Skip to content

The big "Is it a bug or supposed to be like this?" thread

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    edited December 2017
    Everyone willing to test Multiplayer, please, use https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/67542/testing-multiplayer-in-2-5#latest, which also has a link to the Discord channel.

Also, the crashes you had could be caused by an Antivirus blocking changes in Documents, as explained in https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/34312#change-203173
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    The effect icon for the Oil of Speed potion changed from "haste" to "improved haste". According to the devs this change is intented because it matches now the Oil of Speed description. The icon was wrong for 20 years. :)

Do you find similar changes?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Shandaxx said:

It's like they don't want me witnessing them leaving.

I agree, and everything in the scripting backs this.

My speculation is that it's a realism thing from the original devs--speaking to the little girl followed by an immediate mass stampede for the exits probably looks silly, or would raise the inevitable question of how they get out while there are still monsters and/or they're wounded, etc. Having them quietly disappear out of sight means the player can assume that they rested, prepared, and then moved out organized and with due precautions without having to, you know, script and dialogue all of that.

It does fall down in a few spots, as noted above.
    edited December 2017
    edited December 2017
    edited December 2017
    My only objection is that you would never get to see the "Time to make me some lizard skin boots. Ha! That'll show 'em." or "Thanks for not letting them turn me into a skeleton." lines. Doing it after a delay of a few (game) hours would work, though.
    edited December 2017
    Whoops, you're correct. I thought the level 1 villagers changed their lines on the escape variable set by the little girl, but they change based on the Lizard King's death--mea culpa.

The villagers on level two do swap their lines on the same conditions as their escape, so it would need a bit of a delay at least. Perhaps they could wait on Sheemish instead.
    edited December 2017
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    @Shandaxx and @Skatan Make sure you report this pathfinding problem, especially as you say that it's worse than in BG:EE and BG2:EE (btw, have you checked pathfinding in the beta of BG:EE and BG2:EE?)
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Good point, will check the pathfinding in BG 1 and 2 maybe already tonight to compare.

Haven't registered a redmine account yet.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Tested in BG1 and the pathing seem to be as usual, meaning very good.
    Skatan said:

Haven't registered a redmine account yet.

It may seem a bit difficult before you start using it, but once you do, it won't be difficult.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Auto-Paused: Enemy Sighted
    Auto-Pause Disabled

Is that a bug, or...? What's preventing the Auto-Pause from working? This is a singleplayer game.

edited December 2017
    @Thels Looks like a bug to me, and not an IWD:EE-specific one.

The auto-pause is working fine for some encounters, and it isn't working for other encounters.

Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    Then at least it would be nice if that was actually explained somewhere, rather than making the user find the correct settings to take it off.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318
    I don't think you can take that auto-pause disabled behavior off (certainly not using in-game controls) - that's what makes it annoying. If you're in a situation in which the response time is critical (as it is going into Landrin's house with a low-level character) and you're not sure if auto-pause will work there's every chance of getting into serious trouble as a result of unpausing when you intended to pause. Turning the auto-pause off entirely at least means you are in full control yourself. I agree that's not explained well anywhere though.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433

Definitely a bug, and an IWD:EE-specific one.

I get the auto-pause working fine in BG:EE, but in IWD:EE get the same error:

Please, check all auto-pause settings and report all related issues.

It seems to be an issue in BGEE (2.5) as well

I don't think it is intentional though, as it happens randomly. Sometimes auto-pause is disabled, sometimes it's not.
    @argent77 that's the encounter I was just posting about - one of the ones where BGEE introduced disabling of the autopause in an earlier update.
    Grond0 said:

Are you sure it's not intentional @JuliusBorisov? There are a number of encounters in BG1 where autopause is disabled (and introducing more and more of those was one reason why I stopped using it entirely). That tends to occur in situations where someone has decided the party should be surprised by encountering enemies (such as finding the spiders in Landrin's house for instance). It's a long time since I played IWD, but from the screenshots it would seem possible that both the encounters you and @Thels referenced have been treated in this way.

I had no idea it could be the case (not using the Auto-pause, I've thought it should work in each case). The ticket is filed, though - https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/34348 - so the devs will look.
    Thels said:

Then at least it would be nice if that was actually explained somewhere, rather than making the user find the correct settings to take it off.

Indeed.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    Grond0 said:

@argent77 that's the encounter I was just posting about - one of the ones where BGEE introduced disabling of the autopause in an earlier update.

The game doesn't seem to matter. I've just triggered the same issue in BG2EE.

It seems to happen only (or primarily) when entering new maps with hostile creatures. Sometimes you need several tries.
    It doesn't make sense for it to be intentional, though. Why implement an auto-pause feature, if you then cannot rely on it. Especially since pausing and unpausing are the same button. You may very well be unpausing when you want to pause.

And what's the motivation for it? All it does is force people to quickly hit the space bar in specific situations, or, if they want to be sure auto-pause doesn't accidentally trip them over, disable auto-pause and hit space bar for every single encounter. Overall, this 'feature' (if that's what it truly is) is only causing issues.
    argent77 said:

Grond0 said:

The game doesn't seem to matter. I've just triggered the same issue in BG2EE.

It seems to happen only (or primarily) when entering new maps with hostile creatures. Sometimes you need several tries.
    Again that's the same sort of encounter where it can be argued that the party should be surprised to be attacked. In PnP there were rules about surprise and this seems to me to be an attempt to model those. I agree with @Thels though that undoing a specific game mechanic provided in the original game is not a good way to do that - I'll be interested to see the reaction of developers to the ticket Julius mentioned.
    edited December 2017
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    They probably have a +4 bonus themselves, and the -4/+0 is their final modifier.
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Running through the BG2 campaign, I managed to get Aerie stuck in ogre form. However, I can't reproduce the error. But after deleting my baldur.lua file now the game seems to run like everyone has drank a potion of speed. Quite annoying.

Furthermore, is it me or is quicksaving via pressing 'q' not working? Nor are there portraits in my save games.