Skip to content

[How to] Install mods on Android

Comments

• trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    edited July 2018
    @Gusinda here are separate zips of weidu, dialog and music after i installed all of the mods. music is added by edwin mod, dorn expansion and one other NPC mod i made but it's not publicly released as it contains other people's work. hope this helps?

i also took alook at the procedure you mention, and so far so good. it seems detailed and well explained so far :)
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    @Gusinda Nice work! I didn't use the method you're describing but I think it's fairly well explained. I just have a suggestion about the first time you use 1675151987 to calculate the size. At this point you still haven't explained it's the size in bytes of the patch.*.obb file. I believe you should move up this explanation a bit so that value doesn't appear by magic.

I noticed two typos in uses of C:\something while the rest is referencing E:\something. In one case this C:\something includes 2064, which is obsiously a leftover from a text written for version 1.3.

By the way, nice find about the possible use of dialog.tlk without requiring a centralfixed archive.
  • CavakCavak Member Posts: 27
    edited July 2018
    Well, I went through the process and finished today. Unfortunately, I still got invalids.

Some of it is from SCS apparently not working with these latest patches. But when installing patches for faith and powers and might and guile i got invalids also.

Was Faith and Powers spheres not working or was that just the centralfix problem?

Just in case I'm going to start all over and make sure I built the patch obb right and then test again.

Edit: ignore this, i zipped the lang and centralfixed it and moved it out of habit. I still have the files set and will check with just copying it over
    Ok, can confirm it works!
    Bummer for me tho is my specific mod combo won't. Something is fatally wrong with Faith's and Powers.

Installing it, choosing install everything plus spheres and I can install might and guile and npc_ee but using anything from the spheres system crashes it.

Installing faiths and choosing components to exclude spheres, then might, and npc_ee throws an error with a duplicate label for a fighter kit...so FnP and MnG are both labeling the same kit when choosing components for FnP. Very aggravating.

I might try rogue rebalancing instead of MnG, use the FnP kits only.

ANYWAY that's a personal prob lol. The method works.

The only confusion I hit following the directions was to use the already modded dialog.tlk in the replacement and that it was the cause of the filesize change. The earlier description one page back where you short summarized the jung method made it clear
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Sorry about the time delay, my ISP decided it was time to do some infrastructure improvements but just forgot to inform anyone...

@trinit, did some testing on your files and the dialog.tlk had some errors, so I rebuilt in accordance with your WeiDU.log and had no problems. I might add though, when using your dialog.tlk and music files, I had voice and movie speech. I am unsure how big your modfile is, but is there any chance you could split it up into 50 mb chunks and upload it (incl your baldur.lua) and I will see if I can set mine exactly as yours?

@Isaya, thanks for the suggestions. I have (hopefully) fix the info about the file size and yes, I had written a document earlier (mostly so I could stardardise across the IE games) and had copy and pasted from that.

@Cavak, it is great that you got it going. The part for the modified dialog.tlk was in the next section about modding. The idea is to not put the dialog.tlk into the .obb at all. Hopefully the revised document is a bit more clear. The Sphere System in FnP is not compatible with 2.5 it seems. I reported back to the author so we can sit and wait for a fix. To install SCS, you need to make sure that you include the hotfix for 2.x games. A link for it can be found here. Never had any problem with Might and Guile (at the time, it was the only mod used so it might be conflicting with something else) but there is a problem with NPC_EE. I read in the related discussion that reverting back to 3.1.2 will allow for the install. I have downloaded but not tried yet.

Gus
    edited July 2018
    @Gusinda At the moment, doing the vanilla test the game loads. But when I attack a tutor and Phyldia tries to cast a spell, crash.

Likewise, when I do Firebeard's scroll quest and return to him and he would cast Protection from Evil on me, crash.

So, any spell cast seems to crash it.

I've tried with both copying lang and arching and centralfixing lang. No mods, just vanilla

Edit: Not sure if its relevant, because I'm not intimately familiar with compression standards but:

When I take a fresh patch.xxx.com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition.zip copied from my device and unzip it, I get a file size of 2,072,661,623.

