Politics. The feel in your country.

Comments

• TakisMegasTakisMegas Member Posts: 835
    edited July 2018

Comment rescinded. There is no point.
    Post edited by TakisMegas on
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited July 2018
    Look at this forum that is being handed to parents whose children have been taken. They are being given two choices: 1.) Your child can have an asylum hearing, but you will be deported and ostensibly never see them again. Or 2.) You can reunite with the child, and they will be denied the hearing. This is just straight-up kidnapping, extortion, and hostage taking at this point. Happy 4th of July:

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4573309-Separated-Parent-Removal-Form.html
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited July 2018

Look at this forum that is being handed to parents whose children have been taken. They are being given two choices: 1.) Your child can have an asylum hearing, but you will be deported and ostensibly never see them again. Or 2.) You can reunite with the child, and they will be denied the hearing. This is just straight kidnapping, extortion, and hostage taking at this point:

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4573309-Separated-Parent-Removal-Form.html

And the child concentration cages, I've heard them called Trump camps, are but one reason Trump is described as having nazi tendencies. Also he retwees and employs (and pardoned) people with white supremacist alt right racist anti-Semitic ties. Not to mention his "there's some good people" on the nazi side equivacation about Charlottesville.

If you don't want to be compared to a nazi, don't do the nazi stuff. It's simple. I get some people want to like him because he's ostensibly on your team. He's not. He's on his own side and will happily toss your interests aside when it suits him.
    edited July 2018

Look at this forum that is being handed to parents whose children have been taken. They are being given two choices: 1.) Your child can have an asylum hearing, but you will be deported and ostensibly never see them again. Or 2.) You can reunite with the child, and they will be denied the hearing. This is just straight kidnapping, extortion, and hostage taking at this point:

And the child concentration cages, I've heard them called Trump camps, are but one reason Trump is described as having nazi tendencies. Also he retwees and employs (and pardoned) people with white supremacist alt right racist anti-Semitic ties. Not to mention his "there's some good people" on the nazi side equivacation about Charlottesville.

If you don't want to be compared to a nazi, don't do the nazi stuff. It's simple. I get some people want to like him because he's ostensibly on your team. He's not. He's on his own side and will happily toss your interests aside when it suits him.
    Honestly. WTF IS Nazi stuff?

His daughter is a Jew.
    His son in-law is a Jew.
    He works with and has Jewish colleagues.
    He is trying to push the ownership of Jerusalem into the Jewish state.
    He praises Israel as friend and only Democracy in the middle east.

Has Trump gassed anyone? No
    Has he put any of Americas legal citizens into death camps? No
    Has he made a minority in the U.S. to wear specific identifiers? No

When we get to a fascist state in America I will be the first to let you know.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

What's your upper limit on how many people can enter the USA?

It's a quite straightforward question.

Also, why should there be any more consideration given to those who enter from a country next door as opposed to say a continent across a body of water that in this day and age can be crossed easily?

Europe is suffering from an influx of people from Africa.
    Africa's population is exploding and climate change is having an effect.
    How many, to the nearest million, do you think the USA should allow to enter the country?
    They have the money to fly to the USA, the money they pay to people smugglers is far higher than a plane ticket.
    So if you stop people flying to the USA using visa restrictions, what's the difference with a land border?

Perhaps if you gave an answer and laid out what you see as the future population of the US and explained how you will accomodate the x millions who will arrive, then people would listen.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @UnderstandMouseMagic Trump had fewer votes, and won anyway due to how our country counts votes. That alone is going to tick a lot of people off. Trump has done a LOT to be unliked. Its not even a party lines thing, people on all sides of the political spectrum don't like him. Sometimes when people are disliked, they EARNED that dislike.
    ThacoBell said:

@UnderstandMouseMagic Trump had fewer votes, and won anyway due to how our country counts votes. That alone is going to tick a lot of people off. Trump has done a LOT to be unliked. Its not even a party lines thing, people on all sides of the political spectrum don't like him. Sometimes when people are disliked, they EARNED that dislike.

As far as I can tell he won the election as the rules stood.
    Were they changed recently, just before the election, so people weren't aware of how the system worked for the last election?

I'm not seeing dislike in this thread, I'm seeing hysteria.

And the question has to be, where does anybody see this ending?
    Civil war?

• BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    edited July 2018

Were they changed recently, just before the election, so people weren't aware of how the system worked for the last election?

Civil war?

Nope. Rules werent changed. He won. However - between losing the popular vote and the concerns of Russian meddling in the election, the US population is rightfully skeptical of his victory. He absolutely won, but because he won approximately 100,000 votes spread across 3 states, providing an electoral college victory without winning the popular vote. Keep in mind, a US president has been elected without winning the popular vote only 4 times in history, and the last time (2000, Bush) ended in an unmitigated disaster.

As to hysteria - Trump elicits strong reactions. whether it's separating children from their families at the border, seemingly wanton corruption in his administration, and his callous disregard for the truth, it has hit a nerve.

Obviously there wont be a civil war. Nothing will cause that, short of a president refusing to hand over power after an election.

As a side note - The reaction to children being taken from their families and placed in facilities with no plan in place to ensure reunification should be hysteria. There's no justification for it whatsoever.

Civil war?

Nope. Rules werent changed. He won. However - between losing the popular vote and the concerns of Russian meddling in the election, the US population is rightfully skeptical of his victory. He absolutely won, but because he won approximately 100,000 votes spread across 3 states, providing an electoral college victory without winning the popular vote. Keep in mind, a US president has been elected without winning the popular vote only 4 times in history, and the last time (2000, Bush) ended in an unmitigated disaster.

As to hysteria - Trump elicits strong reactions. whether it's separating children from their families at the border, seemingly wanton corruption in his administration, and his callous disregard for the truth, it has hit a nerve.

Obviously there wont be a civil war. Nothing will cause that, short of a president refusing to hand over power after an election.
    Hit a nerve?

What's coming from his opponents sounds like stuff you would hear in a school playground.

If you believe in democracy, then you have to shut up and put up when you lose.

Democracy absolutely depends on accepting losing.
    The reason democracy doesn't work in many countries is because that basic principle isn't accepted. And people reach for the guns and the tanks roll in.

The main reason I hate what I'm reading in this thread is because it's being mirrored in the UK and no Trump will ever threaten democracy as much as people believing that they shouldn't/mustn't/cannot lose because they believe themselves to be morally superior.
    edited July 2018

Hit a nerve?

What's coming from his opponents sounds like stuff you would hear in a school playground.

The reason democracy doesn't work in many countries is because that basic principle isn't accepted. And people reach for the guns and the tanks roll in.

The main reason I hate what I'm reading in this thread is because it's being mirrored in the UK and no Trump will ever threaten democracy as much as people believing that they shouldn't/mustn't/cannot lose because they believe themselves to be morally superior.

Is that what you think a democracy is? The loser just goes home and sleeps for 4 years (Enter number that suits your nation here) until the next election? That's not how it works, and is never how it worked. The opposition has a responsibility to try to influence and mitigate the policies put in place. Also, if you think we sound like kids on a school ground, I guess you havent been watching American politics (I wouldnt blame you) for the past 10 years. Obama's presidency had the same issue from the other side. It's hyper partisanship.

You also scooted right around the fact that there are still very relevant questions to if the victory was aided by foreign meddling. If you lose an election, and it turns out the other side cheats - do you just go home then? I think not.

Sorry the UK isnt exactly what you want it to be. As far as I can tell, the conservative party in the UK has been in power a hell of a lot longer in the last 50 years than the other side. Actually, until I looked at it just now, I didnt realize how monopolized it has been.

Also. Both sides always consider themselves morally superior, because so many political issues are made into moral ones. That's not new.

Did Americans call Obama a nazi too. Didn't know that.

Cant tell if this is a question or not. Do a google search for "Obama Nazi", and you'll return a litany of images that were commonly brought to tea-party rallies in 2010+.

I wont repost them, since they're utterly distasteful - but it gets the idea across.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,314

I'm not sure if this was intended as a response to me, but it was very common for Obama to be compared to Hitler or nazis. This article (from a neutral media watch group) refers to some of the multitude of such comparisons in the first couple of years following Obama's election.
    edited July 2018

Democracy never means having to shut up; it merely means accepting the results of a democratic election. And if you will recall, everyone from Hillary Clinton to Barack Obama to her voters in this very thread, including myself, recognized Trump's victory the very day after the results came in, and we explicitly wished Trump and the nation the best of luck and expressed our support for the democratic process, even though it put into power a man whom we strongly opposed.

