Skip to content

The World Cup 2018 - Discussion, Opinions, and Prediction game

Comments

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745

Can I join in with the prediction making?

Across the board, England's levels of productivity are going to be hitting negative figures for the next three days. :D

Not sure if anyone is aware of it, but at the moment we are having a proper heatwave as well, haven't had one like this for years.
    That coupled with about the only thing anybody is interested in talking about is the football and telling everybody you meet, "it's coming home", if anything actually serious happens, we are so screwed.

I know there's some really serious stuff going on about Brexit, but TBH, who cares, "it's coming home".

(Of course on Thursday possibly, we all wake up heartbroken and with massive hangovers, it will start to rain and will do so so unrelentingly for the next two months. And we will remember that we are the "accursed" English whose lives are "brutal and short"..........until next time)

It's the hope that kills you....

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
    Or close the wall up with our English dead!
    In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility;
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger and maul them to bloody penalties,
    To be put down by the vets of knockout euthanasia,
    Or to roar into the finals to savage what comes!

Cry God for Harry, England and St. Southgate!

P.S. Our country is really screwed, leaderless, and politically broken. As a teacher, with my ear to the ground, I will not be surprised that we are going to have riots when people are refused pay rises, yet are fully aware of the bonuses and huge salaries still being awarded to an elite that is frankly stupid, useless and greedy. If our elite was entrepreneurial, created jobs and was more philanthropical, no one would mind, but it is deranged, empties pension pots and closes shop to make things cheaper in china. Worse, it really doesn't care what the media prints... An England win actually scares me. It will be the rally cry, for what the media, and this annoys me as well, calls the little people...
    StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisovFinneousPJ
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Anduin said:

Can I join in with the prediction making?

Across the board, England's levels of productivity are going to be hitting negative figures for the next three days. :D

Not sure if anyone is aware of it, but at the moment we are having a proper heatwave as well, haven't had one like this for years.
    That coupled with about the only thing anybody is interested in talking about is the football and telling everybody you meet, "it's coming home", if anything actually serious happens, we are so screwed.

I know there's some really serious stuff going on about Brexit, but TBH, who cares, "it's coming home".

(Of course on Thursday possibly, we all wake up heartbroken and with massive hangovers, it will start to rain and will do so so unrelentingly for the next two months. And we will remember that we are the "accursed" English whose lives are "brutal and short"..........until next time)

It's the hope that kills you....

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
    Or close the wall up with our English dead!
    In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility;
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger and maul them to bloody penalties,
    To be put down by the vets of knockout euthanasia,
    Or to roar into the finals to savage what comes!

Cry God for Harry, England and St. Southgate!

P.S. Our country is really screwed, leaderless, and politically broken. As a teacher, with my ear to the ground, I will not be surprised that we are going to have riots when people are refused pay rises, yet are fully aware of the bonuses and huge salaries still being awarded to an elite that is frankly stupid, useless and greedy. If our elite was entrepreneurial, created jobs and was more philanthropical, no one would mind, but it is deranged, empties pension pots and closes shop to make things cheaper in china. Worse, it really doesn't care what the media prints... An England win actually scares me. It will be the rally cry, for what the media, and this annoys me as well, calls the little people...

Pah!

Away with you naysayers.

It's coming 'ome.

I did write a long post in answer which was more serious but frankly, couldn't be bothered and deleted it.
    A teacher agitating class warfare.
    That will be a first.............

Anduin
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343

Do you guys think the Ballon d'Or will finally go to not Ronaldo or Messi this year

@FinneousPJ
    It might. Imo the only candidate would be Modric, and only if he brings home the WC.

In days of old the Ballon D’Or wasnt as rigid. But ever since Fifa took over, the election has been more or less a popularity contest... Fifa’s own player of the year worked in the same manner back then. Popularity has become merits Master

Ps. Nice to see the english popping in to say “its coming home”. Always the optimist :D
    AnduinJuliusBorisovFinneousPJ
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    edited July 2018
    France 3 Belgium 2

Belgies will have another exciting one, but France should have another gear.

England 1 Croatia 0

Croatia won't have the legs, and England's set plays have been deadly.

