Skip to content

Neverwinter Nights, a Guide for Newbies

nivniv Member, Moderator, Developer Posts: 410
edited November 2017 in General Discussions NWN:EE
If you're coming from Infinity Engine games, then this thread is for you. Here, are a few bullet points to give you a crash course on what NWN (and NWN:EE) is.

- NWN is a D&D 3.0 game. There are differences, of course, but the basic rendition of the ruleset is faithful enough to be comfortably familiar. The most marked change to IE games is that you are playing in a 3d perspective; always focused on your own/main character. Other characters in your party (NPCs or players) are not directly controllable and will act on their own.

- There are other games carrying the Neverwinter title. There is the original Neverwinter Nights from 1991. There is also Neverwinter Nights 2, the successor developed by Obsidian Entertainment; and the Neverwinter MMO by Cryptic. This game is neither of those: It was published originally in 2002, developed by BioWare and headed by Trent Oster, Beamdog’s CEO. The reason you are here specifically is the Enhanced Edition of that game.

- Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition includes the Neverwinter Nights base game, two expansions (Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark) and three premium modules (Kingmaker, ShadowGuard, and Witch’s Wake). This is the same content included in "Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition".

As part of the Enhanced Edition, Premium Modules have been made to work again and three additional premium modules (Pirates of the Sword Coast, Infinite Dungeons, and Wyvern Crown of Cormyr) will be sold separately.

- Arguably, the biggest driving factor for NWN:EE is not the original campaigns or even the Premium Modules, but the customisation aspects of the game. It ships with a very flexible toolset that allows players to create their own adventures in ways few other games or platforms do. The Aurora Toolset is easy to use and thanks to its tile-based approach allows someone with only a little know-how produce great content.

NWN:EE keeps this alive and attempts to foster the custom content community. At this time, the toolset is only available on Windows.

- Neverwinter Nights has modding support built in, where modules (and servers) can add new creatures, items, tilesets, and so on. This extra content is usually packaged up in "HAK packs" (extension: .hak).

For Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition, nothing in this regard has changed. Modules and custom content created so far, will keep working just like before.

- In addition to modding, the multiplayer scene is huge. The game distro allows anyone to host a server and run their own adventures. Some go so far as to create full persistent worlds; servers that remain online indefinitely with game styles as varied as can be. Some are pure action, others are as roleplay-heavy as the MUDs of old.

- The authentication servers and matchmaking servers were taken down a few years ago when GameSpy shut down, effectively breaking multiplayer. The community stepped up and made their own registry, which you can find at http://nwnlist.com/. This workaround requires both client and server changes.

NWN:EE brings back fully working multiplayer out of the box.

- A few crafty people created extensions to NWN that go beyond modding. These were called NWN Extender, or NWNX; they added things like database support and more script commands.

NWN:EE is now collaborating with the authors of NWNX to make sure compatibility is met as best as possible.

Resources to check out/read on:

- Promo Page: http://nwn.beamdog.com/
- Server list for 1.69 (the old/current release): http://nwnlist.com/
- Where all custom content is at: https://neverwintervault.org/

This thread exists so you can ask questions about the game. If anything that is unclear, please ask! We'll answer to the best of our abilities and amend the initial post, if needed!
JuliusBorisovFlashburnmlneveseBelleSorcierelolienaarionnSjerriekaguanakcwiseKenjiGyges359dZwerkulesDethangels_Shadowvoidofopinionfetito666helmo1977XorinaAtrophiedericPrince_RaymonddTdStummvonBordwehrdunahan

Comments

• JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 395
    Multiplayer Question: How does pausing work?

Seriously. I know that communication can go a long way here, but I can no longer commit to sitting for long periods at a time anymore. More often than I'd like, I often have to run away from the keyboard with little forewarning. I've had to cancel all of my MMO subscriptions because of this. Should I even be considering multiplayer here?
    Atrophiederic
    @Flashburn: Thank you for the quick reply. Due to my circumstances, I suppose that I was more curious how the servers worked. I imagine that I'll be soloing mostly, but I'd absolutely love to have at least *some* interaction with other characters. I don't know how fast mobs respawn or anything of that nature, but those "return to safe zone" items sound like godsends in worlds where pause doesn't exist. Thank you again.
    Atrophiederic
  • Optimist4914Optimist4914 Member Posts: 3
    So new to the forums here and been trying to catch up - so forgive if this has been covered in another thread that I haven't seen yet. Currently in the process of downloading the headstart - question #1 - Can/Do I need to add the latest CEP pack to this ?
    wilshadeAtrophiederic
  • BalanorBalanor Member Posts: 176
    @Optimist4914 - No, you do not need CEP. It should work though, if you want to use/test it though.
    Atrophiederic
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,269
    CEP is not needed for the OC, but is required for many of the excellent fan-made modules on neverwintervault. Look out for CEP under Required Projects on those module pages.

