Skip to content

The World Cup 2018 - Discussion, Opinions, and Prediction game

Comments

• Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    So, third time in a row that the reigning world champions are out after the group stage...
    JuliusBorisovGrond0StummvonBordwehr
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    Well it's only fair...greedy to win twice heh.

Uruguay for the cup!!

Also... Go Brasil.... I have my cerveja and pipoca pronto :p
    Montresor_SPJuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    The last four European teams to go into the WC tournament as champions have now gone out in the group stage.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12098/11418964/germany8217s-world-cup-exit-what-went-wrong-for-the-champions

"Victory at the Confederations Cup had hinted that the younger players were ready. It was achieved under the captaincy of Julian Draxler and without Neuer, Boateng, Hummels, Kroos, Khedira, Muller or Ozil in the squad. All seven were restored to the starting line-up for the first game at this World Cup. With it, that sense of renewal was lost."
    FinneousPJSkatanStummvonBordwehrMontresor_SP
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I think it's time for Löw to go.
    SkatanJuliusBorisov
    @Skatan Congrats neighbours but you screwed us all over with the predictions
    JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehrSkatanMontresor_SP
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited June 2018
    CAN'T POST TOO DRUNK GO HRAZIL!!!×!÷×!!
    FinneousPJSkatanMontresor_SPStummvonBordwehr
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited June 2018
    Here's the new table, including the overall score (based on day by day predictions and teams to qualify from the group):

Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    SkatanMontresor_SPStummvonBordwehr
    ;_;
    @JuliusBorisov Didn't I predict Meixco correct from G6?
    JuliusBorisov
    edited June 2018
    Yes, sorry, got distracted: both you and Doubledimas should have +4 points for Mexico. Sorry, will edit tomorrow.

EDIT: Fixed.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    It's been an interesting group phase. Many shocks threatening to happen, but most not quite actually happening till now. I might post some predictions from the second round on, I feel like I understand the teams a bit better now :).
    fluke13StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisovMontresor_SP
    edited June 2018
    So, it looks like it's Colombia and Japan on to the round of 16.

Both Japan and Senegal end with 4 points and a score of 4-4. They drew against each other so the 2nd place in group H is decided by which team has the best Fair Play record (i.e., received the fewest yellow and red cards).

EDIT: I think this gives England and Belgium something to play for tonight. The winner of that match meets Japan in the next match; the loser will play Colombia. With all due respect for Japan, Colombia is in my opinion a stronger team.
    Post edited by Montresor_SP on
    JuliusBorisov
    Surreal end to Japan v Poland. Even the Japanese I was watching the game with were urging Japan to attack just in case...
    JuliusBorisovMontresor_SP
    edited June 2018
    I think for both teams it might be actually better to not win this match, they'll be better in another part of the tournament (you know, the one without Portugal, France, Argentina, Brazil).
    FinneousPJMontresor_SPStummvonBordwehr
    Hmmm... Good point!

Here is an overview of the knockout stage, nicked from Wikipedia.

JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehr
    edited June 2018
    For the Germans

Montresor_SPSkatan
    edited June 2018
    Here's the latest prediction table:

I wonder, - not for the prediction game (as there're no points for that according to the starting rules), just for curiosity, - what would users' favourite be now, after the group stage, and with that knockout draw?

I would pick a France - Croatia final right now (with France as a winner), but will support Sweden, Croatia and Portugal.
    FinneousPJMontresor_SPGrond0
    edited June 2018
    Sorry, there's a mistake again: Cahir and Montresor_SP chose Poland Senegal to progress, so they have 4 points less compared the table.

EDIT: fixed.
    Montresor_SP
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Uruguay Vs Portugal : 2-1 for Uruguay
    FinneousPJMontresor_SPStummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisov

I wonder, - not for the prediction game (as there're no points for that according to the starting rules), just for curiosity, - what would users' favourite be now, after the group stage, and with that knockout draw?

I would pick a France - Croatia final right now (with France as a winner), but will support Sweden, Croatia and Portugal.

Uruguay and Croatia are looking really strong at the moment. It's too bad Croatia has to play Denmark next. If I were making new predictions now, I would probably go with Uruguay, Croatia, Belgium and Colombia as the semifinalists.
    JuliusBorisovMontresor_SP
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,342
    This world cup is getting weirder by the hour, the teams dont play that well and there have been many upsets already. But the world cup has been a succes so far. Focus has been on the teams and football, so my hats of to Russia for keeping it that way - if only they hadnt invited Maradona (sorry to say...)

