Skip to content

How to Report Bugs

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @Cahir Where would you like that filter? All trackers are separate (eg., BG:EE public bugs, Infinity Engine public bugs, etc).
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Yes, but I would like to see all IE related trackers except NWNEE. I can select either one of them or all (along with NWNEE)
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    edited May 2018
    It is possible to create a customized view with only the projects you'd like to see.

Required steps:
    1. Select Project > Public Bug Reports > Issues

2. Add filter "Subproject"

3. Fine-tune filter "Subproject"

4. Expand list of available projects

5. Ctrl+Select each project you'd like to see in the view

6. Click on "Apply"

Since all the changes are encoded into the URL you can simply bookmark the resulting URL to reproduce it later.

For example, this is the URL for IE Engine game-related projects, with Status=any and sorted by the "Updated" column:
    (very long URL)
    JuliusBorisovhook71
    edited May 2018
    This is handy @argent77, but can I use this bookmarked list to see Activity tab or is it usable only for Issues tab?
    Post edited by Cahir on
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    Good question. I haven't seen any useful options on the Activity page so far.
    Yeah that's the point I usually use Activity page to what has been fixed lately. To be able to create a customized list of projects there would be useful. There seems to be heavy activity for NWN:EE projects and which for the time beeing is not much of an interest for me.
  • DurlagDurlag Member Posts: 1
    I am playing Baldur's gate in Windows.

There appears to be a bug in to program, it will not allow me to raise some thief scores (open locks, Find traps and detect illusion).

When I click on the + for those skills (at character creation or gaining a level) it will they will not raise but other skills seem to work properly.

I wrote customer support who fixed the issue but after a couple of days the problem has reoccurred.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @Durlag

According to the first post in this thread, please, report bugs at https://support.baldursgate.com/ . The team will be able to define the issue and help you.
  • AxlPWNAxlPWN Member Posts: 1
    Hi, guys, anyone have an issues on Wild Forest map? When i go to the map, is all black and i can't see my pg's, can't move
    @AxlPWN Which game version, which platform, what are your device's specs? Please clarify these details in a report at https://support.baldursgate.com/ .
  • DurandalisDurandalis Member Posts: 46
    edited August 2018
    This system of reporting bugs is needlessly convoluted. I email beamdog through the support link at the top of this page, only to get a response telling me to register through redmine so I can give them the redmine # so I can get the problem looked at that I emailed them about in the first place. To do that however, I have go through the support link at the top of the page, and file ANOTHER ticket all over again.

HOW DOES THIS MAKE SENSE?!

Furthermore, this entire process makes the bug I'm reporting open to everyone, including other users! I wanted to privately report my bug, in case it may have been an account issue. To my annoyance however, there was no option.

And if there was one, I could not find it.

I am deeply annoyed by the lack of forethought, both concerning the ease of reporting and consideration of privacy.

Also, why wouldn't you have support linked to Beamdog accounts? How many accounts do I have to register here? This seems like a completely unnecessary step.

Edit:
    Rant: And this is my rant for the month. Still angry about it, however.

Edit2:
    On a side note, where can I report a bug about your bug reporting system? I think this might qualify.
    rufusdufus
    Thanks for the feedback, @Durandalis . Redmine makes the process of bug reporting streamlined:

any person can check if a bug is registered
    any person can check the bug's status
    a user who is experiencing a problem in their game can report it as a bug, and we'll provide help, including fixing the save for the user, or coming with detailed troubleshooting advice

If it's an account issue, or another private issue, please go through the support ( support@beamdog.com ).
  • DurandalisDurandalis Member Posts: 46
    First off, I did go through support. I was told to file through redmine to get a project #.

This is part of my frustration. Why the two? If you insist on using redmine, why not throw everything into it? Would it not make more sense to use one or the other? I get wanting a streamlined system, but who is this streamlined for? It seems to me like it wastes time for both the reporter and the supporter.

It's a great system if you know how to classify your problem (IE, this bug is clearly related to this, so I report this here), but confusing as hell if you don't have a clue (IE, is this a client problem, a game problem, an account problem, etc?). The answer isn't always obvious.
    rufusdufus
    We understand that. Redmine can't solve a lot of issues which our support can. And vice versa. For example, anything about payment/password/purchases is for our support. Anything about our products (including the Client) is for Redmine.
  • rufusdufusrufusdufus Member Posts: 1
    I open an account with steam so that all of my games would be in one place and no need for multiple accounts. I've already opened two accounts to get here, now I'm expected to open another, and that's the least of it. I have over 3000 games on steam and this is the first time I've bought a game that does not work only to find that the dev clearly has no intention to support people with issues. Instead they develop a system so convoluted, so complicated with so many different steps it is clearly designed to put people off asking for support. Why don't you just say - screw you, we've had your hard earned, now pish off.
    You'll never get another penny from me. My gaming time is too precious to go through this bollox.
    Really, @rufusdufus ?

