Skip to content

Pillars of Eternity 2:Deadfire announced spoilers for pillars1 ABSOLUTELY NO PILLARS 2 SPOILERS PLS

1101112131416»

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

@ThacoBell Quite a true equivalence, actually. As orcas still eat other whales. Even blue whales are not save of Free Willy's jaws. At least last time I checked whales were considered as a both sentient and sapient species.

Protip: IRL animals don't care whenever their food is sapient, sentient or dumb as bread. Food is food is food. Nom nom nom.
    Skatankanisatha
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Speaking of whales, minor spoilers for PoE2...

So whaling is an option in PoE2 in some of the random encounters. It's a great source of meat to feed your crew from random encounters.

I also have to say, I respect Eder a hell of a lot more in PoE2 than in the first one.

I do have to hand it to Obsidian, the areas are such lovingly painted 2d. The first game was good in this respect too, and the second one does measure up to the first in that regard.
    kanisathaThacoBell
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    ThacoBell said:

@DrHappyAngry There are a bunch of notes for the previous expedition. For the individual floors, there are a bunch of contextual clues in the map design. Several floors also have npcs that will talk to you. Like the cannibal ogres and how that came about, the Fampyr (I don't think civil war is the right word, but they are at each others' throats.) The last few floors had a connected narrative. Starting wiht finding the lab and experiments on souls, leading into some kind of power struggle that killed most of the researchers, and learning WHY all this happened on the second to last floor. There is a LOT to unpack if you look for it.

None of which is relevant to the main storyline.

In addition, since it all happened in the past, the protagonist has no influence over the story.

Now maybe some people do like big dungeon crawls, but the problem was siting it on the critical path, and at an early point no less. It should have been tucked away in an obscure corner.
    SharGuidesMyHand
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    ThacoBell said:

@kanisatha How many friendly dragons do we meet in Eora? Heck, the ones that CAN be resolved without violence require stat checks to succeed, stat checks way higher than can be expected of the average person to have. Anything supposedly noble shouldn't be that beligerant. Dragon hunters are performing a service by protecting the average village from the wrath of dragons.

Well, by my way of looking at things, all of them except for the one in WM1 - which was evil as hell and needed a swift kick in the ass. The basement dragon just wanted its freedom - perfectly reasonable. The temple dragon wanted a safe place to raise its young - again, reasonable, though I wish they'd given us an option to find a different location for it and return the temple to Hylea so that it's a win-win. And fighting the very cool wizard woman with two dragons is roleplaying-wise utterly ridiculous if you're even mildly good. I liked that you could actually compliment her and her awesome dragon friends - would've loved to be able to gain them as friends/allies!
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Kamigoroshi Orcas are not whales. They are Dolphins, and Dolphins ARE evil. Chaotic Evil specifically.

@DrHappyAngry Well, yes, its a side dungeon. Like Durlag's Tower, Werewolf Island, and Watcher's Keep before it, its a self contained adventure to do on the side.

@kanisatha I'll give you the Hylea temple dragon. But there is nothing noble or good about trying to steal someone else's body, its essentailly murder. And the woman with the two dragons starts off hostile, I had to make stat checks to avoid a fight, so they were looking to kill from the outset.
    @ThacoBell Toothed whales, like orcas and sperm whales for instance, are indeed 100% true whales. So yeah, it's a whale-eats-whale world we life in. :p
    @Kamigoroshi It belongs to the Dolphin family.
    And dolphins in turn are toothed whales. Any other questions? :p
    deltago
    Toothed whales are overwhelmingly almost all Dolphins or extremely close relations. Its such a broad term, that you may as well just use "Cetacean" to describe them. Dolphin is more accurate for Orcas, being a more specific term.
    I'll just bet they all taste delicious. >:)

I actually just finished my first playthrough as a swashbuckling pirate. I did some bad stuff, but wasn't bwahaha evil, just about what you'd expect from a pirate, but still did some good taking down slavers and such. Ending was quite a surprise, but I won't get into that since it's big time spoilers. I didn't do absolutely everything, and didn't bother with anything I though my character wouldn't do, I still hit the level cap before the end.

I'm about to start up a new run. I'm thinking goodie-two-shoes Troubadour/Shield Bearer, since that should let me see a lot of stuff I didn't get on my paladin run.
    kanisatha
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    ThacoBell said:

..snip.. But there is nothing noble or good about trying to steal someone else's body, its essentailly murder. And the woman with the two dragons starts off hostile, I had to make stat checks to avoid a fight, so they were looking to kill from the outset.

The woman who the dragon wants to take over want herself to kill the dragon just for existing. Why do you consider one of them evil but not the other? I find that interesting, 'cause the way I remember it (been a long time since I played it) was that I felt no sympathy for the human woman since her sole quest was just to kill all dragons she found, good or bad, and that's more like genocide (dragoncide?) than being heoric and good.