If I repack that into a new zip folder (test.zip) including all files that came out of patch.xxx.com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition.zip using 'store' it comes out to 2,072,612,281.

Definitely including everything that I see appearing, but, with the size change is something being lost? If I take that test.zip and unpack it, then select what it unzipped and archive it into testgen2.zip the size comes out the same as test.zip 2,072,612,281.

This is me, grasping at straws :open_mouth:
    Post edited by Cavak on
    Gusinda
    Hi @Cavak, what software are you using to compress? For the sizing, do the sizes of the zipped files match? That is the original and the repacked? You could probably check the unpacked by file count to see if all are there.

Let me have a look at the other problem of yours where the game crashes. I tested with a rogue (my fav char type). I will try with a mage/anybody and do some friendly attacking.

Thanks
    Gus
    @Gusinda OMG!!! i managed to get it working! i followed your instructions from the last post (just creating patch.obb file) and it worked! music, movie, sounds, dialog is all there!!!

one note- when creating patch.obb file, it would be useful to make clearer that user NEEDS to put the vanilla dlg into data foldder on android, otherwise the game will crash since it cannot find the default dlg. ( when testing if vanilla works)

right now i'm using lang.zip file with dlg and music in it, i think the game ignored music folder if it was just put like a standard folder into data folder on android.

things i did differently from the previous attempts was this:
    1- i downloaded centralfix file from the link Gusinda provided in his post above
    2- when creating zip files, i didn't select modified patch folder itself, rather i selected data, lang etc. folders INSIDE it (as instructed above)
    3- i ran cmd in administrator mode (did this before too, don't know if it made a difference)
    4- i first ran the game just with lang folder in data folder on android, then i ran it second time with lang.zip file containing music and dialog tlk (folder structure preserved), and i added override folder after that and ran it third time - everything worked

@Gusinda - i can't thank you enough. i will go test the game some more and see if everthing works as intended. but even knowing some of the stuff works and the game accpts modified patch.obb is a great step forward :D
    Gusinda
    @Cavak i had the same problems before, file sizes being inconsistent. i managed to make the compression process give correct final result by doing the folllowing:

1- once you put the folder somewhere you do not move it again for the whole process, only to move it to android in the end
    2- it's important that you make a test zip including 000.000 file in exact position where you intend it to be in the final obb. it's almost like moving the files also disrupts the correct bit size.

but i agree, even unpacking and repacking the same files results in different bytesize somehow.
    Gusinda
    edited July 2018
    Ya, im creating the 000.000 to bring the new obb up to the same size as the original, and creating lang/en_US/dialog.tlk in the 'files' that i pulled from the obb before creating the 000.000.

I'm fairly certain ive followed the steps exactly. Could it be different on BGEE vs BG2EE?

ive tried with 7z and winrar
    Gusinda
    @Cavak do you also include 000.000 file when you create first zip to calculate the difference? and keep the new, filled 000.000v file at the same spot as the old one? i use winrar, win7 has different options for store mode but store mode on winrar default seems fine
    Gusinda
    Ya I create a blank 000.000 for the minor effect it will have on size.

And I've done store mode through WinRAR and 7zip and both give the same result
    Gusinda
  • SavoriusSavorius Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I just stumbled across this thread after recently buying BGEE and BG2EE for Android.

I wanted to chime in and say I went through the tutorial steps posted by @Gusinda and ran into the exact same issue that @Cavak did. As soon as any spell is cast, the game crashes. (btw, really well written tutorial, very easy to follow)

This was for BGEE. I used 7zip to create the new Store .zip file. Size was the same as the original file.
    Gusinda
    @Cavak, yes, can confirm back to square one for BG1EE 2.6.16.4 Beta... tried a number of things last night but no success. Both BG2EE and IWDEE don't display the same prob. Have some other things to try to pinpoint the actual prob but it doesn't look good. I will also advise Beamdog of the setback on the ticket.

Thanks, will let you know how I go.
    Gus
    Well, in glad it wasn't just me lol. I'll check SOD and prolly play modded that through bg2. Or maybe just start with 2 and start over when it gets fixed.

