvenient but fact is.... when are you rest blocked in this game? you certainly aren't rest blocked in BG1. and dont you have basically infinite spells once you get 14 (project image)? not to mention wish or simulacrum.

if you're playing a no-reload then i cant see why you'd go plain sorc over dragon disciple.

sorry for the necro