Skip to content

New forum user, needing help with modding for Android.

BlacBlac Member Posts: 27
Hey everyone! As title says, I need help with modding. I've googled a bit, and whatever pops up that's relevant is usually way too tech/I.T. blah blah for me to understand. I was wondering if it's possible to get SCS/Ascension on my Android version of BG:EE and BG:2EE, along with a couple other mods. Plus delete dual class restrictions (humans only) etc etc. I have the latest versions from GPS, along with all of Beamdog's games.

If anyone can help with that, that would be great.

Edit- I do not have access to a PC, unfortunately. I know that complicate things..

Edit 2- I just realized I may have posted in the wrong channel- I'm not sure if this post belongs in BG:EE or if I should post in BG:2EE instead? Sorry in advance.

Comments

• _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    @Gusinda should be able to help you.....
    BlacThacoBellJuliusBorisov
  • BlacBlac Member Posts: 27
    edited July 2018
    Update: the google result that I looked at is this:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/43990/how-to-install-mods-on-android

Like I said, there's so much techy terms and stuff being thrown around. The OP lost me at paragraph 1 of the actual explanation and it just went downhill from there. If anyone could kind of dumb it down for me, I would be able to do it myself. I said I don't have access to a PC, but technically that is false due to the existence of libraries. I just can't make heads or tail of this tech mumbo jumbo (no offense intended ofc lol)

Edit: I have only ever modded ONE game on my phone, and that is KoToR #1, and that was only because of a very, VERY detailed Youtube walkthrough that I found. So, yeah, I am pathetic when it comes to tech terms etc lol.
    JuliusBorisovDordledum
    Okay I think I may have figured it out.. all I did was follow what I did for EEKeeper (moved obbs to PC, extracted all that stuff blah blah) and then ran SCS.. I am now moving the obbs back to Android.. see if it worked.

Does this look right?
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    @Blac, this would depend on which method used to create the mod. Did you repack the Obb with the dialog.tlk or use centralfix to fix the modfile.zip?

Unfortunately, there is a problem modding both the 2.5 beta (BGEE) and 2.5 release (BG2EE) at the moment, particularly with complex mods and those that addd to the dialog.tlk.

It might be able to be done with BGEE Beta, will have a look at it and provide feedback.

Gus

BlacJuliusBorisov
    Uhh, I have no idea actually. What is the dialog.tlk? Centralfix? I was unable to finish transferring the obb back to the phone due to time constraints (had around 3 hrs of free time yesterday, but that wasn't enough time). From what you said, it's possible I didn't do it correctly anyways.
    Hi @Blac, there is now a work around coming forward, but it does require access to a PC. I am currently drafting a process that will you will be able to follow to mod your game. I just need to finish it (prob tomorrow).

Keep an eye on the Android modding discussion (link you pasted above) as that is where the documented process will be posted.

Because you want to put SCS onto v2.5, there is also a hotfix that needs to be included (if you are not aware). Have a look here as this will describe and provde links.

Centralfix is a tool that you apply against a zipped file and allows it to be read properly by the Andoid OS in particular, the game.
    Dialog.tlk is a file that contain references the games uses to be able to display various Titles, descriptions, discussions etc. It is modified by most mods to include new items, kits etc.

Hope that helps
    Gus
    BlacJuliusBorisov
    @Gusinda - thanks for taking the time to explain, however I don't really understand. I'm just really not tech-saavy or an experienced modder like you guys. If you would be willing to dumb it down (just explain to me the steps needed for modding BG2:EE like you would explain it to a kid) that would be appreciated. I understand the first step (moving obbs to PC, using 7zip to unzip it, etcera.) but past that I don't understand what to do. I see the link to Centralfix in one of the google results that came up, do I download it? What do I do next? Etc.

I will not have access to PC for a few days so take your time if you need. No rush.

Alternatively.. if it's possible that you could do the whole modding thing and maybe upload the file so I can just download it and paste it in the obbs.. all I really want is SCS. Nothing else jumps out at me, but then again I haven't looked at all the mods available.

Again, thanks for taking the time to help me out so far. Appreciate it.
    @Blak, unfortunately if I send you the modfile, you will still need to repack you .obb for it to work properly.

You should be able to follow the process once it is complete. It will be aimed at non-tech with what I would hope to be step by step instuctions, at least for repacking the .obb, and a general note about installing mods. You may even prove to be the testing grounds if that is alright with you?

It wont however cover off on installing the individual mods themselves as most are WeiDU mods (the Setup-Modname.exe used to install the mod) where the modders have used Q&A to install; or the install order as there are already enough discussions about this... I am not actually a modder although I am trying to learn the code, I am mostly an old hack who has a reasonable general knowlege of IT and can fumble my way round in the dark.

Gus
    BlacJuliusBorisovLoldrup
    I think I have the basic idea of installing mods themselves. I just need to figure out how to actually get to that point with my obb files etc.

Does repacking my obb require a PC?

I would hope so as well for the second part. I apologize for being so tech dumb. Haha.
    @Blac, unfortunately it does require PC (although I haven't tried on Android, will put that onto my list). Once it is done, it doesn't need to be done again until an update of the game software. It would only be installing mods that has to happen each time you want to change. When you see how easy it is, you will prob kick yourself. All the hard work is done by the modders who put them together and deserve all the recognition they get! Will assist with the second part and modify the notes as we go through.