I'll keep the politics to the politics thread :), other than to note that the English media have had troubles accepting some of this squad e.g. Sterling. A little like France with the Zidane generation or how cricket has sometimes been. Winning should get them over that...
    Post edited by Mantis37 on
    StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisovGrond0Montresor_SP
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited July 2018

Do you guys think the Ballon d'Or will finally go to not Ronaldo or Messi this year

Only if Croatia wins the World Cup. I doubt they'll give Modric the Ballon d'Or without it.

Also, we have to remember that while Portugal was eliminated, Ronaldo still impressed. He also impressed in the Champions League, and not only won it, but scored some memorable goals. Remember the one in Turin?

Don't forget to make predictions regarding the semi-finals, FinneousPJ.
    FinneousPJMontresor_SP
    dunbar said:

As someone who is old enough to remember England winning in '66 (I was seven at the time) I honestly believed (childishly, obviously) that we were the best footballing nation in the world - little did I know that I had a lifetime of disappointment ahead of me...........until now........maybe this time.......

You just got to "BELIEVE". ;)

Grond0FinneousPJdunbarMontresor_SP
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I wanna see an epic battle tonight

France 2 - Belgium 3
    JuliusBorisovMontresor_SPStummvonBordwehr
    This just happened here and thought I'd share because it made me laugh.

My son walked in, looked at the TV screen and said,

"They have chickens on their shirts....
    Tell me, what is the point of the French?"
    JuliusBorisovRaduziel
    Damn so many great attempts on both sides
    Ref stole a great free kick from Belgium
    Come on Belgium
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Too bad for Belgium, but a deserved victory for France in my opinion.
    JuliusBorisov
    Sure but could have gone either way tbh
    JuliusBorisov
    England 2 - Croatia 1
    StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Unexpectedly, Croatia look more fresh and confident than England as the match goes.
    edited July 2018
    As the tournament enters the deciding phase, our prediction game is far from being clear as well.

Match-by-match predictions:

@FinneousPJ 43 points
    @Doubledimas 41 point

With 2 matches to play, there're up to 4 points to be distributed, so it can end either way.

Overall predictions:

@Doubledimas 97 points
    @FinneousPJ 91 points
    I 86 points
    @StummvonBordwehr 85 points
    @Cahir 83 points
    @Montresor_SP 80 points

All clear? Well, it depends on France. Why? Because I, @StummvonBordwehr , @Montresor_SP and @Cahir all voted for France as the vice-champion, which (if true) can provide 20 points. Add to them 4 potential points from the last 2 matches, and everyone (besides Montresor_SP, sorry) can win it.

What a tournament!
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    Grond0StummvonBordwehr
    FUCK ME CROATIA
    JuliusBorisovUnderstandMouseMagic
    edited July 2018
    Totally deserved. They kept playing better and better.

I'll root for Croatia in the final, although France are the big, big favourites. Modric to win the Ballon d'Or!
    FinneousPJStummvonBordwehr
    Just insane, to think about this:

On 7 October 2017 (less than a year ago), following the sacking of Ante Čačić due to a series of poor results, the Croatian Football Federation named Dalić as the head coach of the Croatia national football team. Upon arriving, Dalić announced that he would only remain head coach if Croatia qualifies for the 2018 FIFA World Cup and that the HNS would be deciding his future if Croatia miss out on qualifying for the finals.

On 9 October, Dalić led Croatia to a 2–0 win over Ukraine in 2018 World Cup qualifying, which also secured second place in their group, and a place in the play-off round.

Previous teams managed:

2005–2007 Varteks
    2007–2008 Rijeka
    2008–2009 Dinamo Tirana
    2009–2010 Slaven Belupo
    2010–2012 Al-Faisaly
    2012–2013 Al-Hilal B
    2013 Al-Hilal
    2014–2017 Al-Ain

Yeah... Who would have guessed?
    FinneousPJMontresor_SP

Gutted.

Croatia were a horrible team, hated the way they played against Russsia as well. So many late tackles.

England basically collapsed, why? heaven knows.

But as an Arsenal supporter I can cope....honestly I can....had a lot of practice over the years.

Obviously somebody took a wrong turn on the motorway and instead of coming home, decided to take a long detor and get themselves lost.

Now in the unenvious position of having to support France which TBH, won't be the first time. At one point when there were so many Arsenal players in the team, that was automatic.

