Comments

• MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    mlnevese said:

Malicron said:

deltago said:

DrakeICN said:

lroumen said:

They'll make nwnee dlcs from here on

Oh God NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Please tell me it is not so!
    They have a team of writers who have been sitting around for over a year now doing something. Can’t be much writing in Axis and Allies.
    It's probably too much to hope that they're expanding Throne of Bhaal into a full game, isn't it?
    If they did it I would buy that in preorder... Anyway I think they are working on a new 5th edition title...
    I'd love a 5E game. I doubt it'll happen after the cluster-&^%$ that was Sword Coast Legends, but I can dream...
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    Malicron said:

mlnevese said:

Malicron said:

deltago said:

DrakeICN said:

lroumen said:

They have a team of writers who have been sitting around for over a year now doing something. Can’t be much writing in Axis and Allies.
    It's probably too much to hope that they're expanding Throne of Bhaal into a full game, isn't it?
    If they did it I would buy that in preorder... Anyway I think they are working on a new 5th edition title...
    I'd love a 5E game. I doubt it'll happen after the cluster-&^%$ that was Sword Coast Legends, but I can dream...
    That game wasnt 5th edition
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    edited May 2018
    DrakeICN said:

lroumen said:

I still check back from time to time hoping that I'm wrong but I think this is it. It's either NWN or Axis and Allies, neither of which interest me in the least.

I think the party's over. Perhaps they will have a flood of fans hankerin' for NWN's gorgeous graphics and smooth as butter interface but I doubt it.

At this point the best thing for the future of IE games would be for the company to fold and a new one to take its place. Beamdog was a great idea that was poorly executed.

I wish all the employees well, hope they all find great jobs and thank them for improving my favorite game.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636

At this point the best thing for the future of IE games would be for the company to fold and a new one to take its place. Beamdog was a great idea that was poorly executed.

There NEVER was a future for IE games...

deltagoQuartz
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @killerrabbit So Beamdog should close down because you don't like the game they are currently working on? Wow...
    Malicronrapsam2003gugulug5000
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    @ThacoBell

No, I wouldn't wish unemployment on anyone. But I really don't think there is a enough interest in NWN DLCs for them to survive. May they prove me wrong.

I think MMORPGs are a crowded field and I just don't think that many people are feeling nostalgic for one the ugliest and clunkiest engines ever made. Again, time will tell.

What I do fear that people are going to see the failure of BD as a failure for this model. The original BD idea can be done well -- form a small company, set up a cooperative network, create content for well loved games. It will work. Steal this idea. A cooperative network of programmers can produce more content, better and faster than the big guys.

But I don't think BD ever set up such a network. And decisions like "revive NWN" and "lets make Axis and Allies" aren't sound business decisions. There is more interest in IE content than NWN content but BD staff prefer to program for the NWN engine. So we get NWN. Or someone gets NWN, I'm going to pass. So BD -- and not I -- are deciding to put all their chips on red.

And for their sake, I hope the marble does land on red. I just don't think it will.
    kanisathaRaduziel
    I think you live in a bit of a fantasy land, but that's fine. @killerrabbit
    Dev6scriverThacoBell
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    umm...

https://www.beamdog.com/jobs/23

Beamdog is looking for experienced programmers with a strong eye for design to help us build incredible new user experiences for classic Dungeons & Dragons titles. You'll get to help us bring classic Infinity Engine games to console, working alongside a team of designers and artists as we engineer an all-new way to enjoy these games. You'll work on cool new products for Nintendo Switch, Playstation 4, Xbox One and more!

I don't know what I think of this....

Wouldn't it be easier to start with controller support for Steam on these games then diving head first into porting these titles?
    SkatanNimrankanisathaNonnahswriter
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited June 2018
    To be fair, Baldur's Gate was originally planned to be released on the Playstation 1 as well. The prototype of it still haunts the darkest places of the interweb. And footage on youtube of it also persist to this day.

But honestly this move now is nothing but further milking the cash cows. Can't say I will purchase something like console releases at all if I already own the desktop ones.
    semiticgoddessNonnahswriter
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    Ah, but you missed the keysentence and keyword here (I hope):
    deltago said:

as we engineer an all-new way to enjoy these games

You'll work on cool new products for Nintendo Switch, Playstation 4, Xbox One and more!

They maybe gonna actionify BG to make it work on PS4 controllers audiences. Might just work, for instance Champions of Norrath was a great game!
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    helmo1977 said:

Malicron said:

mlnevese said:

Malicron said:

deltago said:

DrakeICN said:

lroumen said:

That game wasnt 5th edition
    It was barely DnD :p
  • RodrianRodrian Member Posts: 426
    . .and now it's gone forever [*]
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    deltago said:

umm...

https://www.beamdog.com/jobs/23

Beamdog is looking for experienced programmers with a strong eye for design to help us build incredible new user experiences for classic Dungeons & Dragons titles. You'll get to help us bring classic Infinity Engine games to console, working alongside a team of designers and artists as we engineer an all-new way to enjoy these games. You'll work on cool new products for Nintendo Switch, Playstation 4, Xbox One and more!

I don't know what I think of this....

