Skip to content

The thread for neutrality/share your meh

semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
You know, we have a thread for sharing our sorrows and a thread for sharing our joy, but we've never had a thread for discussing things that are just kind of okay. This thread is here to share things that are not too bad and not too great, but just kind of "meh."

I'll kick it off: I just ate some blueberries.

They were okay. Not the best berries I've ever had, but not the worst. I'd give it a 5/10.
joluvZaghouldeltagoBalrog99booinyoureyeslolienmashedtatersJLee

Comments

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Anything you order at Perkin's. Sometimes it's really good, sometimes it sucks. It almost always goes back and forth every time I visit.
    ThacoBellBalrog99DrHappyAngrymashedtaters
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    Horror movies. They just have no affect on me so they aren't really entertaining.
    booinyoureyes
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277

Horror movies. They just have no affect on me so they aren't really entertaining.

This, but regarding zombie/survival games instead (and thankfully a viewpoint more people agree on nowadays).
    themazingnessdeltagoThacoBellmashedtaters
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702

This, but regarding zombie/survival games instead (and thankfully a viewpoint more people agree on nowadays).
    Agreed. On a similar note, the zombie Apocalypse killed Flash gaming long before Flash being discontinued.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    After a couple weeks of hellish heatwave, the rains have finally come. Joy!
    Two couple of weeks of hell have heated everything up so much that now it feels like steaming hot bath. Gah!
    ThacoBell
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    NWN:EE.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Its day right now.
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    Raduziel said:

O_Bruce said:

My today's meh: this thread. Why does it exist in the first place?

To make us feel like the cool kids smoking cigarettes behind the school and saying "Yeah, whatever..."
    Psssh, yeah, whatever
    ThacoBellRaduzielmashedtaters
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455

Years ago, I gave my best friend this for a birthday present.

What was in it

Years ago, I gave my best friend this for a birthday present.

What was in it
    Alcomeh
    FinneousPJlolienmashedtaters
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I would of guessed caffeine-free, diet soda, that isn't flat yet, but close to getting there.
    elminsterProontmashedtaters
    water
    mashedtaters
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    deltago said:

I would of guessed caffeine-free, diet soda, that isn't flat yet, but close to getting there.

That or flat fizzy water. It tastes different than non-carbonated water, but it's just meh.
    ThacoBellmashedtaters
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    we're in a hiking group and four of us from that group went for lunch, including my longtime partner and a rather young woman who we just met. as we sat down my gf who is a bit crass took her facebook, started telling her vulgarly how beautiful she is (which she is), and how great she dresses, and how pretty she is, ... which made the woman a bit uncomfortable. when she started showing me the woman's fb pics on her phone, launching herself across the table i couldn't look at them so i just went into plant mode and stared blankly into space. then she asked me "isn't she beautiful"? i wanted to just be frank and friendly and overcome the stifledness - and tell the woman directly that she's indeed pretty (especially since i wouldn't want to make comments about her in 3rd person while she sat accross the table). however i couldn't do it as while it did feel like the only right thing to do, it felt wrong at the same time, so i just muttered something and later we didn't really talk during the lunch. i mean i tried to initiate a conversation but she wouldn't really look me in the eyes or react to what i'm saying. so i just focused on my course finishing my meal first by a long way.
    then i thought about how things are great and how happy in life i am while feeling a little meh at the same time.
    StummvonBordwehrlolien
    Our insurance gives us a 25 strip supply to measure my sons blood/glucose level.
    They renew this once a month.
    We use 2 strips a day.
    I need to get this fixed somehow.
    Zaghoulmashedtaters
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    ThacoBell said:

Our insurance gives us a 25 strip supply to measure my sons blood/glucose level.
    We use 2 strips a day.

Not sure what the strips look like or how they work but I know that pH paper can be cut in half and still work just fine.
    ThacoBell
    Balrog99 said:

ThacoBell said:

We use 2 strips a day.

Not sure what the strips look like or how they work but I know that pH paper can be cut in half and still work just fine.
    Indeed they can. Unfortunately home glucose monitors (and strips by extension) are overengineerd pieces of copyright that don't work like just some pH paper. (different brands are also mutually exclusive with each other). I have to get the blood on an area about the size of two pinheads.
    Balrog99
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited July 2018
    Today I'm turning 30.

Not a big deal. People around me act like it was, but it's just another day.

I hate the concept of birthdays in general. People coming to congratulate you like being alive is a big f*cking deal. It's not like I'm coming back from a war or fighting some fatal disease.

I love to celebrate things. The two times I entered College, I celebrated. My first internship. When I bought my first PC with my own money. My degree (I dropped out of Law school and went to Business Managment - kids, don't do this). My first job. My driver's license. My business consulting firm. My admittance in the Navy. Surviving the shot. Standing up, walking and running after that. My marriage. My daughter.

Things that actually matter. Not a f*cking lap of Earth around the Sun.

If people want to congratulate me, chose the right thing to congratulate. Deities of Faerûn, a well-written article, saving a small family business from bankruptcy, having sportsmanship in a burping contest with my daughter (I secretly let her win).

Things may sound confusing because in English people basically wish a nice day (Happy Birthday!); in Brazil, the focus is on the Congratulations (Parabéns!).

Last year I actually asked people why the f*ck they were congratulating me. No one could explain why.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=j6dXmsR4_VQ
    Balrog99
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Birthday is not the worst thing to celebrate, though. At least it shows you managed to survive another year on this planet. In my opinion many people are expecting and often are congratulated or are celebrating more non-accomplishments they have no control over.

So this is not my today's meh, but meh in general in assume:
    Nationality, race, gender, sexual orienation etc. None of these can be choosen and none are accomplishments. Therefore being proud of these is pointless for me.
    StummvonBordwehrBalrog99ThacoBell
    @Raduziel To be fair, at conception, you had at best about a 44% chance of surviving long enough to be born. So in light of the statistics, congratualations on beating the odds!
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790

The "pride" comes as a counter to being told you should be ashamed or that you are "less than" for being some of those things. The message is that "I'm proud to be who and what I am, and nobody is going to make me be afraid and ashamed to express it." The definition of "pride" in this context is "normal, healthy self-esteem."

Strange thing. I agree and disagree at the same time. Agree because countering being shamed over factors you have no control over is a right thing to do. Disagree because in our western society such shaming isn't considered a norm anymore. I'll add that even if absolutely no one will shame you for such reasons, pretty much everyone will be shamed for something other at some point of their lives. Getting a thicker skin seems like a way to go for me.

Also, I think people can get too far with this "pride". There is a reasons why nowadays slurs such as "racist", "nazi", "bigot" etc. are overused - and throught that, stripped of their actual weight and meaning.