But I might misremember, 'twas a long time ago as said.
    kanisatha
    @Skatan I don't remember getting that impression, but its also been while since I played as well. If that's the case however, that mean we have two beings who want to kill the other just for existing. So really, neither of them are noble. Guess I won't have to think as hard about it on my next playthrough.
    Skatan
    OK, had to share this one because it made me laugh. Not really a spoiler, but I hid it anyways. It's a just a little one off joke I came across.

I was playing an Orlan and when talking to a mechanical fortune teller, this dialog option came up.

ThacoBellSkatanBelgarathMTH

OK, had to share this one because it made me laugh. Not really a spoiler, but I hid it anyways. It's a just a little one off joke I came across.

I was playing an Orlan and when talking to a mechanical fortune teller, this dialog option came up.

hahaha!
    I met that guy/animat playing and I thought that was hilarous even without the orlan choice.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @DrHappyAngry ,
    You know that's a pop culture reference to the Tom Hanks movie "Big", right? In the movie, he gets changed from child to adult by telling one of those carnival booth mechanical fortune tellers, "I wish I was big."
    ThacoBell

@DrHappyAngry ,

You know that's a pop culture reference to the Tom Hanks movie "Big", right? In the movie, he gets changed from child to adult by telling one of those carnival booth mechanical fortune tellers, "I wish I was big."

Of course, that's what made it funny enough for me to want to share it. I was telling a friend about it, and he was disappointed it didn't turn you into Tom Hanks and make you work for a toy company.

Too bad the mechanical fortune teller's response was "I don't really think I can help you with that."

Not related, but this made me laugh, too

ThacoBellBelgarathMTH
    Any situation with Eder and fluffy animals is golden.
    DrHappyAngry
    So I've got to say, the addition of more NPCs, plus multi-classing and the different factions really adds to the game's replayability. I'm on the my third playthrough now. I've finished the game as a fighter/rogue, assassin/cipher and am now on a wizard/druid. The wizard/druid gets crazy, since you can literally do anything yourself. I'm not into solo playthroughs, since I enjoy having a party, but if I were going to do one, I'd probably consider a druid/wizard. You've got tons of damage/debuffing/summons with a bit of healing from the druid spells, plus with spirit shift you can melee it up. With buffs, you can even tank.

I think they made the right decision having varying amounts of backstory on the henchmen. Some are companions, with lots of dialog and their own side quests. Others are side kicks which have some lines, but not as much background. I appreciate the variety it offers.

I still need to try not taking Xoti the cleric along. I've been reluctant to dump the main healer, but I think Pallegina as a herald with the Tekehu as a druid, it should be fine. Next playthrough I may give that a go. Maybe give a fighter/monk a shot for my main char.

I haven't been completionist on any of my runs, but I try to change up some of the stuff I do, and hit places I didn't in other playthroughs. I still hit the level cap before the end.
    ThacoBelllolienSkatankanisatha
    I'm about 20-25 or so hours into my first playthrough (monk/druid) and I think I will actually play more than once. So far I've gone straight for Neketaka and are cleaning out area by area there, as per my usual modus operandi, and I'm about level.. 9 I think. I haven't done any ship-thingies nor proceeded the story past talking to
    the queen of neketaka
    so I think there's plenty of different ways I could play this game without being bored.

Playing Pallagina as singleclass Paladin makes me want to play a monk/paladin multiclass. I think they would synergize well, or maybe paladin with something else that's beefy since they get so insanely good defenses.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Pallagina can be a multiclass fighter/paladin, and that is how I will use her on my next playthrough. Paladins get rather a lot of active abilities which don't really suit how I would want to play.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @DrHappyAngry Is that portrait style a part of the vanilla game, or is it a mod?
    @JuliusBorisov The Orlan portrait was in the game, I found the other one on the obsidian boards in one of the portrait threads.

During conversations, you get a different portrait that's a water color style. Portraits have 2 more versions than PoE1 for the water color style. Nothing requires a custom portrait to be water colored, but all the existing conversation portraits are so it fits.

Also if running Linux, and I'd suspect OS X, make sure custom portraits don't have any capital letters in their file names, otherwise you just get an empty white box.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, but if you have the game on Steam, there is a Scavenger Hunt mini-game on the official Deadfire website. You simply have to link you Steam account with your Obsidian account, and then it starts. There are 55 codes to enter, all provided nicely here. They will net you ten new minor items, from pets to rings to cloaks to sails:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/95782-the-deadfire-scavenger-codes-we-found-them-all-cutthroat-cosmo-bonus-pets/
    loliendeltago