So far, CEP seems to work perfectly on EE.

You only need to download the latest CEP2. Some older modules need the latest CEP1. Those are the only versions you'll ever need - Required Projects sometimes specifies an older version, but that can safely be ignored.

XorinaAtrophiedericdTd
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    Wouldn't it be worth to merge them?
    Not possible. CEP1 and CEP2 are incompatible, by design.
    dTd
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    Oh well... no point asking why now, yes?
  • BradgeBradge Member Posts: 24
    I'm unsure why they're incompatible, but I notice from following the links above that the second version was taken on by a different team than the first version. The original team had become inactive for a decade, allegedly, before the new team stepped in and began maintaining and changing the earlier CEP.
    Atrophiederic
  • ninjazninjaz Member Posts: 13
    Bradge said:

I'm unsure why they're incompatible, but I notice from following the links above that the second version was taken on by a different team than the first version. The original team had become inactive for a decade, allegedly, before the new team stepped in and began maintaining and changing the earlier CEP.

The original team supported CEP until 2.4 if I am not mistaken. The incompatibility issue of CEP1 and CEP2 has to do with the fact that each one serves a different expansion of the original NWN. CEP1 was for SotU and CEP2 served HotU and Diamond.
  • VivienneLVivienneL Member Posts: 52
    How can I use the scaling UI in the Head Start version? I only have one choice which is 1.
    Zeldaboch
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    VivienneL said:

How can I use the scaling UI in the Head Start version? I only have one choice which is 1.

@VivienneL https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/67120/ui-scaling-what-should-we-expect#latest
  • XorinaXorina Member Posts: 138
    Proleric said:

CEP is not needed for the OC, but is required for many of the excellent fan-made modules on neverwintervault. Look out for CEP under Required Projects on those module pages.

So far, CEP seems to work perfectly on EE.

You only need to download the latest CEP2. Some older modules need the latest CEP1. Those are the only versions you'll ever need - Required Projects sometimes specifies an older version, but that can safely be ignored.

Ensure you also pick up the community patch for EE at v. 1.72

edited April 2018
    Xorina said:

Ensure you also pick up the community patch for EE at v. 1.72

The official EE release is 1.74. Community patch is controversial. If you don't know why you need it, my advice is not to install it.

If you do install it, remember to uninstall it before playing fan-made modules like mine.
    dTdXorina
  • ShadowcranShadowcran Member Posts: 11
    edited May 2018
    The one area where I feel I'm especially good at is Inventory Control. Why? I'm an avid "in game collector" and love to get magical items and artifacts. Also, the tips I'm going to give can also help in the other Beamdog games as well as Non Beamdog RPGs. Also, I do all this without cheating.

Inventory Management Tips:

1. As soon as you possibly can, get "containers". In NWN this is magic bags, a boxlike chest and Bags of Holding. I don't recommend the boxlike chest as it does not reduce your weight.
    2. A good way to organize your inventory is to put your containers on your first section, potions/kits on the second, Reagants on the third, spells on the fourth, ammo on the Fifth(unless you're ranging, then put this on first) and Gems/rings/necklaces on 6th.
    3. on your first section with the bags, put your sellable loot. This is stuff you're not going to use in armor and weapons, often just common ones. Put these in the bags that drop the most weight for you. Once you find one, bags of holding are best for these as it will basically render the item weightless.
    4. Also, in the first section, use your bags that drop the least weight for scrolls, quest items, quest books. Try to empty them out as you can. A good place to do so is right by the divining portal in the temple. If that item might be used again, it will show up in that portal. Sell quest items like that to the portal and drop the ones you can't right next to it.
    5. Also, in the first section put your Stone of Recall. This is just for ease.
    6. Potions, in the second section, stack in groups of 10. A good rule of thumb is once you get 2 sets of 10, sell one of the sets.
    7. Spells stack too. It's wise to never sell(if you can help it) all of one spell but do sell the copies by splitting(available to the right once you right click on it)
    8. **Try to sell your items at the same place but NOT at the Divining pool. Why? It gives the worst $$ for it. Just sell quest items there. By selling at the same place, you know where it is. This is more for Baldur's Gate than NWN but it applies to both. (BG games don't use divining pools)
    9. Gems also stack, but rings and necklaces do not. Sell all rings and necklaces when you can(unless they're enchanted and worth keeping) but sell all but 1 gem. That way when you find more of that gem or spell they will automatically go to that section to stack instead of first.
    10. In the BG and ID series, you have scroll cases. These can also hold books and papers.

The common containers can often be found at merchants. Not all carry them of course, but the ones that do, find and buy. Bags of Holding are usually found in quests and it's often a good thing to use the Internet to find out where they are and see if they're obtainable early.