You imply that we did not accept Trump's victory. This is false. We did accept it. And again, this happened the very day afterward; it's not like it was some tortured process where the Democratic party had to argue with itself over whether American democracy was legitimate. As Clinton said during the campaign, she would accept the results of the election whether she won or not. Sure enough, she did--as did the rest of us. From the Democratic leadership to the rank and file to individual voters, we did it, just like we said we would.

But accepting the results of American democracy as legitimate does not mean we need to "shut up."

We have the exact same right to criticize the president as we always have. And yes--Trump's dishonesty, his corruption, his incompetence, his lack of foresight, his lack of attention to detail, his lack of personal dignity, his lack of respect for his fellow Americans, his callous disregard for our allies, his unexplained support for our enemies, his record-breaking vacation days, his inability to accept criticism, and his obstruction of justice are all valid issues. We are right to call attention to these things.
    And I'll remind everyone again (since his behavior during the campaign has totally disappeared from view) that Trump stated fairly blatantly, from a Presidential debate stage no less in front of the entire country, that he DIDN'T believe the results would be valid if he lost, citing phantom "millions of illegal voters". I mean, I had forgotten how ridiculous this answer was. He not only doesn't commit to accepting the results of the election, he explicitly states Hillary should not have been ALLOWED to run for President. Watching this now pisses me off even more than it did at the time. He was this way the entire campaign. Of COURSE his Presidency has followed suit. In any sane country, these two answers juxtaposed would have been the end of him. Honestly, if you go back and watch any series of clips from the 3 debates, you will see just how goddamn spot-on Hillary was about nearly everything she said about him and what he would do if he attained the Presidency:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdvHQl6ZVhc

So then American politics is all about crying wolf then. Since Obama nor Trump are/where Nazis. No wonder America is the laughing stock of the world.

Also let me clarify what I mean by crying wolf. The loosing side crying, complaining and playing the victim till they convince enough people to change their vote/political view whether better or worse until the next election.

Instead of coming together and fixing the problems, let's just bitch and moan till nothing gets done.
    You may google Canada, Sweden, Norway and Iceland to see how much more civil societies deal with issues in their own countries first before they start tackling big boy issues like social injustice.
    ( even though Canada has been lacking lately in that department, especially with our groping man child Prime Minister.)
    Grond0 said:

I'm not sure if this was intended as a response to me, but it was very common for Obama to be compared to Hitler or nazis. This article (from a neutral media watch group) refers to some of the multitude of such comparisons in the first couple of years following Obama's election.
    I don't specifically attack people because of their view or political slant. I'm not special nor is it snowing in July.
    edited July 2018

So then American politics is all about crying wolf then. Since Obama nor Trump are/where Nazis. No wonder America is the laughing stock of the world.

Also let me clarify what I mean by crying wolf. The loosing side crying, complaining and playing the victim till they convince enough people to change their vote/political view whether better or worse until the next election.

Instead of coming together and fixing the problems, let's just bitch and moan till nothing gets done.
    You may google Canada, Sweden, Norway and Iceland to see how much more civil societies deal with issues in their own countries first before they start tackling big boy issues like social injustice.
    ( even though Canada has been lacking lately in that department, especially with our groping man child Prime Minister.)

Thanks for the Ad Hominem attack.

The US is in the midst of some really bad hyperpartisanship, but brushing it all under the rug as "playing the victim" is beyond the pale. There are real issues, and it does a disservice to those dealing with those issues if we just ignore them.

To be honest - I'm rather proud that Americans arent just laying down and accepting the current state of affairs.

That's because even the farthest right-wing politicians in those countries would never dare attack the social safety net, especially health-care. In America, we have one party who wants to practically eliminate it entirely (or kill it by 1000 cuts), and one who just struggles to salvage the bare minimum that is already in place. The ruling party in the US spent most of last year determined to TAKE AWAY health care from up to 24 million people. And I'm sure the rest of the world views that as insane, because it is.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Thanks for the Ad Hominem attack.

The US is in the midst of some really bad hyperpartisanship, but brushing it all under the rug as "playing the victim" is beyond the pale.

To be honest - I'm rather proud that Americans arent just laying down and accepting the current state of affairs.
    Alot of them are not American, that's something your President is trying to tell you.

Alot of them are not American, that's something your President is trying to tell you.

