Skip to content

Saddest Baldur's Gate Moment (Spoilers)

What, in your opinion was the saddest moment in Baldur's Gate? There were certainly a few, some were straightforward and others were subtle, but the road to the end of the story is a tragic one for many.
  1. Saddest Baldur's Gate Moment (Spoilers)70 votes
    1. Gorion's Death
        4.29%
    2. Dynaheir's Death
        1.43%
    3. Khalid's Death
      17.14%
    4. Yoshimo's Betrayal
      20.00%
    5. Viconia's Death
        5.71%
    6. Keldorn's Death
        2.86%
    7. I Do Not Remember Your Love, Ellesime
        8.57%
    8. Other
      40.00%
mashedtaterslolienProontJuliusBorisovkanisathaAnduinAedan

Comments

• ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    Yoshimo's death is definitely a sad one. It was my first major tragedy in fiction that I had to go through. It was tough.
    ThacoBellmashedtaters
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    edited June 2018
    @ZaramMaldovar They ALL act normal until you get to the catacombs. Parda, and I think at least one other named npc can mention to you how Candlekeep feels "wrong" and has for some time. If everyone was okay and their normal selves, this wouldn't be the case, as nothing else seems off. Notice how the only named NPCs who DON'T show up as doppleganers later, are the ones who act like someone is wrong and have been on their guard. Everyone else who acts like nothing has changed, are all the npcs who show up as doppleganers.
    ZaramMaldovarmashedtatersMontresor_SPProont
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    The Longer Road mod & a nice little bit of fanfic called Bitter Grey Ashes explore this theme a bit more.

http://www.onlinefiction.net/Ashes/BitterAshes.html
    mashedtaterslolienProont
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    edited June 2018
    Glad I lead the Irenicus charge.

To be less verbose than mashedtaters, the speech with that line summed it up.

"I do not remember your love, Ellesime.
    For years I clung to the memory of it.
    Then the memory OF the memory.
    And now, nothing. It is gone, a hollow dead thing."
    Montresor_SPProontZaramMaldovar
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    The sacking of Saradush. All your brothers and sisters :'(

Also, I absolutely do not see the point in killing Gromnir Il-Khan. If the game had the option, I would have negotiated with him instead. When he tells you Melissan is the bad guy... uhhh... gal, I believed him. I wanted to ally with him instead. And killing all these guards just to get to him, thereby weakening Saradush's defenses urgh. The canon Bhaalspawn must have a wisdom of 5.

I wonder how many Bhaalspawn need to die to make ascension to Godhood possible? Because, I would have killed that many Bhaalspawn and no one more, and I would kill the most asshole ones first, going after the nice ones only once I ran out of assholes. I mean, yeah, of course I want to ascend and if you have to break a few eggs while making an omelette, so be it. It's just I would be as smart as I could about it.
    Montresor_SPlolienProontgorgonzola
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @DrakeICN
    DrakeICN said:

I wonder how many Bhaalspawn need to die to make ascension to Godhood possible?

All of them, that was Bhaal's plan from the beginning. By the end of the game the only Bhaalspawn that remain are you and possibly Imoen and once Mellisan kills the party she has all of Bhaal's essence in order to ascend to Godhood.

If Mellisan didn't betray Bhaal, then it would still be neccesary for you and all the other Bhaalspawn to die in order for Bhaal to return.

At the end of the game the only reason you are able to ascend to Godhood is because you are given all of the Bhaalspawn Essence.

Sarevok lost his after you killed him.
    Imoen gave hers up.
    Everyone else is dead.

O_BruceThacoBellProont
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    edited June 2018
    I think emotionally, I need to look at my very first play through as a kid. Gorion died before I knew much about him... Khalid... Well I kinda fancied Jaheira and obviously hadn't played SOD, Dynaheir.. without bgnpc project, I didn't feel much emotion. So, truly the sadest moment for me was probably reaching Spellhold to find Imoen mentally broken. Seconded by killing Yoshimo. Third... Viconia epilogue.
    BelgarathMTHThacoBellProont
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Grond0 said:

It's hard to look past Bambi's mother :p.

Or Simba's father.
    ThacoBellProontMontresor_SP
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

@ThacoBell
    Fair enough, but I stand by my statement that the Greater Doppleganger appearing as Elminster is evidence that dopplegangers don't have to kill someone to take their form.

That being said, the only instance of this is the Greater Doppleganger, so you may be right.

True, but Elminster also isn't a resident of Candlekeep and is never seen within its walls. Nobody would have interacted with him enough know sometihng was wrong, except for maybe poor Gorion. Though I would like to see a Doppleganer TRY to kill him.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    I voted Yoshimo but I have to admit that the 4th time I kill Elminster using traps with my solo Bounty Hunter really brings a tear to my eye...
    Montresor_SPGrond0Proont
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714

Prove your innocence.

That's not how a legal system works.
    ProontThacoBellsemiticgoddessmashedtaters
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I'm sure it works that way sometimes in the US
    mashedtatersProont
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2018

SethDavis said:

How do we know Elminster hasnt been a doppleganger the whole time?

@elminster , you have been accused of thought-crimes and of impersonating an archmage. Prove your innocence.
    May I perchance suggest that if a hamster seeks to require such proof, that they themselves seem a bit suspect. Unless of course thou are one of the most famed Miniature Giant Space Hamsters - said to be able to contemplate on many manners.

(Though this seems unlikely). :)
    Post edited by elminster on
    ProontMontresor_SP