Skip to content

The Toolset user interface (UI) upgrades card discussion

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
https://trello.com/c/hNZ6is53/88-toolset-user-interface-ui-upgrades has now been moved from the Input board to the Needs More Discussion category of the Roadmap board.

Share your thoughts about this request here. Each your voice will be heard!

Comments

• Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    So, the first thing that comes to mind is easier user navigation of the module with the mouse? rather than using the arrows?
  • JFKJFK Member Posts: 214

So, the first thing that comes to mind is easier user navigation of the module with the mouse? rather than using the arrows?

What exactly do you mean by easier? I'm really used to NWN controls, but I'm open to hearing how they could be easier.

-JFK
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,281
    I don't think the card has captured the request to lock the position of selected placeables (or lock all, with selected unlock).

This is very important to stop accidental movement of carefully placed objects. For example, it ought to stop Refresh from grounding everything placed at custom heights.
  • dunahandunahan Member Posts: 139
    edited May 2018
    I found what @Proleric mentions in the Builders - Toolset part: LINK It is truely anoying when you builded a pyramid of crates and you see, that the one on the top isn't that fitting with it's position. You want to click it directly and then, whoooops its underneath the others. Damn hard to find this one special crate in the list in the left, to get its high back at that what you eventually remember ;) But theres a better and wonderful description of @thirdmouse here: LINK

The next one I found very interesting from @ShadowM is here: LINK How about unlocking of the palette on the right side for example? Is that eventually possible?

One I found out, that interesting too. Not only for me, as wished also from @Dark_Ansem and @ShadowM is here: LINK or LINK To set the Monster Abilities to unlimited (by setting it to -1 or a checkbox) would be nice.

And like that, how about adding that from @Feardain here: LINK When you add, or throw the equipment from a NPC or a Critter, the stats like str, dex, con, int, wis, cha, their ac, and their move speed aren't quite easy to see. For Critter testing on a PW it is normal you must know how to do the math correctly or try and try and try and so on...

Another one I find interesting is from @xorbaxian here: LINK There's one part I definitly worth a looking on, if it's doable "why should i have to open an area when all i want to do is create or edit a placeable ? the palette should be available regardless of whether an area has been opened up." How about creating and editing anything without opening a area?

I did some rearangements within the old toolsets windows, so I think even if the codebase of the toolset is a hurt in the bottom of the coder, with some time (I didn't had quite yet) it would be possible. I tested it also on the new toolset, and found out, that it worked too.

[late edit:] Corrected some typos...
    Post edited by dunahan on
    @dunahan I also want more freedom in the way monster attributes are set: more values (lower than 3) for attributes, negative values for saving throws, AC and HP, and of course the possibility to set monster ability caster level higher than 15.
  • InflatableFriendInflatableFriend Member Posts: 57
    Oooh, toolset. Bit of a wishlist, but...
    • Would being able to open more than one area at a time come under UI? I hope so, it'd certainly make working between multiple areas or copy-pasting between zones much easier.

• For object locking it'd be nice to have two lock toggles, one for XY and a seperate one for Z.

• Give height adjustment a keystoke or key+mouseaction so we don't need to hop in and out of submenus to position things.

• Speaking of submenus, Item Properties. Have a collapsible, dockable version that shows the properties of your currently selected object rather than having to open it for each object.

• Make all of the palletes adjustable and un/dockable, ideally in a way that doesn't cause the toolset to grind to a halt when done, or when working across multiple monitors.
  • shadguyshadguy Member Posts: 154
    I've previously posted a few related threads in the Toolset Forum. Here are links w/ synopsys -Dave
  • ValgavValgav Member Posts: 25
    As aprogrammer I have one request (further discused here)

Just do anything to script editor, even some wrapper for Notepad+ or VS Code with syntax support would be better than current editor.
  • ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    edited March 2018
    Ok I saw on the stream that Treant was kinda of hesitant about going modular with the design windows. So I propose a similar system as gimp has with it docking, but this would be whole toolset system. Where you have setting Docked(locked)/Undocked(unlock) (whatever you want to name it) this will just be the toolset as it is now. To switch between setting all windows must be closed(so do not have worry about losing data when you switching docking system) This will give BD and new people a fallback if there any problems as they move the toolset window setup forward. So when it unlocked you can open multiple windows (give us at least one for every type/or a windows cap (so 10 including tilesets) I know people want unlimited, but like I saying we slowly stepping it forward. Allow this windows to minmized so we can control space and free floating for multi-monitor support. I like how each window look in the sub-screens so I would not change that until more feedback and the modular system is in place and stable. The only suggestion that is would be nice to have is a tab base system in each category similar to scripts, conversation system. So you have tabs of multiple monsters, multiple items, mutiple placables. This would also save on screen space. So you basically know this is the monsters window. Glad you moving the toolset forward, it a big and great part of NWN.
    Post edited by ShadowM on
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    I already posted a whole bunch of UI feature requests over in the toolset section. Not going to repost them here, so anyone interested will have to follow this link. Apologies for the flowery language used BTW, it just felt right at the time.