Every player can get help from:

- our support (support@beamdog.com , https://beamdog.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/206729933-Windows-My-Game-Won-t-Launch-Or-Is-Crashing-On-Launch)
    - the bug tracker (where our QA responds and goes back and forth about each troubleshooting issue)
    - this forum
    - Steam forum

Beamdog has been working on the game for more than 6 years, and all this time we have been working with users who experience troubleshooting issues to make sure they can play.
    [Deleted User]
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    @JuliusBorisov Is the incorrect order of application of opcode 42 (bonus wizard spells) a known bug? On BG:EE 2.5.17, Edwin's amulet of + spells per level, and the ring of evermemory that doubles the number of first level spells (both opcode 42) are not applied in the correct order on loading the game. The multiplicative doubling (ring) is applied before the additive (amulet), resulting in the loss of the last memorized spell. 100% repro, and a bug from vanilla BG iirc.
    @agris This one will be addressed by the 2.6 patch.
    agris[Deleted User]
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    edited November 2018
    Thanks @JuliusBorisov. Are the bad bams in the Steam release 2.5.17 version of sod-dlc.zip known about? For example, the description images bddham03.bam and bddham04.bam are split into four frames each, with only a quarter of the image in each frame. When inspecting the hammers that that use that art, the player only sees a quarter of the image, frame 1.

Edit: I have heard from @Sam_ that the Beamdog client version of SoD doesn't have this problem.
    agris said:

Thanks @JuliusBorisov. Are the bad bams in the Steam release 2.5.17 version of sod-dlc.zip known about? For example, the description images bddham03.bam and bddham04.bam are split into four frames each, with only a quarter of the image in each frame. When inspecting the hammers that that use that art, the player only sees a quarter of the image, frame 1.

Edit: I have heard from @Sam_ that the Beamdog client version of SoD doesn't have this problem.

We'll take a look.
    agris
  • Sam_Sam_ Member Posts: 172

agris said:

We'll take a look.
    Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
    From our QA: the hammers are showing up correctly in the 2.6 nightly, however we haven't checked the Steam build for 2.6 yet. Once we have that build we'll see if it's still broken.
    [Deleted User]
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/37211 Is this bug already known as internal ticket? Otherwise someone should submit it.
  • mvollmersmvollmers Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me if how this process changes (if at all) for an iOS device? It refers to files being pulled from directories and I can’t get to any of that on the iPad. I can take a video of the crash, but no logs anywhere. Just trying to figure out how best to report this. Thanks!
    @mvollmers Yes, it applies to the iOS device as well. Just create a report at that site, and our QA will help you define how to find and attach needed files.
  • AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
    edited March 2019
    Edit: Added quote to clarify context.
    Cerevant wrote: »
    Step 1: Check for Mods
    Make sure that you have no mods installed, and that you have not edited your save game. If you do, try to reproduce the issue with a new game on a clean installation.
    I have a modded installation and I only have one PC. How do I get a clean installation in my PC without removing my modded installation? Can I just install the vanilla game to a different directory or will that wreck my modded installation? I could just remove my modded installation and start from scratch, but I'd rather avoid that because I've spent hours fine tuning my mods and I don't want to lose all that fine tuning.
    Post edited by Alonso on
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi @Alonso, this isn't really the discussion to use as it isn't a bug, but to answer your question... I am guessing here that you are talking about one of the IE games. Haven't tried with NWN but I expect it would be similar.

There are a couple of ways but the most efficient and system friendly would be:
    Copy the contents of your modded game to another folder such as E:\Games\BG1EE.Mod. Before reinstalling (and further using BG1EE as an example), go to your Documents folder and find the "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition" and rename it to "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.Mod"

To keep the system 'clean' you can then uninstall the game and reinstall with the vanilla install. You just need to create a shortcut on your desktop for the modded game or start the game with baldur.exe from the new game folder.

If you want to create a new install with other mods, just copy the vanilla install to another folder (E:\Games\BG1EE.Mod2) and install your mods within that folder... Try to keep your game installs away from the /Program Files folder or other system folders so you wont need to deal with MS 'protection'. I always install into a Games folder, ie: x:\Games (where x = Drive letter).

To separate the saved games (if you need to do that), ie: modded from vanilla:
    Open the modded game's 'engine.lua' (located in the root of the game folder) with a text editor.
    Edit the line:
    engine_name = "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition"
    to read
    engine_name = "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.Mod"
    or whatever you named the saved game folder in your Documents folder.

You should now be able to start your modded game and have access to all your saved games and modded baldur.lua etc.
    When you start the fresh vanilla install, the game will create a new folder called ".\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition" just like new.

Hope that helps. Just ask if it doesn't make sense.

Gus

Grond0JuliusBorisovAlonsoStummvonBordwehr
    @Gusinda: Thank you for your very detailed instructions. The reason I'm asking this question here is that I need to do this in order to report bugs. I have added a quote to my previous message to clarify that.

After I renamed the game and saved games folders I tried to uninstall the game with the Windows uninstaller, but I receive this error message:
    m7sj5a5uxpgi.png

Is there another way to "clean" the system before installing vanilla?
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    @Alonso, no problems. Is this a GOG version? Does the folder/file exist?

If it does and it isn't running the uninstall for some other reason, then I have found that you can just delete the folder. If there is no folder to delete due to renaming it, then that is no probs either. The only system entry you have left is the Windows Installer/Uninstaller.

You can get rid of that entry by opening 'Apps and Features' (right click on Start Button), then open 'Programs and Features' under related settings.
    Find Baldur's Gate II- Enhanced Edition in the list, right click on it and select uninstall. It will complain that it isn't around any more and ask if you want to remove the entry. Select OK.

If you are installing the vanilla game back to that location, then you wont need to worry about removing it, as it will create another entry that is the same and you shouldn't have to use the options to locate the game folder when installing fresh.

Gus
    AlonsoJuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehr
    @Gusinda: Sorry, I hadn't followed your instructions properly. I had moved the game directory to the new location instead of copying its contents, hence the problem. When I copied as you said everything worked well. Thank you!
    GusindaJuliusBorisov
This discussion has been closed.