Thanks for confirming Gus
    Gusinda
    @trinit, you are correct about the music folder. From the iesdp reference, the only override folders for the home folder are:

home:/movies (overrides all others)
    home:/characters
    home:/portraits
    home:/sounds
    home:/scripts
    home:/override

No music in there... interestingly, there isn't any lang folder either.

Happy to hear any feedback.

@Cavak, I rolled back to 1.3.2070 today to test the procedure and the spell casting worked fine, upgraded back to 2.5.16.4 and threw anything (that I could find) in regard to the spells Armor of Faith (use a Cleric as CHARNAME), and Prot From Evil into the override folder in case there were problems accessing the particular .bif. Still no luck I am afraid... I am running out if ideas so it may well be that we wait for Beamdog to release 2.5 proper for BGEE and try again. I have a mate around the corner who has BGSoD. It would be interesting if the same problem is in that game. Will see if I can try and let you know.

@Savorius, thanks for your feedback earlier, and good to see the procedure was readable. I am still modifying the content based on comments such as trinit's and the vanilla dlg. So if you see any changes that could make it easier, feel free to fire it in. It is aimed at those who are not very technical...

Gus
    trinit
    @Gusinda that is interesting... at least the standard centralfixed lang.zip file is functioning correctly for both music and lang folder from what i can tell
    Gusinda
    If someone here is playing the BGEE 2.5.16.4 Beta version on PC, is there any chance you could upload the en_US\dialog.tlk (in a zip file)? I bought on GoG so don't have access to it. I expect them to be the same, but always good to try...

Thanks
    Gus
  • DarkaenDarkaen Member Posts: 12
    edited July 2018
    Hey ran across this post the other day...here's a drive link to my en_us from the BGEE patch.obb Haven't started playing it just yet since I'd heard about EET right after buying the games... Def looking forward to playing again (played the originals when they first came out ages ago) and adding mods would be great. Hope this helps...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RHQjCcrimSZksiVndquOGbqKdXdfbNmo/view?usp=drivesdk
    Gusinda
    edited July 2018
    Thanks @Darkaen and welcome to the forum. I am actually chasing the PC version of the dialog.tlk. I have done some testing on the Android version, all of which failed. I expect that they will be the same file and wont have any success either but I have to draw through that line in my fault finding list...

As far as EET goes, I am unsure whether it will be able to be installed on Android. We wont know until somebody tries, but I wont be trying until BGEE 2.5 is released (not in Beta).

If you have BG2EE, then the procedure above works fine for it.

Thanks again
    Gus
    Darkaen
  • DarkaenDarkaen Member Posts: 12
    edited July 2018
    Thanks! Let me know if you need any other files or anything. I've got the complete trilogy all installed in android (mixed sd card adoption if you were curious lol). All are the beta version as well.

Edit : From what I could find EET isn't possible on android. At least for now- I only mentioned that as I hadn't even considered the possibility of modding android till I happened to come across a post mentioning a way to play the non_EE pc version on android via gemrb.
    edited July 2018
    @Darkaen, I am so glad the EEs came out. I use to play BG 1 & 2 on Android using GemRB. Although it was a pain, it was a must have when away from home. I also had IWD and (I think) IWD2 but they only lasted a short time. I only had a my PC + 1 other max when I on Android...

For BG2EE, it now has the official release to 2.5.16.6, so if you are still running beta, I would upgrade. Also, I am sure that SoD was an offical release as well (couldn't tell you the version number as I don't have it).

Gus
    Post edited by Gusinda on
    edited July 2018
    @Cavak, here is what I did today.

I popped over to my mates and was able to setup a procedure for BGSoD. It will need to be different as there are duplicate files in the music folder; same name but one with uppercase and one with lowercase. Unfortunately that doesn't fit well with the Windows OS.

The next update of the procedure will include it (need to remember and type it out yet), but simply put, the .obb needs to be left compressed.
    - Rename it to .zip,
    - copy the dialog.tlk to a safe area to setup as the vanilla,
    - find the size new of the patch.zip, compare it to the original size to determine the size of 000.000,
    - take 148 bytes away, build 000.000 then add to .obb and check size.

original patch.obb size - new patch.obb size - 148 = size of 000.000

I did a couple of different games the same way, particularly BGEE to see if it fixed the problem but it didn't. But the outcome of doing many was the 148 bytes. First and second time was a case of adding 000.000 to replace the dialog.tlk, finding out I was 148 btyes to big, then deleting and readding another 000.000. For future attempts, I just remove the 148 first before making 000.000 and there wasn't a need to rebuild again. Why 148 bytes you may ask? I am guessing here but it may be the size of an entry in the index.

