Skip to content

Beamdog and the Future of Mobile RPG Gaming

With the release of SOD on mobile marking the last title in the IE series where code is available (no hopes for IDW II) – and seeing that Beamdog will not be releasing NWN on mobile, would this indicate a general move away from that market for new products?

I would certainly be disappointed in this – since (due to work / lifestyle etc …) I am mobile gamer about 75% of the time.

It also seems that significant RPG titles from other publishers (POE, Tyranny, TTON etc) are too “hefty” to make it onto the mobile platform ? So - for mobile RPG gamers, the outlook seems bleak. (SpiderWeb Software being the 1 exception)

As a customer that has bought almost everything you guys have published, I just wished to express my ongoing interest in your mobile offerings. They are my most played titles on IOS as really very little out there compares to them.

Hope you’ll stick in there and give us more quality offerings on Mobile in the future ….
StummvonBordwehrmashedtaterslost1

Comments

• StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,342
    I’ll second that.

The Bg saga works really well on iOS. I really hope for several expansions and games for iOS and in general. And especially for the BG saga.

It doesnt have to be an expansion as big as SoD. A smaller dungeon crawl or quest pack could easily be implemented without breaking imersion to much... SoA is great, but the plot isnt so linear that yet another quest couldnt be fitted into chapter 3. And ToB has plenty of room for more content imho.

The expansions could be purchased in the game - like the ee companions. The engine is there and the game is really functioning well. So go ahead BD - make my day
    mashedtaters
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Good News:

There next alleged title will be on mobile devices.

Bad News:

It’s not a RPG but Axis and Allies (allegedly - speculation).
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    edited April 2018
    I like mobile gaming too, but I don’t have an iPad. I do it on my iPhone.

Unfortunately, though I have purchased them all, I have found the infinity engines to be a bit too unwieldy for my personal preferences on even my iPhone 6s+. I would hope that NWN would be better.

I wish that there were more in-depth RPGs for iOS out there. Most of the ones I see are shallow MMORPG clones or rogue-likes, which don’t really hold my interest. An old-school bioware style game with good writing, griping dialogue, and non-linear story is much need for the platform, if the genre was tailored for the device. I think Beamdog could really take advantage of this huge gap in the market.

@DonCzirr Have you tried The Quest, by Redshift Games? It was designed for handheld games many years ago and still holds up decently. I wish there were more titles out there like that, as I it’s pretty dated.
    lost1
  • DonCzirrDonCzirr Member Posts: 165
    edited April 2018
    Hi Mashedtaters - yep, I tried it but it's not my taste.

I am really a big fan of the isometric / party based style RPGs.

The only ones of that flavor on mobile (besides the Beamdog offerings) are by SpiderWeb Software - the Avadon and Avernum series. These are deep worlds and I believe worth a serious RPG player's time. He's a 1 man development company however so the games do not have the same level of polish of a Beamdog title - but otherwise great work.

ShadowRun Dragonfall was good too but HBS has abandoned that line in favor of their new BattleTech offering on the PC.

So - really hoping Beamdog keeps in the game. Like you said most other offerings are MMORPG. Freemium and or Japanese / Anime RPGs - a style that does not appeal to me at all.
    mashedtaterslost1
    Well ... a week's gone by and no words of assurance or commitment from Beamdog .... I guess that says something in itself ....

Looks like those future iTunes gift cards will be going to SpiderWeb Software ;)
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    DonCzirr said:

Well ... a week's gone by and no words of assurance or commitment from Beamdog .... I guess that says something in itself ....

Looks like those future iTunes gift cards will be going to SpiderWeb Software ;)

Oh lord. Did no one tell you :(
    http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/we-are-no-longer-supporting-android-sigh.html
    I knew of that - he is still actively supporting IOS.

Avernum 3 was just released on IOS in fact ;)

Still .... not as good or as desirable as Beamdog being on IOS .... nudge ... nudge .... wink ... wink BD :open_mouth:
    I’m a big fan of spiderweb. I played their old Exil series for Windows 95. I own their newest itinerarion of exile and avernum but only played the first one. I don’t own an iPad, so I can’t play it on iOS. Sad.
    You can get a good one iPAD 2017 version for about 300.00 USD on Amazon. - This will also play Siege of Dragonspear - which is BD's most resource intensive app yet.

The SpiderWeb games - Avadon and Avernum play very well on it.

Beamdog - any possibility you can talk about Beamdog and its future in Mobile Gaming on your next streaming session?

There are fans that would be interested in this.
    mashedtaters
    I wish they had kept the hunger engine with the new avernum. It was one of my favorite things about the old exile games. Food is supposed to be scarce in the great caverns and it just doesn’t come across as well without tight resource management.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited June 2018
    Everyone who have participated or read this discussion - take note that Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition on tablets is in the works. ;)
    StummvonBordwehr
    Yes - great news again - thanks Julius.
    JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehr