Skip to content

I DID IT!

Rolled on a Human Cavalier. This is the first time I've ever seen 3 digits.

Ha HAH!
AstroBryGuyronaldoRaduzielbleusteelGreenWarlockNonnahswriterStummvonBordwehrMathsorcererMontresor_SPGrond0mashedtatersJuliusBorisovlost1dunbarOrlonKronsteenThacoBellGusindasarevok57AnduinAedanUnderstandMouseMagicdeltago[Deleted User]Son_of_ImoenlolienDemwar

Comments

• LoldrupLoldrup Member Posts: 291
    why no 18 in constitution?
    mashedtaters
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    Congratulations! One of these days I will get there myself...
    StorytellermashedtatersThacoBellDemwar
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Sadly, my first reaction on seeing that was to want to start a new game just to roll yet another character (surely this time....)
    OrlonKronsteenThacoBell
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I got a 101 on a paladin once, a long time ago. When I clicked the strength to 18, it was 18/02. Wraah, wraah, wraaah. I still played it, though.

Let us know what strength bonus you got with yours.
    Dev6OrlonKronsteenThacoBellmashedtaters
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    I don't think I've ever rolled anything above 92 LOL
    ThacoBellAnduinYaksha
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Welcome to the 3 digit club!
  • JDowJDow Member Posts: 71
    Great roll Storyteller. I once did masses of rolls over three days trying to roll an ultra-high stat paladin like yours. I finally got that "big roll" and shouted out in surprised joy. As you do. My wife was driving and we were on a motorway. She nearly crashed the car because I scared her. (Obviously I was on BG on a laptop).
    ThacoBellGrond0OrlonKronsteen
    Also in the 99 club :)
    One 99, one 98, and several 97s, all with the EE. I think I had only one roll creep into the 90s with BG classic.
    sarevok57mashedtaters
  • MonotremataMonotremata Member Posts: 78
    edited June 2018

And you managed to not click "reroll"...

You, good sir, deserve a beer. :)

I don't know how many times Ive sat there just clicking reroll like a machine, and hitting great numbers yet still in the motions of constantly hitting reroll and lost it hahaha. The last time I played a Wizardry game I lost sooooooo many good character classes that way I think I ended up cheating in the end with a character editor to make everyone fit what class I wanted.

I think I had only one roll creep into the 90s with BG classic.

I haven't played it in years, but I seem to remember rolling didn't even matter in the original. Im pretty sure you could just manipulate your points after you rolled and do what you wanted with it. I know I didn't roll it, but my original BG character was a Ranger that had a crapload of 18s because it let me just add points to it before it was finished.
    mashedtaters
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    lroumen said:

I make up text as I go and my wife thinks I am nuts.

But she hasn't had you committed. Ahhhh, true love...

ThacoBelllroumenlolien

I haven't played it in years, but I seem to remember rolling didn't even matter in the original. Im pretty sure you could just manipulate your points after you rolled and do what you wanted with it. I know I didn't roll it, but my original BG character was a Ranger that had a crapload of 18s because it let me just add points to it before it was finished.

There was a cheat you could enable to set all stats to 18 with Ctrl-8, although I did not know about it at the time. Otherwise, you were restricted to the total you rolled, although you can move the numbers around freely without breaking class minima. The big difference to EE is that the stat total was not displayed, you had to figure the good rolls from all 6 stats yourself :). I get the impression the EE games roll higher, but that could just be that I cycle many more rolls with the easily readable total.
    ThacoBell
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Before the counter, I’d set all the stats to 10 first and just use the remainder as a visual cue. 24 would be the sweet spot. One 18, two 16s and a 14 (or dropping one of the dump stats to 9 - but never 8 for a 15, 17, or 19).

It was slow, time consuming but forced me to play characters that were not ideal as getting an 84 in the first couple of roles were rare and I’d settle for an 81 or 82 (3 sixteens with 3 tens).

If I was playing a paladin, ranger or bard (classes that had high minimum stats) I would just look at that dump stat (INT for Pali/ranger, Wis for bard) first and if it was 15 or higher, I’d stop as that alone would probably give me enough points to boost any stat that rolled minimum no math needed.

Now with the counter it is rolling till I hit 84/85 and I am looking for only that. I roll past 90s as I am not looking for them.
    GreenWarlock
  • MonotremataMonotremata Member Posts: 78

There was a cheat you could enable to set all stats to 18 with Ctrl-8, although I did not know about it at the time. Otherwise, you were restricted to the total you rolled, although you can move the numbers around freely without breaking class minima. The big difference to EE is that the stat total was not displayed, you had to figure the good rolls from all 6 stats yourself :). I get the impression the EE games roll higher, but that could just be that I cycle many more rolls with the easily readable total.

Oooh I never knew about that cheat haha. Maybe I just rolled high enough I got it the way I wanted. I vaguely remember making my initial character (this was when the game was released and Im way old now so memory and all...) but I could've sworn it just let me add whatever after the fact. Maybe I did roll a super character and had enough points to 18 a bunch of stuff.
    GreenWarlock
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859
    ThacoBell said:

I got so sick of counting all my rolls that I just started going "okay, I'll count if I have three stats at 15 or higher" etc.

I still remember my method. Automatically dump anything with more than two scores in single digits, since the best that roll could be is just 81. For everything left, add all the ones digits and subtract ten for every single-digit score.
    OrlonKronsteenThacoBell
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    If I remember well, my method for quickly judging how high a roll I got is put up two stats to 18 and see what's left, that way, you only need to judge four numbers if they're good or not. If they seemed good, I set all scores to 15 and check what was left to play around with or how much was lacking to put all to 15 (all 15's meaning a total of 90 of course).
    ThacoBell
    I got pretty good at averaging adjacent numbers, to see if we hit an average of 14/stat, which was deemed crazy-high back in the day. First filter was also no more than one single-digit stat, which should be an 8 or a 9. The EE is adding 1.5 -2.0 per stat, on average, to my characters since, just from that easy total check!
    OrlonKronsteen
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks the EEs give higher rolls. Maybe it's because of the new kits with minimum stats, like the Blackguard which gives you a min 14 Cha just for starters.
    OrlonKronsteenGreenWarlock
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    I was prepared to roll for a long time to get good results from the original game - typically about half an hour per character I should think. I would often be looking for a score of 91 or more in order to be able to get every stat to a minimum of 19 (using the Rod of Terror in BG2 to wrap charisma round to 25).

To do that I would view 3 scores, which was the most I could focus on reliably at once (though sometimes I did seem to manage to look at 4 at once). Normally I started with the top 3 scores, but I moved focus around over time to keep things fresh ;). Anything less than 40 I would immediately reroll on the grounds that the chances of the remaining scores getting the total over 91 was too low to bother with, while with higher scores I would scan down the remaining scores, deliberately trying to look one at a time in order to keep the suspense high - will that final score be the 18 still required, or not?

My peripheral vision was also good enough to see immediately whether any of the other scores were single figure ones and seeing those would normally trigger a reroll as well, though if I'd already spotted very high scores from the 3 being focused on I might abort that impulse.

I like mental arithmetic and doing all that instant addition helped keep my abilities sharp. Sadly, things are deteriorating now that all I'm looking at with rerolls is a single figure B).
    GreenWarlockOrlonKronsteenJuliusBorisovlolien
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
    StummvonBordwehrRaduzielGreenWarlock
  • ValciValci Member Posts: 35
    Just got my highest ever roll (I think) at 96 on my fresh half-elven blade. In generally happy with anything above an 88 or so and don't roll specifically for 90+ but it's nice to get. Hopefully I will see a three digit roll one day... Must be like finding the Holy Grail... lol
    ThacoBellGreenWarlock