Of course, once you have done that, you still need to centralfix the zip and rename it.

Thinking out loud: This however opens the possibilty of doing this on the device. I ran out of time today, but I will try removing dialog.tlk out of a renamed obb on the device then try and create an empty file on the device and see if I can add it. I don't know yet if it can be done but worth a try for those who don't have access to a PC. Also unsure of what tools are available to create files to a specific size. We will see.

The games I tried were:
    - BG SoD - Tick
    - PSTEE - there is only one .obb but it works well.
    - BGEE v1.3 - I wanted to see if the problem was related to BGEE or just the version. Happily, all went well for 1.3, spells were cast galore.
    - BG2EE 2.5.16.4 Beta - I still had this in my Android modding folder, so I wanted to see if it might have been a version problem, but no. BG2EE worked as expected. It also reminded me that I need to clean out my HDD.
    - Rebuilt BG1EE 2.5.16.4 Beta using the 'other' method. - sadly didn't work, game still crashed on casting.

So the only game that is having the problem is BGEE 2.5.16.4 Beta. I still haven't tried using a PC dialog.tlk yet but don't hold any hope as I am sure they are the same file.

If, like me, you keep a copy of your games on HDD to save redownloading all the time, then I also found out something interesting. When you install the game and copy your obbs to their proper location, the game still needs to find the dialog.tlk (so it can start and create the 'Andoid\data\gamename' folder etc). If you place 'lang-en_US-BG1EE2.5.16.4-Vanilla.zip' (name I use for my centralfixed zipped vanilla dialog) into the 'Android\obb\gamename' folder, it is read from there as well. You could also build the \data folder structure yourself, but I am quite lazy so prefer to have the game do it for me.

Anyway, that it is for today's findings. Doesn't look good for BGEE but great for the rest, and hopefully Beamdog can find the prob and fix for the proper release.

aveagoodday
    Gus
    JuliusBorisov
  • legotaksinlegotaksin Member Posts: 65
    Has anyone succeeded in installing and playing spell revision mode?
    I tried it when game version is bg2ee 2.5 16.4 beta android but i failed.

I used junyangche's method and except spell revision, other mod worked well (ex. scs, rogue rebanlcing, atweak, cdtweak, skipirenicusdungeon etc).

whenever i install spell revision mod and play game, game is crashed when i used spell.

if someone who used spell revision mkd is here, please share your method.
    Hi @legotaksin, there is a problem when installing mods onto the 2.5 patches where the dialog.tlk is clashing. Have a look at the series of posts prior, and you will see a method that might work (SR not tested in this) for BG2EE, It wont work for BG1EE 2.5.16.4 Beta yet, will crash on spell cast... I wil give it a go myself to see what happens.

Also, BG2EE 2.5.16.6 has been released so I would consider updating first.

Hope that helps
    Gus
    JuliusBorisov
  • legotaksinlegotaksin Member Posts: 65
    Gusinda said:

Hi @legotaksin, there is a problem when installing mods onto the 2.5 patches where the dialog.tlk is clashing. Have a look at the series of posts prior, and you will see a method that might work (SR not tested in this) for BG2EE, It wont work for BG1EE 2.5.16.4 Beta yet, will crash on spell cast... I wil give it a go myself to see what happens.

Also, BG2EE 2.5.16.6 has been released so I would consider updating first.

Hope that helps
    Gus

when i saw your method, i didn't look carefully because i think i already know it(junyangche's method)

but i read it again, i find it is little different.
    i can't use it now because i can't use my computer for personal problem. but when i have a time, i'll try it.

thanks for helping
    JuliusBorisov
    @legotaksin, no problems. Had no problems installing SR v4beta15 onto BG2EE 2.5.16.6. Only cast about a dozen spells, but took that to be working.

Gus