My predictions for the next round
    Fra - arg: 2-0
    Uru - por: 1:1 (Portugal on penalties)
    Spa - rus: 2:0
    Cro - den: 2:0 ( :'( )
    Bra - mex: 3:1
    Bel - jap: 2:1
    Swe - swi: 1-0
    Eng - col: 1-2

@JuliusBorisov
    I still think Spain is a solid bet for the cup...

Ps: I am still missing the disaprove button for the scoreboard... :s

FinneousPJJuliusBorisovMontresor_SP
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Uru - por: 2:1
    Spa - rus: 2:0
    Cro - den: 2:0
    Bra - mex: 1:0
    Bel - jap: 3:0
    Swe - swi: 1-0
    Eng - col: 2-1
    Uru - por: 1-2
    Spa - rus: 2-0
    Cro - den: 2-1
    Bra - mex: 2-0
    Bel - jap: 1-0
    Swe - sui: 1-2
    Eng - col: 1-1 (Col on penalties :))
    edited June 2018
    I hope everyone remember the rules we've set as a result of the discussion:

For the matches after the group phase:
    guessing the right outcome and the right score should be done only regarding normal time (so it can be only this way: team A wins in normal time; team B wins in normal time, a draw in normal time)

So if one of the predictions above are for the overall result, please edit it. :smile:

Uruguay - Portugal 1:1 (not for the prediction game - I think Portugal will go through thanks to the Ronaldo factor; Uruguay have been strong but they haven't played against a top team yet; Portugal are the Euro champions, they know how to play playoff games)

France - Argentina 2:1 (France gave some rest to their stars to have additionals days for preparation; I don't feel Argentina wouldn't score, though; no extra time here)

Spain - Russia 2:1 (Spain always look like they're going to concede at least one goal; but still they seem to be able to handle a lesser team)

Croatia - Denmark 1:0 (I hope Croatia won't stop playing strongly)

Brazil - Mexico 1:1 (well, Mexico had their alarm call; they just have to play consistenly during the whole game, not only during the first half; I believe Brazil will go through in extra time)

Belgium - Japan 2:0 (this one looks straightforward for me)

Sweden - Switzerland 1:1 (the men are not ready to go out, not yet; but Switzerland can hold their line; this can go well into the penalty shootout; I'd pick Sweden there)

Columbia - England 1:2 (so, we all know how England play their playoff games; but Columbia certainly have problems, eg. James has an injury; England also rested their main players, so they should be fine in this particular game)
    FinneousPJGrond0
    I hope most games will be settled in 90 minutes
    JuliusBorisov
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286

I hope most games will be settled in 90 minutes

So do I.

JuliusBorisov
    Let's make some guesses (no need to put me in the race tho'!)

Uruguay Portugal - a 1-1 draw won by Portugal in extra time.

Fra- Arg, a 1-1 draw going to penalties. Maybe the Argies there. Or France will explode into coherence...

Spain 3 Russia 1.

Croatia 2 Denmark 0.

Brazil 2 Mexico 1.

Belgium 3 Japan 0.

Sweden 1 Switzerland 1. (Maybe even 0-0, going to penalties where Swiss may have the edge. Swedes more likely to win in normal time though.)

Colombia 1 England 2.
    France-Argentina: 2-1. France hasn't been that strong but unless the Argentinians come up with a better plan than "Pass the ball to Messi and let him do everything himself", it's France to the quarter final.

Uruguay-Portugal: 1-1. Uruguay has a strong defense and Portugal has Ronaldo. It looks like an even match. Bonus prediction: Portugal wins in extra time or on penalties.

Spain-Russia: 3-1. Spain is stronger but Russia is playing at home.

Croatia-Denmark: 1-0. The nationalist in me hopes Denmark wins but the player in me goes for points in the prediction game and Croatia is better on most positions. Denmark has a strong defense and Kasper Schmeichel and only loses by one goal.

Brasil-Mexico: 2-0. Brasil is the stronger team.

Belgium-Japan: 2-0. Belgium is stronger but they don't score a lot of goals.

Sweden-Switzerland: 0-0. Both teams are stronger on defense than on offense. If I have to predict who wins on extra time or penalties, it's Switzerland.

England-Colombia: 1-2. Colombia will prove effective against a British style. Or not; I've been more wrong than right this time around. :wink:
    JuliusBorisovGrond0