Wouldn't it be easier to start with controller support for Steam on these games then diving head first into porting these titles?

More evidence that BD has abandoned any and all plans for creating new games. I read this as an admission that they are incapable of doing anything original. NwNEE DLCs and IE console ports are all we'll be getting from them.
    Kamigoroshi
    kanisatha said:

More evidence that BD has abandoned any and all plans for creating new games. I read this as an admission that they are incapable of doing anything original. NwNEE DLCs and IE console ports are all we'll be getting from them.

So, basically, the product they intend to work on and support for awhile now, that's what you're buying? Why exactly are you complaining about that?

DrakeICN

kanisatha said:

So, basically, the product they intend to work on and support for awhile now, that's what you're buying? Why exactly are you complaining about that?

Exactly! We have companies making Pillars of Eternity, Shadowrun, Divinity: Original Sin and also great independent titles like Paper Sorcerer, Eschalon and Avalon. There is room for one company improving the old classics. Now, don't get me wrong, I would love to see something new, or an Arcanum remake rather than a NWN minor graphic improvement (when indeed what NWN needed was a complete overhaul of the shitty combat system), HOWEVER, if BD keeps playing around with the IE engine, well, that too is fine with me. You acting like there are no RPGs out there other than what BD produce, but that is simply not true. The RPG scene has never been as vibrant as it is right here, right now!
    rapsam2003StummvonBordwehrShapiroKeatsDarkMageQuartz
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    I would love a new version of Arcanum.
    MateoFrozenDrakeICNArdul
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676

Most likely not happening, unfortunately..
    Probably wouldn't be that profitable either.
    batoor said:

Most likely not happening, unfortunately..
    Probably wouldn't be that profitable either.
    Yeah, I mean, it's such a great (but flawed) game. It didn't sell well, back in the day, unfortunately. Of course, Troika Games had a reputation for very buggy games. So, I'm not surprised they went out of business after creating only 3 games.
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    Best news ever and hope xbox is first!
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Troika Games developed Vampire: Bloodlines and Temple of Elemental Evil.

I really should give this Arkanum a try.
    ThacoBell
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    VtM: Bloodlines is still one of the best games ever made.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMageRaduzielKamigoroshiThacoBell
    Raduziel said:

The problem with Troika games is that they look like they are still in the beta phase.
    DrakeICNThacoBelldeltagoSkatan

Raduziel said:

The problem with Troika games is that they look like they are still in the beta phase.
    At the risk of nagging, this is exactly why Arcanum needs an EE. Combat is broken and spellcasters are MUCH more powerful than techies (not that it matters anyway, since, again, combat is broken anyway).
    KamigoroshiShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    edited June 2018
    ToEE definitely deserves an EE. Even VtM:B (but I believe it would be out of Beamdog's scope).

Fallout 1 and 2 deserves some EE love too.

A man can dream.
    Post edited by Raduziel on
    Aedan
    Raduziel said:

ToEE definitely deserves an EE. Even VtM:B (but I believe it would be out of Beamdog's scope).

Fallout 1 and 2 should deserves some EE love too.

A man can dream.

If they fix FO1 and 2 clunky interface then i'll but them.
    edited June 2018

Raduziel said:

Fallout 1 and 2 should deserves some EE love too.

A man can dream.

If they fix FO1 and 2 clunky interface then i'll but them.
    Fixing FO1 and 2, adding the cut content and full party control.

I would have to play it using diapers.

There are two expansions ready to go for those games (Fallout 1.5: Resurrection and Fallout 3: Van Buren).
    Skatan
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    DrakeICN said:

kanisatha said:

Exactly! We have companies making Pillars of Eternity, Shadowrun, Divinity: Original Sin and also great independent titles like Paper Sorcerer, Eschalon and Avalon. There is room for one company improving the old classics. Now, don't get me wrong, I would love to see something new, or an Arcanum remake rather than a NWN minor graphic improvement (when indeed what NWN needed was a complete overhaul of the shitty combat system), HOWEVER, if BD keeps playing around with the IE engine, well, that too is fine with me. You acting like there are no RPGs out there other than what BD produce, but that is simply not true. The RPG scene has never been as vibrant as it is right here, right now!
    Well, (A) while I love all the other cRPGs being released right now, I still feel very strongly about playing a D&D/FR 5e cRPG because that system and setting are especially near and dear to me; and (B) exactly such a game is what BD very strongly suggested they were going to be making, going on two years now. So I think it is eminently reasonable for me to feel like BD has been stringing me along.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    kanisatha said:

DrakeICN said:

kanisatha said:

Well, (A) while I love all the other cRPGs being released right now, I still feel very strongly about playing a D&D/FR 5e cRPG because that system and setting are especially near and dear to me; and (B) exactly such a game is what BD very strongly suggested they were going to be making, going on two years now. So I think it is eminently reasonable for me to feel like BD has been stringing me along.
    I really want a videogame where i can play as a Dragonborn (no, not Skyrim).
    kanisatha
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    kanisatha said:

DrakeICN said:

kanisatha said:

Well how long does it take to make a large scale wrpg? How much time would be added for a small studio. I feel like 2 years development time is the bare minimum to put out something of really good quality for even a large studio.