Skip to content

Nwn comes out of beta March 27?

StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
edited March 2018 in General Discussions NWN:EE
How enough changes been implemented to consider it “enhanced” enough?
Also, I find it odd to release it without modules/campaigns that emphasize the changes.
I have no opinion other than that.
Cablefish

Comments

• SkipBittmanSkipBittman Member Posts: 146
    Yeah, they are going to get flayed alive in reviews without some of those new assets in there. Even tho they will be wrong, there's going to be a lot of "what's so enhanced? The original works just fine blah blah blah blah" because most buyers won't be watching every stream and reading all the threads... Should've kept it in head start until summer or somesuch...
    CablefishKaosWarMonk
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    We'll just have to wait and see, among a number of potentially bad decisions. It's usually better to let ppl make their mistakes, if it goes well it wasn't a mistake, if it goes poorly then it's a learning experience. I don't have any info on it but I imagine their development budget could be a reason they want to release now rather than later.
    edited March 2018
    Yeah, it's probably down to obvious cash reasons and the extent of the remodeling project will be determined by how that goes. It's all well and good to complain but all this stuff costs money -- what a tough balancing act. All I really want is the UI rework and a way to get way better models in there so modders can go crazy. Everything else is cake.

Making multiplayer much easier to do and getting it on Steam will go a long way towards bringing people in, but they have to be loud about announcing new content on the way.
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992

We'll just have to wait and see, among a number of potentially bad decisions. It's usually better to let ppl make their mistakes, if it goes well it wasn't a mistake, if it goes poorly then it's a learning experience. I don't have any info on it but I imagine their development budget could be a reason they want to release now rather than later.

And now I am even more paranoid than before. Development budget? Has the money run out already?
  • zordren3742zordren3742 Member Posts: 207
    edited October 2019
    Post edited by zordren3742 on
  • StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    I may agree with all of you. I just don’t get it.
    edited October 2019
    They did say in a stream a few months ago that they only wanted to release it when it was polished because they didn’t want the reviews to crucify them.
    Well they are diversifying their original development focus radically, committing to several things they said they wouldn't, so I would see that as a fairly logical reason for development costs going up. If it is to increase revenue stream to fund development then I imagine regular premium modules will be the next thing sign.
    edited October 2019
    KaosWarMonkCablefishRifleLeroy
    edited October 2019
    CablefishWarChiefZeke
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

Man I Don't want to jump the gun and be the bad guy,But I'm getting a bad feeling.the new content looks good, it does. But there is still A LOT of stuff on those trello boards.

Just because it is on the Trello board doesn't mean it is going to be implemented into the game.
    Atrophiederic
    deltago said:

Man I Don't want to jump the gun and be the bad guy,But I'm getting a bad feeling.the new content looks good, it does. But there is still A LOT of stuff on those trello boards.

Just because it is on the Trello board doesn't mean it is going to be implemented into the game.
    Do you feel that it is good enough for game reviews at this point in time without “might as well buy the platinum edition off of gog”.
    Look, I am doing my best to put a positive spin on this, but without new assets, better henchmen ai, or module, I am having a hard time believe this is the polished product that they talked about a few weeks ago.
    Cablefishsarevok57
  • HimmelweissHimmelweiss Member Posts: 72
    edited March 2018
    cost is an issue?
    use kickstarter...

But releasing NWN:EE now, this month, would be way way too early.

I hope they were fooling us and they actually meant 27 March 2019.
    CablefishZwerkules
    edited March 2018
    It would be smart to ship it with a very small but tasty test module showing off all the new assets and effects, along with a teaser trailer with the new assets and titles of a few upcoming premium modules, underline that more work will continue and list the major features you are committing to. Hopefully they've been whipping up more assets ready to pop on workshop later this month with the same quality as today's hall of justice. Stress that multiplayer is back and blast through a series of PW shots and the blessed toolkit. Really make a thing of all the modules and online stuff so people just don't stick to the OC and then give up if turned off by it.

Speaking of -- Rename OC to The Wailing Death and put it underneath SoU and HotD so that isn't the first taste, unless the new assets ready are built around that. In which case, gesture. And go with Oster's edits. It IS horribly padded out and paced.