TR
  • TheCapuletTheCapulet Member Posts: 43
    I'd just really like to see configurable keys and hotkeys for commonly used stuff.

For instance, wasd support would be fantastic. I used to run a separate usb number pad just for nwn building. Can't seem to find the damn thing after all these years though.

But more importantly, it'd be great to do simple things like changing object angles or z-height by holding keys and moving the Mouse. For instance, selecting an object, holding shift, and dragging the direction you want it to front face, or holding alt and dragging an object to move it up and down. Just simple additions like these would make area design 100x faster.
  • T0R0T0R0 Member Posts: 86
    I also posted this in another thread but I'll repeat here for consolidation purposes:
    A toggle in the toolset to see renderaabb, pathnodes, pwks. This will help a lot for precise placement.
  • gugulug5000gugulug5000 Member Posts: 248
    edited March 2018
    I'd like to be able to move around the main window by using the right mouse button (click and drag type thing) instead of having to use the red arrows at the bottom.

EDIT: Also let us resize the windows that open within the toolset.
    edited March 2018

I'd like to be able to move around the main window by using the right mouse button (click and drag type thing) instead of having to use the red arrows at the bottom.

EDIT: Also let us resize the windows that open within the toolset.

ctrl + left mouse button move the main window around.
    ctrl + Right mouse button control rotation.
    Middle scroll wheel for zoom
    Middle button hold free rotation.
    edited March 2018
    @gugulug5000 Try The Guide to Building Volume I – The Aurora Toolset Manual. If you are on a laptop and don't have a mouse, get a cheap one (cheapest in uk £1 for wired £3.50 wireless).

TR
    Came across something really annoying in the toolset. So I have a container inventory item. In game I can open it and look inside. So why can't I pre-load the bleep thing in the toolset? No inventory button or menu option. If it was a number of other type of thing you can put stuff inside things inventories so why not the boxes in the items? So yes I went this fixing.

TR
    edited March 2018
    Oh can we get Items to act the same as placable when comes to height placement. Wow to be able to put a gem on table without it falling to the ground would be nice (I know there are work around but should not need any). On top of this many people make placable versions of items just to get around this so that save on number of models. Would love that pc grab animation relates to height, player grab low if it on the ground, middle grab at like table height and grab up if higher. Item grab radius need to be increased from center so we do not try to path-find into the table just to grab that gem.
    I'd like to add this to the list:
    - Attributes lower than 3
    - saving throws in negative values
    - support for non-existent scores.

since apparently these are not "bugs" but "trello features". Bah.
  • EksevisEksevis Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2018
    The ability to edit item descriptions without opening an additional window, and maybe the ability to temporarily lock it for the sake of not accidentally editing or deleting it?

Far less necessary, but as an aesthetically pleasing idea, I wouldn't mind if the toolset also resembled the in-game UI's / options color scheme.
  • ActionReplayActionReplay Member Posts: 7
    You can just right click on a placeable you have adjust the position of rather than left click on it to continue to tweak the position without it snapping back to the ground. But yes a lock position would be cool, or at least have the toolset remember positional changes with Ctrl Z.
  • virusmanvirusman Member, Developer Posts: 173
    Toolset already remembers positional changes for undo/redo.
  • thirdmousethirdmouse Member Posts: 67
    (Also no longer "drops" placeables on left-click, from same patch.)
  • sandronejmsandronejm Member Posts: 70
    Suggestion: what about hide minimap feature?
    Problem: with no doors in a cave with doorways (with no doors) it makes the cave all discovered, I would like to discover the cave as far as you walk by the doorways with no doors.
  • SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387

Suggestion: what about hide minimap feature?
    Problem: with no doors in a cave with doorways (with no doors) it makes the cave all discovered, I would like to discover the cave as far as you walk by the doorways with no doors.

There are new scripting functions that can mark tiles as unexplored. You can set the map to undiscovered, make it not auto-updatable, then show tiles as players move forward.
  • krynnmeridiakrynnmeridia Member Posts: 14
    My request is to fix this:

The top menu, which is brought up when you change the color of a main light, has a row of squished colors. It's not broken, just kind of annoying.

The bottom menu, which is from when you change a source light, is the real problem. On the right, there's an entire other column of colors that you can't see, as they've been cut off by the GUI. It's possible to select them, but it's a little fiddly and you can't see exactly what color you're picking (though it's obvious as to what you're roughly going to get).

This may just be a resolution issue, but I'm using a common resolution (1920 x 1280) and I don't particularly feel like changing my resolution every time I want to use the toolset.
  • virusmanvirusman Member, Developer Posts: 173
    Is that Windows 7?
    @virusman Yes, it is.
  • LaputianBirdLaputianBird Member Posts: 107
    edited April 2018
    Never had any issue with the toolset panels under windows 7.
    Are you using the dpi rescaling feature, by any chance? That one does a poor job with most program interfaces.
    If it's the case, try setting it to 100% instead of 125% or 150%
    @LaputianBird That was it! Thank you so much, I didn't even know that it was enabled.

How on earth did you guess that? It would never even have occurred to me.
This discussion has been closed.