Does mean I can get back to playing BG and writing my fanfic, so that's a positive. :)
    FinneousPJMontresor_SPStummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisov
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    Ah well, fair play to Croatia, they came on strong despite playing in extra time every game. A shame that Trippier's injury blunted the finish. England did seem to resort to one long ball too many as the game went on, hopefully there will be more creativity in open play come the Euros- this is a young team anyway. France will be favourites come the final, I'd guess 2-0 to them, but the Croats can't be underestimated.
    StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisov
    edited July 2018
    So it looks like the English press is talking "England are out of the WC", even the FA tweeted something along those lines:

They still have one match to play. Although, I guess, they won't be ready for it.

Belgium - England 2:0

France - Croatia 1:1 (yes, I know France will win, but sometimes we can roll 100).
    StummvonBordwehrMontresor_SP
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343
    So If I understand this correctly, I have to root for Croatia, just for the sake of having a slim chance to win this? Well in that case: Go Croatia

Cro - Fra: 2-1 (in overtime off course).

Surprisingly Croatia seems to have the better coach of the two sides. France lacks the coolness to finish the job, and will choke like in the Euro 2016 final.... Modric will lift the team and the trophy like Maradona and get his Ballon D’Or.

Bonus: both Denmark and Russia will claim, that they could have been world champions. The Danes obviously with the better case - they have played both teams from the Final and havent lost in regular play...

Bel - Eng: 3-1

England had the drawing luck en route to the semis, and have done well. Their time will come - their team is young and full of talent. Just like France, Italy, Germany and Spain before them, the English have finally gotten their U teams to deliver solid material. The English where not meant to peak just yet - but has every chance to do so. They will loose to Belgium this time, but will learn to the next time..

Bonus: thanks to the english FA and the staff for not letting us suffice with your overambition, overrated WAGS and lack of talent. This time the focus was actually on the pitch..
    Montresor_SPJuliusBorisov
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208

But as an Arsenal supporter I can cope....honestly I can....had a lot of practice over the years.

Back in 9th grade we went to visit London and of course went to see a real English football match. So we went to Highbury expecting to see the Gunners destroy Wolverhampton.

The Wolves won 3-2...

But you'll be happy to know I still have the "FA Cup Winners 1979" scarf I bought as a souvenir. :smile:
    StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisovUnderstandMouseMagic
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    dunbar said:

As someone who is old enough to remember England winning in '66 (I was seven at the time) I honestly believed (childishly, obviously) that we were the best footballing nation in the world - little did I know that I had a lifetime of disappointment ahead of me...........until now........maybe this time.......

It took me 6 world cups, before I stopped believing England could win and no longer could be heart broken...

However... Harry's team has rekindled my hope. Im proud of England's performance this tournament and Im actually looking forward to the 3rd team play-off. Also, after we won penalties against Colombia, I finally forgave Southgate for missing that penalty back in the day :p

Come on Croatia!!
    StummvonBordwehrFinneousPJJuliusBorisovMontresor_SP
    This England squad will be ripe at the next WC!
    JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehr

This England squad will be ripe at the next WC!

My only reaction to this is to hear, in my head, the voice of Rafiki from the old Lion King video game saying,

"It Starts"

followed by that dismal, trailing off musical motif.
    Montresor_SP
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Predictions for the last two matches:

Belgium - England: 5-2. Belgium is less disappointed than England with missing the final and their offensive is pretty lethal. But they still aren't strong in the back. England needs to find a place Harry Kane in the front, not in midfield. The so-called "losers' match" is often entertaining because both teams feel they have little to play for except the honor, so I'm going for a lot of goals.

Croatia - France: 1-3. Croatia have been "comeback kids" in the last three matches but three times extra time plus two penalty shootouts has to leave a mark. They'll get a goal but France gets three.
    StummvonBordwehrFinneousPJJuliusBorisov

P.S. Don't forget to make your predictions for the remaining 2 matches, @FinneousPJ @Doubledimas and @Cahir
    FinneousPJStummvonBordwehr
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    My predictions for the last two matches:

Belgium vs. England: 3-1 (yeah, football already came home)

France vs. Croatia: 1-1 (and Croatia wind the penalties). Normalny I would bet on France, but I get the feeling there will be a great Sunday evening in Belgrade.
    StummvonBordwehrMontresor_SPJuliusBorisov