Since the UI rework is a longer term thing, can some cludgy hack be done for launch for an option to move the conversation window over? On wide and ultrawide it's going to get some serious dings in reviews despite how nice everything else looks. Especially at 4k.

Also, hire me and my team to replace all the terrible postage stamp animation videos with some painterly flair or remaster those from any sources found.
    voidofopinion
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Staran said:

deltago said:

Do you feel that it is good enough for game reviews at this point in time without “might as well buy the platinum edition off of gog”.
    Look, I am doing my best to put a positive spin on this, but without new assets, better henchmen ai, or module, I am having a hard time believe this is the polished product that they talked about a few weeks ago.
    Define game reviews? By classless trolls that don't know anything and just spam bad reviews with "get orginial version for cheaper" then no, because there is no appeasing them regardless of Beamdog does.

By actual reviewers who can illustrate the advantages of EE, then yes because:

With the master server alone: yes.

As a person who revisited mulitplayer servers recently, there is a lot of hoops to jump to get onto them and get them working properly. The servers themselves are top notch with a lot of love, care and work put into them and theu deserve a more secure structure that EE gives them.

Driver updates alone has made some toons into floating heads and hands which is fixed in the EE.

If Steam workshop is also working properly, then yes. Download and go without having to fiddle with where to put what when playing a mod will be wonderful for today's gamer.

If NWN:DE is bundle with the EE on GoG (even though GoGer's don't like the tactic) then yes. A 1. 69 server isn't moving over to the EE, you can still load up the free 1.69 version you got with it to enjoy that Module.

Backwards compatibility with everything created with DE and with long lost premium modules now available again on release is also a very good selling point.

Having a dedicated team offering updates and new content in the future compared to a version that has been abandoned for years is also a strong selling point.

The question remains is there any bugs or issues that are plaguing the EE where it should remain in Beta?
    SkipBittmanDerpCityJFK
    Until the larger servers migrate to the EE version then it can be assumed that EE is not a more significantly attractive option. A lot of the basic functions on some servers are still not part of the core of the EE server, effectively meaning that EE is unfinished in terms of PW function unless you want to run the most vanilla old school type of server. That is in the general sense converting to EE will be a step back for some servers, depending on how long several Trello cards are left untouched. It doesn't even have the minimum of the auto download function built into the client, and the community hasn't even had time to create new normal/specular art assets so you can't use them or it will be a mish mash of styles.

Quite plausibly NWN EE server list will continue to have much fewer concurrent online players than the NWN2 server list, which has much fewer concurrent online players than the NWN 1.69 server list. I would say that the release is very premature for the PW market considering the current state of endorsement by the larger community.

ZwerkulesLaputianBird
  • TrinitalTrinital Member Posts: 59
    I share the same concerns.
    Most players won't care about all the work that has gone into it so far.

Art overhaul would go a long way but isn't realistic I guess.
    sarevok57
    edited March 2018
    Also they really need to wait until a good selection of modules are uploaded to the Steam Workshop! The whole point of the game, the cream should be up there at launch. That was the whole reason for making it easier for people right?

"Wake up grandpa and tell him to upload his old modules. Do your community a service. A message from the Content Council."

Late summer or fall launch! Oh but you probably want money. Ok I'll buy Dragonspear again for mobile. That's not enough? Dang.
  • JFKJFK Member Posts: 214
    Anyone reckon Beamdog might have information about the state of things that we don't? Because I'd bet they do...
    The stuff shown on the latest Stream looks good, and is an indication of things to come. Why waste time developing it if this upcoming release is 'the end' of development? No reason at all. No, I believe they're going to do just what they've said (repeatedly) they are going to do:
    1. Release on Steam. Put some stuff on the Workshop showcasing what is now possible. That stuff they showed, the Hall of Justice -- that's possible now. CC creators can do that stuff right now.
    2. Preview upcoming for release new Modules/Expansions using these new assets and more.
    3. Continue bringing as much to the backend as they can, opening up systems, etc., just as they've done.
    4. Continue engaging the community, and heeding their hopes, dreams, and advice.

