Skip to content

Has the "sleep" trap in Kresselack's tomb been altered?? *Spoilers*

2»

Comments

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

The Helm of the Trusted Defender is just barely affordable at this point in the game and will grant immunity to sleep.

But this assumes that everyone is smart and cool enough to bring shorties along for the adventure. ;)
    ThacoBell
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Quartz said:

The Helm of the Trusted Defender is just barely affordable at this point in the game and will grant immunity to sleep.

But this assumes that everyone is smart and cool enough to bring shorties along for the adventure. ;)
    But who would be so foolish? :p
    ThacoBell said:

Quartz said:

Ain't nothin' foolish about 19 Int, baby!
    ThacoBell
    Quartz said:

ThacoBell said:

Quartz said:

No, as in, "Who would be so foolish to not have shorties?"
    Quartz
    ThacoBell said:

Quartz said:

ThacoBell said:

Quartz said:

No, as in, "Who would be so foolish to not have shorties?"
    My bad.

Sadly, I've seen a lot of people on these forums confess to running only humans, half-elves, and elves. Especially in IWD where people get to form their entire party. Weird stuff.
    ThacoBell
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    lol

they love them believe me :#
    @subtledoctor Yes. In fact, before the EE's, I didn't know what the bonuses even meant. My knowledge of the game mechanics (despite 10+years experience) was pretty poor before using these forums. I am a human, playing one in a supposedly fantastic setting is boring, Elves are just longer lived, white supremacist humans, so unpleasant. The shorty races are actually interesting and likeable.
    Quartz
    edited May 2018
    Yea I played vanilla BG since its release all the way up until BG:EE (I never used TuTu and all that), and honestly had no clue about the bonuses. My love of shorties is AUTHENTIC.

Also was working on a shorty NPC mod for a couple of years (we're slow) with @CrevsDaak but he's disappeared for the past few months. :'(
    ThacoBell
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859

I have to say... mostly I see people praise shorties for the dumb saving throw bonuses, and not much more. Do you guys really love shorties? Or is it just shallowly taking advantage of a bonus arbitrarily assigned to an otherwise unremarkable areangment of pixels? Would you play shorties if they didn't get those bonuses?

#fakeshortylove

My most-played race in the IE games is human. My second-most-played race is halfling, even though this means I'm locked out half of the single-classes and almost all of the multiclasses, as well as 19 strength in BG1 and all of the stupid bonuses that go along with it.

Why? Least-ugly paperdolls and quality stock portraits. Same reason why my least-played race is gnome.
    Quartz
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    edited May 2018
    Quartz said:

Sadly, I've seen a lot of people on these forums confess to running only humans, half-elves, and elves. Especially in IWD where people get to form their entire party. Weird stuff.

Why is that sad? Aren't they allowed to put together a themed party? A party comprised entirely of elves whose primary mission is "discover the fate of the Severed Hand" is perfectly acceptable.

Quartz said:

Why is that sad? Aren't they allowed to put together a themed party? A party comprised entirely of elves whose primary mission is "discover the fate of the Severed Hand" is perfectly acceptable.
    Golly gee @Mathsorcerer you and I have been around each other on this forum long enough to know I'm opinionated and prone to exaggeration just to make things fun. I'm not legitimately affronted by people playing the game(s) the way they want!
    ThacoBell
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579

This issue is known - https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/34069 - and planned for the final 2.5 patch release.

For anyone who doesn't want to wait and/or install a new version of IWD:EE, is it possible to make available a file that can be dropped into the override folder that would quickfix this issue?

Thanks in advance.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    I decided to give the 2.5 beta a run-through (after having not played IWD for a long time) and I completely forgot about this un-detectable, un-removable trap. I'm glad it'll be fixed in the final patch release.

My entire party was standing next to the sarcophagus when it went off, who were promptly hacked to pieces. I can't help but wonder if this was an oversight by the developers or just some sadistic fun on their part.

After a few frustrating reloads, I decided to fight cheese with cheese. I sent in my elf fighter/thief in stealth-mode to trigger the trap while the rest of the party waited near the back of the hallway. As soon as it triggered, there was enough time for my party to rush in and melee most of the skeletons before her stealth "wore off," leaving her completely vulnerable. She still took a couple of hits from a lone skeleton before my bard could take it out with a magic missile, but she survived nonetheless.

Anyone know the details on how the trap will be fixed?
    Quartz
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    edited May 2018
    I'm not sure if it's intended to mimic the Sleep or Color Spray spells, as its a mix of both:
    The spell it fires uses the projectile for Sleep, but the effects of the Color Spray spell, except that it cannot be evaded or blocked by Blindness(Color Spray), nor does it offer the racial resistance for Elves(Sleep). The level ranges for the effects match a L5 Color Spray:
    L5< Sleep no save
    L6 = Sleep w/save
    L7-8 = Blind w/save
    L9 = Stun w/save

Except that the effects only match it because now (the non-beta IWDEE v2.5.16.3) the actual Color Spray spell also allows waking on hit (despite it's description explicitly stating otherwise).

It appears that knocking someone unconscious with fists now also functions as "sleep", except it treats the same hit that knocked them out as the hit that wakes them up as well, so they immediately wake up.
    Mortianna
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    The spell which triggers is fixed--at least you can get a saving throw against it if you are 6th level, which your thief probably is by this point--but the underlying problem is still broken--the "door" itself doesn't count as trapped and you cannot locate any trap, even with a Find Traps skill of 100 or if you cast the Find Traps spell.

Once I fix it so that the door itself is trapped and that trap may be removed I will let you know what minor changes got made; the files affected will probably be ar3501.are and ar3501.bcs