Skip to content

The big "Is it a bug or supposed to be like this?" thread

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    edited December 2017

But after deleting my baldur.lua file now the game seems to run like everyone has drank a potion of speed. Quite annoying.

Furthermore, is it me or is quicksaving via pressing 'q' not working? Nor are there portraits in my save games.

That all sounds strange and obviosly doesn't happen for me (as it didn't happen for you till you deleted the file).

As for the Aerie stuck in ogre form - this has been haunting the community for a long time. I'd appreciate if someone manages to get a repro of it.
  • StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    I don't know how to repro it but Aerie's paper doll (?) can be resetted by EEkeeper.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Log the Aerie issue--she does her transformation via a long queue of actions in dialogue without interrupt checks. There are some easy safeguards we can add, even if we can't reliably repro the issue.
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    edited December 2017

Running through the BG2 campaign, I managed to get Aerie stuck in ogre form. However, I can't reproduce the error. But after deleting my baldur.lua file now the game seems to run like everyone has drank a potion of speed. Quite annoying.

Furthermore, is it me or is quicksaving via pressing 'q' not working? Nor are there portraits in my save games.

Anyone knows why this looks as it does? The lack of picture and portraits I mean. ISSUE SOLVED. Thanks @JuliusBorisov for the advice. Somehow AVG, when you have 'file shield' on, prevents the beta version of the games from making certain alterations. If file shield is off, or if you are running the retail v2.3 version everything works fine
    CamDawg said:

Log the Aerie issue--she does her transformation via a long queue of actions in dialogue without interrupt checks. There are some easy safeguards we can add, even if we can't reliably repro the issue.

I'll log the issue. If I remember correctly, there was something that interrupted the conversation (but not quite sure what). I'll post a before and after save.

Post edited by Doubledimas on
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    edited December 2017
    How is it intended that direct poison damage always bypasses Mirror Image and Stoneskin?
    How is it intended that ongoing poison effects are always blocked by Stoneskin?
    How is it intended that any time either of them block a poison effect, it doesn't remove an image/skin.

Both the Poison Spell and the Poison Weapon ability do this now. Their Poison effect is always blocked by Mirror Image/Stone Skin, but their direct Poison damage is never blocked. It should be both or neither.

Drinking the Vial of Mysterious Liquid no longer poisons the user while Stoneskin or Mirror Image are active, which makes no sense.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438

I'll log the issue. If I remember correctly, there was something that interrupted the conversation (but not quite sure what). I'll post a before and after save.

Thanks, I've got it now with a reliable repro case and a fix.
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 1,000
    edited December 2017
    I don't know if this is the right place to point this out, so sorry if this is out of place / already known!

It seems I experience a very minor bug(?) in the 2.0 version menus regarding saving / loading. I noticed it after playing the beta branch of Icewind Dale, in which case hitting either save or load causes the sound effect (of the button) to be played twice. This also appears to happen in the 2.0 versions of Baldur's Gate. Version 1.4 of Icewind Dale doesn't display this behavior.

Here are the screens I am talking about, both the load and save variants of these buttons have the problem. Problematic button(s) are highlighted:

In regards to the UI.menu code of these buttons, removing the Infinity_PlaySound('GAM_09') line seems to fix the issue.

Highly picky of me, I know :p
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    @Bubb Please report it! A good catch!
    If you report these issues, they'll go through a triage to define if each of them is expected/intended or not.

Probably, that is the best way to get the devs' opinion on them.
    While starting a playthrough in ToB because I thought it was slightly less tested, I noticed some things which are odd.

1. A wrong journal entry?
    When looking at the Day 1, Hour 7 entry, this seems to be the entry you receive right before heading to Irenicus at the Tree of Life, right? The No Objective text issues are already reported

2. A wrongly timed journal entry?
    I only got the Pocket Plane journal entry after visiting Saradush which seems odd.

3. Chapter one and two, but 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
    Observe that in the lower left corner of the journal it says Chapter One. I guess due to the space in that area, from chapter 3 it changes to number instead of text, which seems a bit odd to see one and two, but 3-8

Are these things that need to be reported.
    A good idea to test ToB, @Doubledimas . I think it's better to report everything - no harm if you get a few dupes. But a lot of good if you report something for the first time.
    edited February 2018

A good idea to test ToB, @Doubledimas . I think it's better to report everything - no harm if you get a few dupes. But a lot of good if you report something for the first time.

Will do that when I get back home.

edit 2: Finally got around to submitting all the bugs.
    Post edited by Doubledimas on
  • kingnightkingnight Member Posts: 54
    [SOA 2.3 LOB]Endless Brain Golem

It seems this thread has been long forgotten, dose it still work? ...never mind.

Here I am in the Illithid city of Underworld, where I find myself encounter endless Brain Golems summoned by the Master Brain, of course each is worth of 10000xp, which means we can get whatever amount of experience we like. May I ask how should I view on this, is this a bug, a cheese, or just being intended. I just want to play fair, I don't want to feel guilty because I have gained a lot amount of experience by brushing these golems over and over again.

@kingnight This is definitely should be reported. The team will decide if a bug is a correct classification, or it should be a feature request. Start with a bug.

