Skip to content

A Kit for Montaron: Bounty Hunter or Assassin ?

If you were to make Montaron a single-classed thief, do you envision him (his lines, his personality, his motivation) as an Assassin or a Bounty Hunter - and why?
  1. A Kit for Montaron: Bounty Hunter or Assassin ?22 votes
    1. Assassin
      72.73%
    2. Bounty Hunter
      27.27%

Comments

• ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    That's a hard one for me. After BG NPC Project , where he mentions preferring to keep his skills in tune and not relying on poison I found it harder to switch him to assassin.
    As he also mentions loving torture, I could put him down for a BH, just to get them back alive to the special chamber of his superiors. I picture them as wanting to extract plenty of info. B) I f I had to choose I would go with BH, using the RR version that adds alchemical traps.
    I usually feel it fits to leave him a straight up F/T. I switched him to assassin once or twice and it just felt a little off.
    ThacoBellProontAerakar
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    He was more of a general mercenary than anything involved in the seedy underworld of assassin work.

Like I picture people hiring Montaron when they need some extra muscle to bring somebody in. Not necessarily when they want somebody to kill a noble and make it look like an accident or anything like that.

Bounty Hunter seems like the closer fit to me.
    Proont
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Neither.

Thug, from Might and Guile.
    ThacoBellbooinyoureyes
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Raduziel said:

Neither.

Thug, from Might and Guile.

The thug is a multi-class kit. They've expressed a desire to make him a single class thief.
  • toolargtoolarg Member Posts: 179
    Zaghoul said:

That's a hard one for me. After BG NPC Project , where he mentions preferring to keep his skills in tune and not relying on poison I found it harder to switch him to assassin.

In his BG1NPC Project interactions with Eldoth he leaves no room for doubt to the fact that hes an assassin.
    Zaghoulbooinyoureyes
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Montaroon is kind of an interesting character.
    First off, he’s an evil halfling.
    Secondly, he’s sidekick to someone much crazier than he is.
    And thirdly, he and his buddy ask a child for help getting to Nashkel for no reason.
    Bounty hunter implies more of an independent yet law-abiding streak, whereas assassins are frequently in the employ of a powerful and evil organization.
    I’m going with disrespected or incompetent assassin.
    Aerakartbone1
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    If I had to choose, I'd say Assassin. It was a tough call though.

I see him more in the lust to kill than in the ability to track someone down.
    recklessheartAerakar
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    edited March 2018
    Montaron is associated with the Zhentarim. The Zhentarim don't work with mercenaries, per se, except those loyal to their own cause. In that regard, Montaron is far more likely to be a paid Assassin than a Bounty Hunter. Consider also that he attempts to infiltrate the Harper Headquarters in Athkatla at the Zhentarim's behest - there is no known bounty on the heads of the Harpers. It is more likely he does so in service to the faction. Loyalty to a faction diminishes one's identity as a Bounty Hunter, in my mind.

Several of his voiceover command lines also suggest a willingness to murder the player in their sleep, with no known bounty sitting on the head of the player. On the contrary, many high-paying bounties sit on the head of the protagonist character, none of which he betrays you to try and collect.
    ProontAerakar
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    “Sleep lightly, taskmaster...”
    Proont
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I think both are good choices, but I will go with bounty hunter for one reason: he was sent to investigate the Iron Crisis, not to kill a particular target.

That said, assassin and necromancer make sense as a team.
    ProontAerakar
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    toolarg said:

Zaghoul said:

In his BG1NPC Project interactions with Eldoth he leaves no room for doubt to the fact that hes an assassin.
    If Assassin was JUST the "killer for hire" I would agree. But in an early talk her explicitly states that he refuses to use poison. Which the Assassin's main point in BG.
    ZaghoulAerakar
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    toolarg said:

Zaghoul said:

Heh, I do like that conversation. :)
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    toolarg said:

Zaghoul said:

BG1NPC Project is canon in my book, so I'll have to change my opinion if this is true. I'm actually doing an evil run through next with both Eldoth and Monty, so I should see it for myself :)
    ZaghoulRaduzielmashedtaterstoolarg
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    tough but say bounty hunter that doesnt mind killing if needs too...
    ZaghoulAerakarbooinyoureyesProont
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    That's what you get for modding out the invisibility power in exchange for free beer at will...
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    Cheers, all, for your contributions. You make many excellent points. I am no closer to a decision, dang. :D
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,015
    edited March 2018
    I voted assassin of the two choices for no real reason other than it seems to be the consensus from BG1 NPC Project, but really I think evil F/T is right for him TBH.

I see him as an evil somewhat demented, grubby, mercenary more than either a straight bounty hunter or straight assassin.
    ZaghoulProont