Gus
    Blac
    Awesome, thanks for all the help. I'll definitely try to figure out the first part. I'm sure it's not that hard like you said.

One last thing.. would you be willing to list some mods that merely require me to create an override file and drop them in? I know there are a few but Google is being unhelpful as ever. BG:2EE only if that helps. Is the Skip Dungeon! (skipping Chateau Irenicus) one of them by any chance? Gone thru that danged place 50 times ha ha.
    JuliusBorisov
    @Blac, sorry for not responding earlier...

The document is complete and it you want to give it a try, could you provide any feedback. If you have doubls about installing the mods, just go to the end of getting the vanilla version running (using the original dialog.tlk), we can then walk through installing mods into your game, then putting them onto your device.

If you don't, then we can also look at what's available in standalone mods.
    Gus
    JuliusBorisovBlac
    No worries! And thank you, I will take a look at the document!
    @Blak, take a pause on that. There is still a problem with it working on BG1EE...

Gus
    JuliusBorisovBlac
    Hi @Blac, now that things have settled a bit, I had a quick look around for some override folder mods. One thread came to mind which was Tresset's Choice Tweaks. I am sure there are plenty of others but they wont be complicated story mods unfortunately.

Gus
    BlacJuliusBorisov
    Thank you Gus. Appreciate the help. I haven't gotten access to a PC yet, busy. But when I do I will check that out.
    JuliusBorisov
    No worries. There is no need for a PC for these ones, they are just put into the override folder if you are interested. Most are fixes.

Gus
    JuliusBorisov
    @Gusinda But you still need to do the repack thing first though, right?
    @Blak, not for these ones. If it is an override folder mod, then it shouldn't need to touch the dialog.tlk at all therefore no conflict. This means you should be able to run any of the override mods, unless they conflict with updated files and the only way to find out is to try them. You just need to find the ones you want. Tresset has some good fixes and some good mods like Algernon's Cloak etc.

Gus
    Blac
    Very nice! Thank you. You've been a great help.
  • NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
    @Gusinda

Hey Gusinda! It's been a while! When it comes to prepping lang.zip files to be read for Android mods what's the long way to Centralfix these files using DOS? In this old thread:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/70164/is-it-required-to-buy-bgee-on-windows-to-use-eekeeper

you mentioned bypassing the need to Cetralfix using DOS by creating a textfile and adding the lines Centralfix; Pause but unfortunately it doesn't seem to make mod texts readable. Tried it on numerous occasions but the texts keep reading invalid#####, etc.
    Hi @Noloir, the long way is to open a Command Prompt in the folder that both Centralfix.exe and lang.zip are and type:

centralfix lang.zip

The short way is to drop (when in Windows) lang.zip onto centralfix.exe.

I use the batch file with a pause to allow me to read what has happened (any errors etc).

What game and version are you trying to get running? There are problems modding BG1EE 2.5.16.4 Beta right now (hoping for a solution when the 2.5 release is made official), and BG2EE 2.5.16.6 requires a different method... btw, the method also works for 1.3 versions of the game and removes conflicts between the two dialog.tlk.

Gus
    Noloir
    edited August 2018
    @Gusinda

Version 1.3, Seems like every other aspect of the my preprepped Modfiles work except the dialogue. Unsure what's going wrong with that step.
    Hi @Noloir, it could be that lang.zip is being compressed and not stored (although I am sure that causes the game to crash instead). Would you be able to post your mod (or at least the lang.zip and WeiDU.log) so I can have a look?

Gus
    @Gusinda

I apologize for the delay. A few days after this message a kid rear ended and destroyed a vehicle my father gave to me before he passed. Needless to say I've been busy and aggrevated for a lack of a better phrase.
    edited August 2018
    @Noloir, no problems. It is a shame that these things happen particularly with sentimental items.

I shall have a look at the file and see what can be dscovered.

Gus

Edit: Found the prob. The initial lang.zip was compressed. Before placing lang.zip into the compressed modfile.zip, it needs to be created as a 'STORE' zip. This means no compression. Not sure what tool you are using to create the file, but both WinRAR and 7Zip have options to create a .zip without compression. Once that is done, centralfix can be applied on lang.zip. If that is confusing, let me know and I will try to explain a bit better.

I have updated your modfile and added a new lang file (named 'lang-en_US.zip') inside the modfile. I left your lang.zip there for you to have a look at. When you unpack, you will need to delete or move lang.zip for it to work as only one dialog.tlk should be present. The game will crash with both there.

If you have any problems with creating the STORE zip, let me know and I can point to the option.
    Post edited by Gusinda on
    @Gusinda Hey mate- is xp cap remover/modifier possible without all the unpacking stuff? If yes, can you give me a mod for that? Can't seem to find one googling.
    @Blac, this one should work for you. Just unpack the files into your 'override' folder. If you don't have one, you can create it.

I don't think anything has changed for XP in the new version.

BTW, with the version 2.5.17.0, the modfiles appear to work without having to repackage the .obb file, so you should be able to create a modfile and install as for v1.3.x.

If you want to try and need a hand, let me know.

Gus
    Blac
    @Gusinda I really appreciate the help. Thanks alot. Have a little time to play with files before resting. If there are any complications I'll let you know within the week.

Using an old WinRAR program. Not sure why it compressed. I selected the .zip option for the lang and central.exe file tgen re-zipped that bundled zip with the modded override file.