Weight distribution is a key factor often in obtaining loot which is why the containers are so handy and especially those that reduce weight. There are armor you can wear that reduce weight as well, but don't make them priority over better ones at protecting yourself.

The things I've mentioned may seem a bit complicated overall, but it's not. If you do it, you'll spend less time worrying with your inventory and more time playing the game as the organization becomes routine to the point it doesn't take long at all. It may be slow at first, but it'll definitely make playing easier.

If you have other tips or want to ask me questions, feel free to do so. I enjoy helping others and would also appreciate knowing more ways to manage inventory.

Edit: Some items may seem completely worthless but are actually quest items/plot items. Many are used as Forge items later. Look up in search "Miracles of the Forge". http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Recipes_of_the_forge

Reagants may also seem worthless and honestly, many of these things should stack but don't. They can simply just get in the way of inventory control. Unless you are playing a mage, don't save more than 5 of any reagant. Some reagants can also work in forging is why keeping 5 is ok but there is no need to keep more than that. If you're a mage, collect all you want but be prepared to have a bunch of lesser bags to store them in.
    JuliusBorisovvoidofopinionPrince_RaymondXorina
  • XorinaXorina Member Posts: 138
    I'd commend the jewel box though as it creates space and jewels don't weigh anything.

Also merchants: In chapter 2, the temple dwarf gives bad prices but the elf in the pub just outside next to the investigation HQ gives great prices.

Use the teleport to regularly dump junk like books and other 1GP loot on the dwarf and teleport back after the short walk outside to the elf in the pub to ID/sell armour & weaps.
    JuliusBorisovPrince_Raymond
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    niv said:

The most marked change to IE games is that you are playing in a 3d perspective; always focused on your own/main character. Other characters in your party (NPCs or players) are not directly controllable and will act on their own.

Wait, WHAT?

• Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    edited July 2018

niv said:

The most marked change to IE games is that you are playing in a 3d perspective; always focused on your own/main character. Other characters in your party (NPCs or players) are not directly controllable and will act on their own.

Wait, WHAT?

What wasn't clear? NWN uses the Aurora Engine. It's a 3D game unlike the old Infinity Engine (IE) games which are isometric. Sure you can play NWN from an isometric view for the most part but more than likely you're going to pan the camera at some point or zoom in on your character, and any npcs/henchmen in your party are not under your direct control like in Baldur's Gate, instead they use an AI. You can issue commands like 'attack nearest enemy" but you can't say force Dorna to specifically cast a lesser restoration on your character while in the midst of fighting.
    Post edited by Nic_Mercy on
    Xorina
  • 24jel24jel Member Posts: 71
    edited October 2018
    Edit: nevermind, poster my question in the right section.
    Post edited by 24jel on
    JuliusBorisov
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    Are there any good online/mobile character building apps like there are for NWN2? I'm looking for something like nwn2db's builder.

I've found many "ancient" links to various spreadsheets and so on, but nothing quite like the nwn2db builder.

• avensisavensis Member Posts: 7
    edited May 2019
    It's nice to have taken the time to make this short concise and precise guide.

________________________________________________________________________________
    https://www.ucbrowser.vip/ https://shareit.onl/ https://mxplayer.pro/
    Post edited by avensis on
  • coolcatscoolcats Member Posts: 1
    NWN EE on Mac Mojave OS: help needed with simply playing the game. I can't get my character (paladin) to attack inanimate objects- doors, chests, Braziers (needed to complete chapter 2). There is no response to the attack command - my character just stands still and nothing happens. For items that come up "locked" such as chests and doors my henchman rushes in and deals with it while my character stands like a dummy. However this doesn't work with the braziers or Barams's bone temple tombstones. Same effect whether I use radial menu or quick bar. Attacking with a wand that paladins can use works but regular paladin spells do not. Makes it impossible to complete the game. Am I stupidly missing something really basic or is this a bug?
  • Allanon81Allanon81 Member Posts: 327
    @Proleric Is NWN:EE for android based on 1.74? So if I install the 1.72 Community patch am I regressing? Even though the patch was recently updated?
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    @Allanon81 ask @Shadooow, the writer of the cpp.

TR
    Things have moved on since my April post. NWN for Android is now 1.78.8186.
    JuliusBorisov
    Can anyone tell me how to make combat abilities, such as rapid shot, activated by default, please? Also, is there a way to make walls transparent? The bubble created around the main character is kind of nice, but it's so small that I still can't see enemies, containers, and such.
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    Jidokwon wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how to make combat abilities, such as rapid shot, activated by default, please? Also, is there a way to make walls transparent? The bubble created around the main character is kind of nice, but it's so small that I still can't see enemies, containers, and such.

I'm not sure there's any way to automate turning on things like rapid shot, but there should be a setting to hide second story tiles which should make seeing enemies and containers easier.
    Prince_Raymond