Skip to content

Why Not Do A New Infinity Engine Game?

2»

Comments

• loudentloudent Member Posts: 38

I love the infinity engine games. Absolutely adore them. Love IWD, BG, all of them (though I have yet to play PST).

But do you love them because they are infinity engine games? If they were made in some hypothetical other engine you would have not loved them?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I have a saying that I totally stole from another forumite here. "These games are good inspite of the IE, not because of it."
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    The Infinity Engine was actually quite excellent. It could do all kinds of crazy stuff that other games of the time could not. It's just that both hardware and software have advanced far beyond the Infinity Engine in the past 20 years, and the amazing engine of 1998-2002 is outclassed by modern engines.

I've often marveled to my brother how much gaming has changed in our short lives. When I was a kid, games didn't have exponential gravity. Now, we have games like Super Mario Galaxy with multi-directional, three-dimensional gravity. When I was born, 3D games were non-existent, but before I even got out of high school, games like Oblivion not only had meshes with sky-high polygon counts; they had location-dependent dynamic textures that simulated even higher polygon counts.
    Heck, I remember VR being strictly Sci-Fi, I even DREAMED about it as a kid.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    SethDavis said:

why does noone ask us to make a card game? that would be a waaaay easier engine to work with....

I will, but only if you call it ”Magic the Blathering”.

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I too want an original Infinity Engine game. I don't have the time or patience to learn a new system, and frankly, the Infinity Engine games are the video games I've enjoyed the most in my life by a wide margin.

Call it laziness or whatever, but an IE game would be much more accessible to me.
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited April 2018

I too want an original Infinity Engine game. I don't have the time or patience to learn a new system, and frankly, the Infinity Engine games are the video games I've enjoyed the most in my life by a wide margin.

Call it laziness or whatever, but an IE game would be much more accessible to me.

I agree wholeheartedly, but your post is from a user perspective, and since the OP asked the developers to do a new game, most people have given reasons from the developer perspective: that the engine is hard to work with and dated in terms of what computers can achieve today.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    still not buying it that ie is extremely hard to work with for the purposes of making a d&d game. since the devs have the source code obviously they wouln't be modding it but developing and repurpising it
    the heart of every game is graphics rendering and basic modes of interaction and control. I don't see what's antiquated there: graphics work. you click and stuff happens. ie looks pretty great at that to me. it's snappy, responsive, not hardware demanding etc

now which things exactly happen etc is up to various systems but for every new game these usually have to be created from scratch

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

I'd accept any real time with pause isometric game that uses a Dungeons and Dragons/Pathfinder system. A rough imitation of the Infinity Engine would work miracles for me, and I would be far more likely to buy that game when compared to something like NWN.
    bob_veng said:

still not buying it that ie is extremely hard to work with for the purposes of making a d&d game. since the devs have the source code obviously they wouln't be modding it but developing and repurpising it
    the heart of every game is graphics rendering and basic modes of interaction and control. I don't see what's antiquated there: graphics work. you click and stuff happens. ie looks pretty great at that to me. it's snappy, responsive, not hardware demanding etc

now which things exactly happen etc is up to various systems but for every new game these usually have to be created from scratch

I mean, the official devs have stated how tempramental it is. If you are going to just dismiss them, I don't know what to tell you. Learn the engine and find out for yourself, I guess.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    The only thing stopping modders from making their own IE engine games would be artwork i'm assuming as long as they aren't profiting from them outside of voluntary donations. I have absolutely no concept of how expensive it would be to actually produce new maps like that though.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308

I'd accept any real time with pause isometric game that uses a Dungeons and Dragons/Pathfinder system. A rough imitation of the Infinity Engine would work miracles for me, and I would be far more likely to buy that game when compared to something like NWN.
    Hopefully you're aware of Pathfinder: Kingmaker from Owlcat Games, then. Also check out blackgeyser.com.
  • ZilberZilber Member Posts: 253
    kanisatha said:

Hopefully you're aware of Pathfinder: Kingmaker from Owlcat Games, then. Also check out blackgeyser.com.
    I wasn't. Thanks for the head's up!