Thanks in advance!
  • kingnightkingnight Member Posts: 54
    edited April 2018
    @JuliusBorisov How are you. By a careful thought, I think this exploit indeed provides the players some advantages, how cruel it is if the feature is being killed. I'm sorry I can't do this, man, not just yet. I'm still thinking and I'm just asking about opinons of how should we look upon this issues.
    Post edited by kingnight on
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 1,000
    edited April 2018
    I've noticed a small bug in the current Icewind Dale beta. It seems that the cursor does not properly change into the hand when hovering over the portraits; it simply adopts whatever state it was in before you hovered over a portrait.

For example, you can replicate this fairly easily by quickly snapping the mouse to scroll the edge of the screen, and then immediately placing the cursor over a portrait. You will get an infinite scrolling animation in this circumstance (while hovering over the portrait).

The one I've found most irritating is when your cursor is over impassible terrain. If you hover the mouse over a portrait after hovering over impassible terrain, the cursor will remain an X, making it seem like you can't select the character, or something of that nature.

I can't get this to happen in the stable build of Baldur's Gate II (haven't tested its beta); I just wanted to make sure that this is indeed a bug, and not some sort of intended change.

Edit: I was a bit dumb; I was searching redmine for "cursor" instead of "mouse." When actually searching for the right keyword, a bug report comes up that already addresses this issue. For anyone who wants to view the bug report, here it is.
    Post edited by Bubb on
    It's a bug, and It's already reported if I'm not mistaken.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    In the BG2:EE beta, I've completed the three prerequisite quests (Animal Trouble in Trademeet, Dealing with the Trademeet Genies, and Solve the 'skinner' Murders in the Bridge District) in order to start the Helping Tiris in Trademeet quest. But when I go to Trademeet, the quest doesn't start. Jenia, the quest giver NPC who's supposed to appear and approach the party, just doesn't show up.

Is there some additional requirement in v2.5? Or is this a bug?
    Please, upload your save at support.baldursgate.com so that the QA could investigate. Maybe it's an unfortunate consequence of fixing the "Statues in Trademeet moves during cutscene with Rasaad" bug.
    Actually, I just checked around Trademeet one more time and this time I did find her, she was in a less traversed part of town. As soon as she saw my party she approached and the quest started as expected. I think she probably spawned off-screen and since her script doesn't instruct her to find the PCs when she's not in direct line of sight, she simply stood there doing nothing.

I'll submit a ticket.
    I did some more testing, and I've found that the Jenia spawning issue is caused by a larger problem of BG2:EE, and that's Beamdog's design decision to spawn NPCs off-screen and out of sight, causing them to never approach the party. Comparatively, vanilla BG2 had these NPCs spawn in the party's direct line of sight, and they approached immediately. Since BG2 has so many quests that start with an NPC that's supposed to spawn near the party, this change has the potential to break a lot of quests, many of which would likely go unnoticed if broken.

The same larger issue is also responsible for bugs like enemy vampires and Kruin's githyanki group spawning in seemingly random locations around the map.

I've created two tickets to report the issue, one related to quest giver NPC spawns, and the other one to enemy group spawns:
    https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/37350
    https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/37348
    If it's so, how do you know it's "a design decision" and not a bug? This is exactly what Redmine is for: to track the issue, find it and decide if it's a bug, a feature, or not an issue.

Thanks for testing BGII:EE now so thoroughly (and before that - BG:EE). We really appreciate it.
    Sure thing! And fair enough, I couldn't be sure if it was intended or not. I only thought it was on purpose because it's kind of similar to how Karan's and Parda's spawning mechanics were changed during the prologue of BG:EE. Certainly could be a bug, though.
    No, it's not decided yet. What is written there is only that the bug is not a regression. It can be reproduced in all retail builds of BGII:EE since v1.2.2030.

It still hasn't gone throgh triage yet.
    @JuliusBorisov Another feature lost to v2.5:

Opcode 172 no longer removes only spent memorizations of 8-character filenames, instead all copies of the spell are now removed.
    I know several mods relied on this behavior, and there is no close alternative. It allowed for limited-use abilities, that would never recharge - once you used them up that was it.

I don't understand why it was changed though, as the only spells it affected in the unmodded game were sequencer activation abilities, which could leave harmless blanks if you died before using them. However, they aren't even all accounted for in the spells that remove them, so I don't know if that was actually the reason, and there were simple alternatives to fixing the sequencer abilities without resorting to engine changes.
    kjeron said:

@JuliusBorisov Another feature lost to v2.5:

Opcode 172 no longer removes only spent memorizations of 8-character filenames, instead all copies of the spell are now removed.
    I know several mods relied on this behavior, and there is no close alternative. It allowed for limited-use abilities, that would never recharge - once you used them up that was it.

I don't understand why it was changed though, as the only spells it affected in the unmodded game were sequencer activation abilities, which could leave harmless blanks if you died before using them. However, they aren't even all accounted for in the spells that remove them, so I don't know if that was actually the reason, and there were simple alternatives to fixing the sequencer abilities without resorting to engine changes.

Tagging @Avenger_teambg
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    edited June 2018
    1. It was an unsafe string comparison (without terminating zero, the comparison went outside the field).
    2. It was reported earlier as a vanilla bug that is annoying a few modders - hey, why we can't use eight letter spells or hey, i see you fixed almost all places with eight letter resrefs BUT ...

About CreateCreatureOffscreen - yeah, we should use that sparsely, if at all. It has a huge quest breaking potential
    @Avenger_teambg
    Well that's disappointing. Any chance of it's parameters being used to dictate which function it performs from now on?
    Remove all
    Remove expended only
    Remove up to #