In short (or is it too late for that?) I trust Beamdog to know what they're about, and to want to continue what they've so nicely started with Neverwinter Nights.

-JFK
    ronaldoSkipBittmantbone1Atrophiederic
  • AndarianAndarian Member Posts: 185
    edited March 2018

Also they really need to wait until a good selection of modules are uploaded to the Steam Workshop! The whole point of the game, the cream should be up there at launch. That was the whole reason for making it easier for people right?

This is why the announcement caught me by surprise. I've been preparing an EE update to Sanctum of the Archmage and planning to put out a Steam version, but I thought it would be ready well before the game was out of beta. If I'd known they were going to do it this soon I'd have tried to step up my plans. I'll see what I can do to get caught up now.
    JFK
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    I just wonder, is this to be a proper release or a continuation of the head start under the "in development" type header. Both types of release are available to buy on both steam and GOG.

TR
    Andarian
  • tgxtgx Member Posts: 40
    I guess what prompted this is... maybe they've gotten caught up (inspired by) the crunch time currently taking place at Obsidian, with Deadfire. They're obvious pretty friendly with them, and maybe they've been reminded of how much can be done if you set a definite deadline and work towards it.

So, maybe they've just penciled in the 27th, with the intention of crunching to get some kind of solid release in place. That's one way of doing it. And as I said, maybe they've just been stirred up with the excitement over at Obsidian at the moment. Who knows.

Will it be a good launch? It all depends on if they are going to treat it as an actual launch, and not just a date where they start to sell it (on steam). I wonder.
    Atrophiederic
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    I don't know about crunch times, they've always resulted in me writing things I regret later, just to hit a deadline, like all this crap should've been variables and not hard coded. Not saying that'll happen, just an example of something I regretted later that wasn't thought out well, just because I was in such a hurry to do everything.
    tbone1PlasmaJohn
  • KaosWarMonkKaosWarMonk Member Posts: 40
    edited March 2018
    Am interested if this is to be the full release or just Steam early access? Beamdog?

Thanks
    If you review the stream then it is indeed a release, which they also teased last week, though it might not be available on every store but they haven't discussed that. According to the stream this will be an officially released stable release of the game, while they will continue to update a development version, but otherwise the game is released.

They also expressed several times that they are still working on fundamental questions and have not quite figured out what their rendering and content pipeline will be. When asked about when to expect new content, with a suggestion of the summer, it seemed that they though this might be too soon to expect a lot of asset revision. They're also still working out the details on that side of things.
    Atrophiederic
    Ok so there is only one guy in this thread who isn’t concerned about this decision and he would be happy with MS Pac-Man ee if it didn’t have any bugs
  • raz651raz651 Member Posts: 175
    I am hoping they have been holding a lot of stuff back for release and that they are further along than they have lead us to believe.

Trent keep saying he doesn't want to add any new stuff to the OC, yet he keeps telling us he has be tinkering around with it.

Phil tried to tell us something and Trent stopped him by changing the subject.

They keep showing us stuff they are doing to the models and tilesets. Why did they make it a point to update Aribeth? And then show us the temple from the OC?

Also I thought they would at least get the game to 64bit before they launched the game to sell. Cause if I bought the game because it ran on my 32bit machine and then was later told that I would need to have a 64bit bit machine. I would be pi$$ed off.

Hopefully they will remember first impressions count and is hard to recover from..
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    raz651 said:

Also I thought they would at least get the game to 64bit before they launched the game to sell. Cause if I bought the game because it ran on my 32bit machine and then was later told that I would need to have a 64bit bit machine. I would be pi$$ed

I get what you're saying, but in all fairness, but who the hell's running a 32 bit box these days? Asides from a few businesses stuck on it for super specific apps, everyone should be on a 64 bit box now. XP's no longer supported, and win7's on the way out (which people were definitely encouraged to go 64 bit on). Us Linux users have been on it even longer.
    Andarian
    I noticed if you check your e-mail there is an announcement of the release which states there is no review embargo, it seems to be directly only to the Steam platform for now however.