I really dont know what you're trying to say.

That's because even the farthest right-wing politicians in those countries would never dare attack the social safety net, especially health-care. In America, we have one party who wants to practically eliminate it entirely (or kill it by 1000 cuts), and one who just struggles to salvage the bare minimum that is already in place. The ruling party in the US spent most of last year determined to TAKE AWAY health care from up to 24 million people. And I'm sure the rest of the world views that as insane, because it is.
    Stephen Harper tried in Canada. Also they tried to pass a Bill that would make you have to get a prescription from you family physician for over the counter Vitamins. I do not recall Stephen Harper getting called a nazi in any of these cases.

I really dont know what you're trying to say.
    I really do not care my fellow forumite.
    edited July 2018
    Grond0 said:

His daughter is a Jew.
    His son in-law is a Jew.

Fascism is characterized by nationalism, authoritarianism, corporatism, militarization and hostility towards both liberalism and Marxism. I agree it's clear that the US is not a fascist state, but it also seems clear to me that there has been progress in that direction over the last couple of years - so it doesn't seem unreasonable for people not comfortable with that to worry about the future direction.

As for nazism there's nothing in the political philosophy that requires anti-semitism. The doctrine of racial purity includes the belief that some humans are better than others, but doesn't require the persecution of any particular group. It's perfectly reasonable to interpret Trump's words and actions as signs that he believes that some humans are better than others (characterizing whole peoples as animals, rapists, infesting our country etc).

For clarity I'd better say that I'm referring to the political philosophy of nazism - Hitler's Germany clearly was anti-semitic. The Jews in Germany made a good target because the history of anti-semitism made it easy to whip up sentiment against them (and the opportunity to confiscate their wealth was important in the pre-war years).
    So you are telling me that Trump is a Marxist, he is trying to bring in social change.

"Let the ruling classes tremble at a communist workers revolution. The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win. Workingmen of all countries America, unite!"

Drain the swamp remember.

Also here is when Marx chimed in on immigration and how it effected the working class of England.

https://monthlyreview.org/2017/02/01/marx-on-immigration/
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,314

Grond0 said:

His daughter is a Jew.
    His son in-law is a Jew.

Fascism is characterized by nationalism, authoritarianism, corporatism, militarization and hostility towards both liberalism and Marxism. I agree it's clear that the US is not a fascist state, but it also seems clear to me that there has been progress in that direction over the last couple of years - so it doesn't seem unreasonable for people not comfortable with that to worry about the future direction.

As for nazism there's nothing in the political philosophy that requires anti-semitism. The doctrine of racial purity includes the belief that some humans are better than others, but doesn't require the persecution of any particular group. It's perfectly reasonable to interpret Trump's words and actions as signs that he believes that some humans are better than others (characterizing whole peoples as animals, rapists, infesting our country etc).

For clarity I'd better say that I'm referring to the political philosophy of nazism - Hitler's Germany clearly was anti-semitic. The Jews in Germany made a good target because the history of anti-semitism made it easy to whip up sentiment against them (and the opportunity to confiscate their wealth was important in the pre-war years).
    So you are telling me that Trump is a Marxist, he is trying to bring in social change.

"Let the ruling classes tremble at a communist workers revolution. The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win. Workingmen of all countries America, unite!"

I'm afraid that I can't understand your train of thought. While I don't expect you to care about that, you've made several posts recently that seem very cryptic. If you'd like your ideas discussed, it might be helpful to explain them in a bit more detail.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited July 2018

Grond0 said:

His daughter is a Jew.
    His son in-law is a Jew.

Also here is when Marx chimed in on immigration and how it effected the working class of England.

https://monthlyreview.org/2017/02/01/marx-on-immigration/
    Drain the swamp. How's that been going anyway? It must mean something different to the cult of trump because the rest of us aren't seeing it.

Draining the swamp must mean tax cuts for the rich. Trump's children in government positions literally taking bribes for government action. Goldman Sachs officials running the government. The ceo of Exxon was approved Secretary of State. That's draining the swamp huh.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

For the record: Almost all liberals would be totally fine with a Daily Show equivalent for the right. No one has any issues with that. As long as they arent lying constantly (A la Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, Alex Jones).

NOT "almost all" - I've seen plenty of people claim that the right shouldn't be given a comparable platform as the left.
This discussion has been closed.